Make a donation

Author Topic: Panel filters  (Read 8835 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Panel filters
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:36 am »
I have been thinking about buying a ITG panel filter, just wondering whether it will make any difference performance wise? It would be going in the standar air box  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Panel filters
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:27 am »
do you not fancy CAI?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »

Whereas CAI gives better performance increases, it means doing away with the engine cover and many peeps don't like to do that while under warranty. Also, unless you go the 'jonnyc route' of lots of very attractive looking but functional mods, the 2.0T FSI is fugly without a cover and slightly more open to the elements (wet).

Of the panel filters available, the ITG enjoys an excellent reputation and is a nice tight fit (said the bishop to the actress).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
I've been fine with the ITG filter, but some people have reported oil issues as it is an oil soaked filter. The pipercross filter would be better in this respect  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:18 pm »
I've been fine with the ITG filter, but some people have reported oil issues as it is an oil soaked filter. The pipercross filter would be better in this respect  :happy2:
Agreed I have always preferred the dry filters rather than the oiled as the latter can *sometimes*  cause issues with the MAF sensor.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »
Cheers for all the replies.

I do fancy a CAI but i am not sure i really want the noise that comes with it, thats why i have been thinking of giving a filter a try.

So a dry filter is the way to go  :rolleye:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:08 pm »
widget said he got an increase of 15nm of torque from the new vwr panel filter. quite impressive  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »

I can only report that I've had my ITG oiled filter for about 30k miles without any problems and regularly inspect it every 10k miles when I change engine oil.

I want a bit more noise so I'm possibly going to change to a VWR CAI in the next couple of months.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:03:10 pm »
widget said he got an increase of 15nm of torque from the new vwr panel filter. quite impressive  :happy2:

....Isn't that a CAI and not a panel filter?

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:23:10 pm »
When you buy your ITG its a good idea to lay it on a paper towel to soak up a bit of the excess oil and give it a bit of a dab.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:25:21 pm »

I thought widget had just got the panel filter Robin and not the full blown CAI as they are doing both aren't they?

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 01:39:06 pm »
I will have a look at the ITG and VWR ones then and give one a try. Thanks  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:05:53 pm »
widget said he got an increase of 15nm of torque from the new vwr panel filter. quite impressive  :happy2:

I thought widgit had just got the panel filter Robin and not the full blown CAI as they are doing both aren't they?

That's correct Dom, Widget has the VWR panel filter at present :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:27:43 pm by SteveP »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 03:09:05 pm »
I've been fine with the ITG filter, but some people have reported oil issues as it is an oil soaked filter. The pipercross filter would be better in this respect  :happy2:
Agreed I have always preferred the dry filters rather than the oiled as the latter can *sometimes*  cause issues with the MAF sensor.

My ITG filter was very wet and even after removing the excess with lots of kitchen paper towels still found it was dropping oil out of the bottom of the airbox. I have since changed over to a dry pipercross one, but will we looking to move to either the new ITG intake or the VWR one once they hit the market  :happy2:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 03:26:40 pm »
the roc is running a vwr panel filter, its foam and not oiled and will tide me over until i decide what to do intake wise, hopefully one should be on the Pirelli next week after its had a trip to daventry  :wink: