Make a donation

Author Topic: 56OctyVRS Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium  (Read 4845 times)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
56OctyVRS Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »
Hello. Thought I would post up my new ride on here as I used to have a Stage 2+ Octavia VRS mk2. After much deciding I decided to opt for a better spec car but one that was a bit cheaper to run, as I am now the sole bread winner.
I looked around and wanted something that was going to be fun to drive but good on my pocket.  I read various reviews and got to like the new mk3 Focus. Having owned two previous Focus, an MP3 1.8 petrol and the Mk1 RS Focus I knew Id be getting a good car. I searched locally and went for a test drive in the 1.6 Ti-VCT 125bhp Zetec. The car was well balanced and handles well but it fell short in the power stakes. I also had a drive in the MK2 FRS and was disappointed with it, but that's another story.

After searching further a field I found one at Lookers Ford in Sheffield. This was the one I eventually purchased as I was impressed with the drive and the spec. Plus the price too!  the car was on paper an ex demonstrator model. However it was actually the Business Centre Managers work horse. Brand new it would have been just over £22,000 to buy off the forecourt. They had it advertised at £15,000 and it was 8 months old at the time of purchase. I arrived and took the car for the drive and knew I had to have it. I haggled a bit, as I knew it was January and car sales are slow after the festive period so I was very cheeky and offered them £12,500 for the car.  To my shock and amazement they agreed and the deal was done.

The car is the 150bhp variant of the 1.6 litre Ecoboost engine and is a peach to drive. It has low down torque like a diesel so it is pretty nippy round town. I have lost 50 bhp over my std Octy and about 120bhp over my modded Octy, but I don't really miss the power. The engine revs freely up to the limiter and sounds pretty nice too, as it has one of the Sound symposers fitted that directs the engine note into the cabin. Looking at the engine and comparing it to my TFSi lump I realised that the Ecoboost engine was actually better designed.  The air filter on the Ecoboost is a cone filter inside an airbox and it is some size. Bigger than the K&N Gen II I had fitted on my FRS mk1. The std air filter fitted to my engine is the same that is on the 2.5l mk2 RS, so plenty of air going into my engine then!  The Ecoboost has both cams that are variable to increase economy and power, dependant on what sort of driving you do. The injectors are mounted on top of the engine and fit between the cams for better spray dispersal directly into the chamber. The fuel is pumped out at pressures of upto 200 bar. After having the Autotech internals fitted on my TFSI, I got wondering as to why VW couldn't have fitted a better pump as std. It has the active shutter grill to help with aerodynamics and has 14 different settings for different driving situations.

The car itself has Auto Lights, Quick clear Heated front windscreen, Heated washer jets, Dual Climate, Auto Stop/Start, Auto dim rear view mirror, Active Park assist, Adaptive Cruise control, 18inch Alloys, Privacy Glass, Keyless entry and ignition start, Sony DAB 9 speaker audio system with usb and Bluetooth connectivity, Voice activated commands, electric folding mirrors  LED rear lights, black front head lights (halogen, as the Xenon was only an option on the Titanium X)

All I plan on doing to it is a remap, which would give me in the region of 190bhp and still give economy. Superchips quote a 7% increase when driven normally. I get driving locally 32-35mpg and the best I have seen is 64mpg on the motorway. So not bad for a 1.6 petrol turbo.

Than you for taking the time to read about my car. I have included a few pictures below to show what it looks like.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:17:15 pm by 56OctyVRS »
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: 56OctyVRS Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »
It's a good looking car mate.  :happy2:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »
nice, rear lights are a talking point :wink:
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:51:02 pm »
Thanks Hedge :happy2:
I like the lights, but speaking to people I find the new shape is a marmite thing.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »
How does it compare to the Octy? I guess it's a similar size.  :smiley:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:22 pm »
Its smaller than the Octy and the boot isnt as big. Performamce wise its not that much slower than a std Octy. I find the Focus handles better and is a comfier ride. It doesnt bump and bang like my Octy but that was lowered. There is a tiny dull thud if you do hit a bump in the road. I do miss the Octy as it had a character of its own and was a brilliant car. But Im loving the Focus and lower running costs.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:46 am »
I finally plumber for a remap and went for the Superchips Bluefin.  The map is very smooth and the characteristics of the oe engine behaviour is the same but there is a lot more of it. Economy has gone up round town as it is much easier to drive with the increase in torque. It is surprisingly quick given that it has about just under 200bhp with a modified intake. Overall I am impressed with how it goes and even more impressed at the increase in economy. Next on the list is a high flow airbox from the ST and that's my modding done.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:15:05 pm »
Thought I would update the thread as it has been a while. I havent done much to the car since my last update but I have purchased a house and getting married this year.  So I havent been allowed to spend any on the cad recently.
I have fitted the ST high flow airbox and that has helped with power delivery through the rev range. I also fitted an uprated rear engine mount from the elecfric focus. It is similar to the THS items that have solid rubber bushes to eliminate vibrations. Recently fitted some more PS3 tyres. Almost went for the PS2 but am glad i went with the 3s, as they are better in the rain than the 2s.
I wont be modding this car anymore just yet I thought about either the Mountune mp200  pack or an Airtec inter cooler. But I am either going to swap it for the new Fiesta ST/ Focus ST. Or hang on for the Focus RS next year or the MK7 Golf R. So a varied choice on types of car there. But for now I am enjoying low motoring costs. I wont get a new Octy as they are now overpriced and to get the same spec as on my Focus. It would cost £33,000,  which is insane for a Skoda.