Make a donation

Author Topic: Questions to those who have VF/VWR engîne mounts installed  (Read 14058 times)

Peskarik

I already asked llyun that question, but there must be others here who have or have had VF or VWR engine mounts installed.
I've also read RedRobins review of VWR lower mount.
VF mounts are of higher interest to me, though.

I have ECS dog bone insert installed now.

I wonder how much vibration goes into cabin when one changes only the lower mount (VF dog bone and dog bone insert) and when one changes all three mounts to something more sturdy (VF mounts, VWR fast road mounts).

I do not mind a little extra noise inside, but to a point...

Would be so great to hear from those who has experience with aftermarket engine mounts!!!

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Questions to those who have VF/VWR engîne mounts installed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »
I've got the VF lower/dogbone.

IMO you only need this one, no wheel hop and much improved traction - I dare say you'd benefit from all 3 with more power, but I haven't got it.

No noise & no vibration other than a little on take up when you're using the auto to crawl in traffic off the gas... this goes after it has bedded in though.

Inserts do nothing other than protect your exhaust mount.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »

I've recently posted a review of VWR's side engine mounts which now complete the set of 3 with the VWR 'dogbone' mount.

Linky : - VWR 'Fast Road' Engine Mounts - Review....

Answers to sound and vibration are under the headings THE SOUND OF MUSIC and GOOD VIBRATIONS. You'll have to put up with my enthusiasm! I experienced absolutely no sound or vibration when only the bottom mount aka 'dogbone' was installed.

I would expect the VF engine mounts to give similar results but have no direct experience of them.

Hope this helps :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Peskarik

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »
Tony, Red, thank you for your comments!

RedRobin, I'll read your review right away, merci!
 :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:37 pm »
its also worth considering how good your existing mounts are prior to this change.

I fitted the dogbone insert , which helped a lot but in no way did it solve my 'engine slop'
Remember too that  the lower gearbox mount from VWR and VF are not equivalents, they both attempt to fix slightly diff areas.

VWR fills in the void with solid rubber (road) or solid metal (race)  there is no straight bar component.

VF replaces the straight bar (theres a bush in there too in the OE one) and adds the insert , the original rubber mount (fitted to the lower frame is left as is)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:25:30 pm »

its also worth considering how good your existing mounts are prior to this change.

....Well, if they are oem, you have only to lift the bonnet and blip the throttle to see how much sloppy movement there is. It's what achieves that feeling of being comfortably numb which the average car owner (or his average missus) wants.

I fitted the dogbone insert , which helped a lot but in no way did it solve my 'engine slop'

....The insert (Neuspeed/ECS torque arm polythingy) will only help cure 'wheel hop' not 'engine slop'.

Remember too that  the lower gearbox mount from VWR and VF are not equivalents, they both attempt to fix slightly diff areas.

VWR fills in the void with solid rubber (road) or solid metal (race)  there is no straight bar component.

VF replaces the straight bar (theres a bush in there too in the OE one) and adds the insert , the original rubber mount (fitted to the lower frame is left as is)

....Very good point - I forgot that. Relates only to the bottom mount aka dogbone mount though (as you have written). I know that VWR have designed theirs on the basis of their race car experience - They've never had an oem bar break. 

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:59:42 pm »
I could't put up with that so its not a mod i am gonna consider. I did the MKIV dogbone and hated it. I think the novelty would wear of on some folks to.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:49 pm »

I could't put up with that so its not a mod i am gonna consider.

I did the MKIV dogbone and hated it. I think the novelty would wear of on some folks to.

....Is it the extra sound of the full engine mount set you couldn't put up with? - The dogbone bottom mount (by VWR, dunno about VF) gives no extra sound whatsoever on the Mk5.

As I reported in my review, the full set only vibrates at startup and does so in an extremely minor way - Just a gentle buzz if you touch the wheel or gear knob, then it disappears.

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about the Mk4 dogbone?

But sure, they won't suit everyone.

:smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:06 pm »
I could't put up with that so its not a mod i am gonna consider. I did the MKIV dogbone and hated it. I think the novelty would wear of on some folks to.

Completely different effect, I too had one on the MKIV and took it off in a month. The MKV suffers none of the same problems when upgrading it, but reaps all of the benefits.

