Make a donation

Author Topic: Full Interior Carbon Fibre Wrap in new 4D Wrap  (Read 15726 times)

Offline Jamminjim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Full Interior Carbon Fibre Wrap in new 4D Wrap
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »
Carefully does it if you remove your clocks.... I did last weekend now I have a nice orange airbag fault light on my dash...    :rolleye:

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »
Took the dash out.

Unclip the trim piece from the bottom of the dash with the 'leather' bit that hides the adjustable reach on the steering column. It just pulls out, just a bit of gentle tugging.

Undo the 2 torx bolts holding the dash assy to the bulkhead.

The whole cluster then just pulls out from a multiplug fastened behind. No loose wires etc to worry about.

Then unclip the sections of the dash section by section. Eventually you end up with the instruments, an intermediate section of the dash with the glasses and then the front part of the housing.

Apply the wrap, cut out the clock apertures from the back with a pristine craft knife and then trim very carefully from the front to neaten up. Green turn indictators I did from the front, a bit delicate.

Then reassemble, being careful to ensure glasses are exactly in place on their rubber mounts.

Patience and thinking are key for your first go, once sussed its easy!

NB. I made sure I had a cloth to catch the two torx bolts in case they fell when removing/installing. A magnetic pickup helps recovery of fallen bolts. Be careful about touching the glass - fingerprints on the inside are impossible to clean without disassembly.  I used glass cleaner and latex gloves to reassemble the glass.  Its not rocket science, I did it!

I have to say, it looks good in real life.

Re the above post, make sure ignition is off maybe.

Offline Jamminjim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
Top job if you cut it all out yourself!

I managed to find a ready-cut carbon insert on flea-bay and that was tricky enough to fit....mabey because I had to feed the insert in through one of the dial apertures as the low-line instruments only split into two pieces.

Anyway, I made sure my ignition was off, I guess I'm just unlucky with electrics  :rolleye:

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:20 pm »
The best part is, after a short run out in the car, its knocked nearly a second of its 0-60 time, does 10mpg more and reduced my insurance premium by £200 per year.