Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR 'Fast Road' Engine Mounts (full set) - Review....  (Read 39464 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: VWR 'Fast Road' Engine Mounts (full set) - Review....
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:29:07 pm »
I wouldn't mind hearing this from inside a car. I'm having the VF engine and transmission mounts fitted soon and wonder if they have a similar effect. :jumping:

u can listen to my solid mounts when i have them done no probs  :happy2:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
^^^^
Well, you already know that you would be most welcome to go in mine if we were nearer to each other, John :happy2:

The VWR (Fast Road) mounts have a solid aluminium body with the polyrubber contained. I'm not familiar with the VF mounts but IIRC, GTIjames has VF and he reported nice vibes. He'd be best to answer. And did jonnyc have VF's?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »
^^^^
Well, you already know that you would be most welcome to go in mine if we were nearer to each other, John :happy2:

The VWR (Fast Road) mounts have a solid aluminium body with the polyrubber contained. I'm not familiar with the VF mounts but IIRC, GTIjames has VF and he reported nice vibes. He'd be best to answer. And did jonnyc have VF's?

They are Jonny's that I've bought :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 09:55:13 pm »
I wouldn't mind hearing this from inside a car. I'm having the VF engine and transmission mounts fitted soon and wonder if they have a similar effect. :jumping:

u can listen to my solid mounts when i have them done no probs  :happy2:

Hardcore eh! :happy2: :congrats:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 12:41:01 pm »

....Not long now until you'll have an opportunity to hear the VWR version from inside my car (and me hear yours).

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:07 am »

Gosh! Time passes quickly when you are enjoying yourself - My VWR engine mounts have been in since last July.

So, quite a few months later I can report that I'm still as happy as the first day these were installed. I think they may be fractionally quieter but not, thank goodness, losing the glorious Grrrrrr. Sound is very dynamic anyway and the frequency levels and reverberations will change according to many variables and that, of course, means according to the unique package of goodies you have under your bonnet.

Apart from my fairly recently installed Forge Twintake, I'm now also hearing some nice whiney transmission sounds - Doubtless the diff. This is not a mod for everybody but more for 63yo racing driver fantasists.... Well, in truth, for the more hardcore enthusiasts.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 08:43:48 am »
Got to say my race versions have chilled out after a few miles on them and the little rumble i had with just the lower race mount fitted has gone and i just get the grrrrr like Robin.If you want a bit more grrrrrrrrr in your car and your engine not to move 1mm then these mounts are fantastic  :evilgrin: but the race mounts are not for every one and so go for the road version

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:56 am »
@RR

Whining noise?  Describe it further?  Possibly Not good IMO.  The quaife is not a straight cut diff, so should be quiet in operation..................... The gear box should be nice and quiet, unless you have a race GBx in there.........

:confused:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:19:24 am by stokeballoon »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
^^^^
Well, it sounds rather like either a straight-cut or race gearbox. You know how difficult it is to describe sounds accurately so I might pop over and see you in the not too distant future. I would phone/contact you to arrange first of course.

No adverse activity whatsoever though and not sounding worse or louder with time. The recent trackday on the Ring VLN circuit would have probably exposed a problem.

I'd be interested to hear what you think when you've heard it.  :drinking:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 11:35:52 am »
^^^^
Well, it sounds rather like either a straight-cut or race gearbox. You know how difficult it is to describe sounds accurately so I might pop over and see you in the not too distant future. I would phone/contact you to arrange first of course.

No adverse activity whatsoever though and not sounding worse or louder with time. The recent trackday on the Ring VLN circuit would have probably exposed a problem.

Happy.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
Getting mine fitted finally later this week, combination of VWR lower mount and BSH upper!  :pomppomp:

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »
^^^^

did you get the oil level checked robin ? think you mentioned it to me a while ago
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »
^^^^

did you get the oil level checked robin ? think you mentioned it to me a while ago

....Yes  :happy2: - All ok.

I went for a 50-mile spirited drive with a friend today and I did lots of things to induce the sounds. Some of the higher pitched sounds he couldn't even hear, but he is a lead electric guitarist!

The thing about harder aftermarket engine mounts is that you hear sounds transferred never heard before and you can get very curious. I'll keep trying to investigate it but I'm currently not unduly worried.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
i know what you mean about the sounds , and being a 4 pot dont help either
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:21 pm »
i know what you mean about the sounds , and being a 4 pot dont help either

....4-pot and FSI jingle-jangles etc.