The whole fitment and design is different, so it doesn't transmit straight down the chassis. It took 1-2 weeks to bed it in and eliminate the slight trace of vibration on rolling tickover - now there's nothing, I promise.
Sideways yo!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:51:15 pm »
i had the full set of vf engine mounts fitted back in January as I was getting fed up of the constant wheel hop i was getting when giving it some in 1st and 2nd.

they did solve the problem and now there is very little engine movement, the side effects were increased cabin noise and vibrations which I felt through the steering wheel, gear stick (dsg) and brake pedals.

first few hundred miles it was a little shakey especially when sat in traffic in gear, you got quite a bit of feedback through the wheel and the brake pedal, however it stopped if you changed the dsg to 'n'.

it sooned loosend up and the vibrations become less noticeable, I have now done a few thousand miles on them and never feel the brake pedal vibrate anymore only the steering wheel but very slightly.

would highly recommend them make a noticeable difference in all situations- accelerating, stopping, cornering, body roll etc less engine movement improves all of these areas and I can only echoe Robin's comment on the cabin noise

vf also recommend that after a few thousand miles you should go back and get them tightened  :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:52:49 pm by GTIjames »
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:32:59 pm »

vf also recommend that after a few thousand miles you should go back and get them tightened  :happy2:

....That's a good idea. I'll ask VWR to check/tighten up mine in due course.

Good to learn about the VF's, James :happy2: 8) :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:34 am »
....The insert (Neuspeed/ECS torque arm polythingy) will only help cure 'wheel hop' not 'engine slop'.

would have to disagree on that point RR.
Wheelhop or the thing we all call wheelhop (!), is a function of the level to which the engine is restrained (via the 3 mounts),the suspension components , the road conditions and tyres etc and the load through them.
For me and indicated by all the tuners the lower gearbox mount is the 'key' mount (as it control fore/aft engine movement/rotation) primarily , which for me is also classed as 'engine slop'
Therefore wheel hop and engine movement are inter-related (to some degree).
Thats not to rule out the influence of the side engine mounts as well.

On my car all 3 engine mounts have been checked by VW and Awesome and stated as 'within tolerance' / 'same as everyone elses'.
However for me the level of movement is unacceptable and still leads to excessive wheel hop if provoked.
There are some pictures on golfmkv.com that prove OE mounts all degrade significantly dependent on usage and mileage very quickly.
From reading all the comments on various forums , I cant help but feel that the 'baseline' position for engine slop/wheelhop   is VERY different between cars given the number of variables possible (wear / tyre type /susp changes etc...)
(interestingly its the same as people providing feedback on the best tyres when the cars are very different too ...)

I intend to change the lower mount first for a VWR one then take it from there , I may even consider 2 new side OE mounts (but this may be a false economy)
Ideally I also need to combine this with the VF / BSH solid gearbox bar too!
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:19 am »
^^^^
Thanks John :happy2:

I'm glad to be corrected on that - I prefer not to inadvertantly spread inaccurate information.

Yes, I agree - Various other factors such as suspension mods etc must surely have an influence. It's the package as a whole which matters.

I too might have stayed with just the lower mount as it clearly has the most tangible benefit. However, I am very pleased to now see no engine movement at all and I just lurve that extra Grrrrrrr! sound!

I find the solid gearbox bar very interesting and attractive too, but I find it easier to let VWR support their complete product rather than mix it up.

:drinking:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:33:37 pm »

Completely different effect, I too had one on the MKIV and took it off in a month. The MKV suffers none of the same problems when upgrading it, but reaps all of the benefits.

The whole fitment and design is different, so it doesn't transmit straight down the chassis. It took 1-2 weeks to bed it in and eliminate the slight trace of vibration on rolling tickover - now there's nothing, I promise.
Now that sounds better I did think about the Audi S3 ones which I believe are uprated as well?
 the mk4 one was real bad.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:28:36 am »
looks like powerflex do a replacement for the 'bush in the bar' (cue hilarious jokes lol) (as well as the traditional dogbone insert)
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Golf+Mk5+1K+inc.+GTI+%26+R32+(2004-)-737/1.html

"Lower Engine Mount Front" £20 which may be a cheaper option that VF/BSH fully solid kits
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD