Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Springs  (Read 10972 times)

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
VWR Springs
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:26 pm »
Why?

It's no secret that the MK5 Golf GTI is a fantastic handling car.  It's balance and poise are utterly fantastic and it drives using all 4 wheels, unlike some other hot hatches that seem to rely on fantastic front end grip and the rear follows.
For my use, the Golf always felt great, but purely for aesthetics I fancied lowering it a little.  I was reluctant to purchase a set of coilovers, as for the cars intended use, these would be over the top.  I also feel very strongly that for a good set of coilovers you have to dig deep in your wallet and then spend a long time getting them "right".
I was looking for a minimal drop.  I wanted to retain a comfortable ride.  Slightly better handling?  That would be a bonus.
VWR springs claimed to fit the bill perfectly.  Why are they not used more commonly? Well I guess because the 'scene' states your car must be in the weeds and, in all honesty the VWR springs are top of the budget. 

At this time I would like to confirm one thing.  VWR springs ARE made by Eibach, but they are made to VWR specs and are branded as VWR items.  There is a lot of chatter on forums about the springs being KW, Eibach or VW springs re-branded.  This is not the case.  It may have been previously, that, i don't know.

Sourcing

I purchased my springs from AwesomeGTI, but when they arrived they had actually come from GoAPR.  The price was the same and I liked how I could use the live chat on AwesomeGTI's site and the guys there are a great help. 
Delivery took about 6 working days.  Delivery time wasn't an issue for me and they arrived roughly when I was told they would.

Fitting

Fitting is a straight forward job for a competent DIY mechanic.  There is a lot of info on how to remove the shock body from the hub knuckle with a spreader tool, either from VW or home made.  I opted just to remove the whole hub and strut assembly as one piece.  I encountered a rounded off disc retaining bolt which made one side very heavy when re-installing the strut but I got there in the end.  A top mount nut also split away from the top mount meaning I had to cut it and replace.
I also replaced the top mounts with SKF items, the lower ball joints with Lemforder ones, all the top mount bolts with VW bolts and the hub bolts with VW bolts.  These are the latest bolts with the 12 point head that torque to 70nm + 90 degree's.
The rears are a piece of cake to fit.  Remove the lower arm bolt at the hub, replace the spring and re-do.  Easy.

Other versions

Eibach Sportlines - Very popular spring choice but I wasn't keen.  You have to pay roughly the same amount for the same drop with the Sportlines also.
H&R - Heard fantastic things about H&R springs.  They are roughly the same price but are commonly quite a hard ride. 
There are plenty of springs to choose from, but these are possibly the only 2 other competitive items in my opinion.

Plus points

The springs have lowered the car the promised amount and the wheels now sit nicely in the arches. 
The car definitely has more front end grip but has possibly reduced some of the loose rear end characteristics of the GTI, which I loved.  I havn't driven the car very hard since since fitting and the alignment is out but i'll update this in a few months again.
The ride is as comfortable as standard.  A little firmer than standard but not uncomfortable and my 5 month pregnant fiance said she didn't notice a difference.

Minus points

Non that I can think of so far

Summary

I haven't done many miles on the springs so far but I am impressed with the miles I have.  They have done what I was hoping, the car sits nicely now and they have retained a comfortable ride.  When I am back from offshore I will be getting my WALK kit fitted and the alignment done and I will go for a long drive and update this.

Only picture I have so far -

If anyone would like to ask any questions as I have done this review quite quickly, then feel free and I will do my best to answer for you.

Cheers,

Stuart

Redemption

Re: VWR Springs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32:41 am »
Nice review. :smiley: Look forward to your final thoughts when you've had the W.A.L.K fitted and alignment done.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:07:40 am »
I await your feedback with interest
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Donx22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:01:52 pm »
I second that! Fantastic springs, made by Eibach and developed by VWR and eibach.

Huge difference to the car. Not just lower! Ride comfort is still very good, feels like it should have from factory!

Offline blacky

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12:29 am »
Did you have an alignment done after fitting,if so was it out?

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »
Any update on these? Have you re-tested with the alignment sorted? Thinking of getting these myself soon.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:41 pm »
Hey guys

Sorry for the late reply

I've been working away from home a lot recently, and with the birth of our son back in June I have not had any spare time to get the alignment seen to.  It isn't drastically off but i'm sure it needs a tweak.  I have a WALK kit to fit stills so will wait until I get that on before seeing about the alignment.

The springs are still fantastic.  Couldn't fault them one bit.  The car is wonderfully compliant on every surface I've driven on. 

I've had a few spirited drives since fitting them and the car feels a little more involving.  The MK5, in my opinion, lacks much in the way of steering feel and this is still a little numb with the springs.  Perhaps fresher dampers would help here.

If anyone is looking to purchase a set of these now, I'd recommend dealing with VWR direct.  I purchased my exhausts from them and it was far cheaper than any retailer was offering.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »
To add to your comment, I picked up a set of these from Awesome GTI for £200 (with delivery) as they are offering them with £30 off at the moment (in accordance with APR's winter sale).

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Dosh

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »
How much drop front and back do you get with these springs?
Is it best to change the dampers also?
Thanks

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 12:00:32 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was interested in these springs as they don't lower the car too much. Anyone else got any feedback on them good or bad?