Make a donation

Author Topic: 4D Carbon Fibre Wrapping Looks Real Nice !!! - Pic Heavy  (Read 5807 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
4D Carbon Fibre Wrapping Looks Real Nice !!! - Pic Heavy
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »
Hey up guys,

Decided to wrap my gearstick surround and ashtray surround in the new 4D Carbon fibre wrap - (no ide why its called 4D - just 4th Generation)

But this stuff is really nice and looks the part. Has some texture and also has nice (but not too shiny) finish to it.

Here are some pics to show you what i did:

All Taken out:

Applied:

Cut out and bezel back on:

Ash tray surround done:

All fitted back in:

when dark:

might re-do the ashtray bit as the carbon stripes go a different way - Doesnt look bad, but might just change as i have some spare

Looks really good in the flesh thought - if you are thinking about the new 4D wrap - this is the one i got, cheap as well  :laugh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190764831163?var=490128682029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: 4D Carbon Fibre Wrapping Looks Real Nice !!! - Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »
Looks pretty good!  :happy2:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline vag12

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »
Very nice, going to do this myself, did you get the black colour option carbon? Also how do you take the surrounding off for the gear lever don't want to break anything

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »
Easiest way to do it is, slowly but firmly pull up on the gaiter, should just pop out. The hardest bit for me was getting the gear knob off the gear stick, dont know if mine was just stiff or what, but i had to give it a massive pull, finally came off. Then (if DSG) undo the circuit board for the gear lights.

Once full out, simply just pop the silver part off, best to turn it up side down and do it. went pretty smooth, all in all took about 1h 30min including removal from car.

Well worth it though as my plate was scratched and a new one would have cost about £150+ - so nice easy mod.

I chose the black colour - got 3000m x 0.75m - had plenty and a bit spare.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »

Decided to wrap my gearstick surround and ashtray surround in the new 4D Carbon fibre wrap - (no ide why its called 4D - just 4th Generation)

But this stuff is really nice and looks the part. Has some texture and also has nice (but not too shiny) finish to it.

might re-do the ashtray bit as the carbon stripes go a different way - Doesnt look bad, but might just change as i have some spare

Looks really good in the flesh thought - if you are thinking about the new 4D wrap - this is the one i got, cheap as well  :laugh:

....I noticed it and thought the change of direction was done on purpose and looked really good. And that was before I got as far as reading your words.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:35 pm »

Looks really good in the flesh thought - if you are thinking about the new 4D wrap - this is the one i got, cheap as well  :laugh:

....I noticed it and thought the change of direction was done on purpose and looked really good. And that was before I got as far as reading your words.

I know, it will be one of those things where ill re-do it so there all the same way, and then it will look worse, ill keep it like that for a few days and see how it sits with me...you recaro's would look quality in this stuff....even though you said you like the mat look

Offline Jamminjim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:16:28 am »
It's come out real nice fella!  How was it on the fiddly bits??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

your recaro's would look quality in this stuff....even though you said you like the mat look

....Agreed but I don't consider it worth the extra expense for me in rewrapping both my Recaro backs and all the alu strips which are already in '3D' vinyl. If the '4D' had been available when mine was done many moons ago I doubtless would have gone for it (subject to seeing a sample).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:27:20 am »
It's come out real nice fella!  How was it on the fiddly bits??

Surprisingly enough, it was quite easy. As long as you take your time and most importantly, get a very sharp stanley or medical knife.

Offline Jamminjim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:48:54 pm »
Ive took the bold step of getting some white carbon vinyl 1080...thought I'd try something a bit different from the black on black look.

Will get some pics up when I've had a play  :rolleye:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:57:52 am »
Old thread I know, but how did you get the circles so perfect around the PRNDS?

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
Old thread I know, but how did you get the circles so perfect around the PRNDS?
guess steady on your hand and a very sharp knife would help and a heatgun.

Offline DamoP

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »
looks really good mate. well done
MDI Armrest & Glovebox kits
MDI looms , iPod, USB & lightening Iphone 5 leads
Armrests, cloth and leather
Retro fit Armrest 6 CD changer/Ipod dock kits

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:36 am »
Did it by just cutting a small X in the middle of circle, then used heat gun to send the flaps inwards, waited for them to re-harden and cut with a sharp scalpel.

Just go slow and steady mate.