Make a donation

Author Topic: ABS & ESP Lights  (Read 12854 times)

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
ABS & ESP Lights
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
My ABS & ESP lights are both on. What is the cause of this & what is the fix? I have tried to clear the error with VCDS & it just popped back  :stupid:

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
Re: ABS & ESP Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:27 am »

Whats the error code ?

Once you have the error code, you can go to Ross Techs site, and it'll tell you the cause and how to fix  :happy2:

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:07 pm »
Shop #: WSC 00046 412 98304
   VCID: 4084F81A1363771861C

5 Faults Found:
01487 - System Function Test
            000 -  -  - Intermittent
01486 - System Function Test Activated
            000 -  -
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
            005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)

Any ideas?

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »

Here they are

01487 - System Function Test

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes
When found in Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) Brake Electronics Function Test Timed Out

Possible Solutions
When found in Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) Perform Brake Electronics Function Test

Special Notes
When found in Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) The Function Test on most ABS/ESP Systems should not exceed more than 50 Seconds

01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201): Electrical Fault in Circuit

Possible Causes
Brake Pedal Switch (F) faulty/jammed
Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check/Replace Brake Pedal Switch (F) See Measuring Blocks

Check/Replace Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) ABS Hydraulic Unit (N55) may need to replaced
 Perform Brake Pump Bleeding
Perform Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) Basic Setting
Replace Brake Electronics Control Module (J104)

Special Notes
When found in MK60 ABS/ESP Brake Systems: Check if the Repair Kit documented in TPI 2024465 (RoW VW), 2025290 (RoW VW Commercial) or 2025633 (RoW Audi) with the Part Number 1K0-698-517-B is compatible, using the Repair Kit allows to replace the Hydraulic Unit (N55) and the Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) separate from the Control Module which will reduce the Repair Costs.

Possible Causes
Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Setting lost

Possible Solutions
Perform Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Setting See Vehicle specific Diagnostic Procedures for Details

Special Notes
This Fault Code may also be stored even though the Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is properly calibrated (Basic Setting), though it may not be finally initialized yet. Check the Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) in the Steering Aid Control Module (J500 / #44) for details. The Initialization will usually take place during a test drive.

01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200): Electric Circuit Failure

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes
Wiring/Connections from/to Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200) faulty
Supply Voltage insufficient
Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connections from/to Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
Check Supply Voltage
Check Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200) faulty
Perform Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200) Basic Setting

01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes
Brake Pedal Switch (F) faulty/jammed
Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check/Replace Brake Pedal Switch (F) See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

Check Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

Check/Replace Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) and/or ABS Hydraulic Unit (N55)

Special Notes
When found in Bosch ESP Brake Systems: The Bosh 5.x ABS modules drop communication at road speeds which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to log live measuring block data. If the Brake Light Switch is suspected as faulty and causing a G201 fault: Try logging the Engine or Transmission for brake light switching.
 Drive with the Cruise Control on and see if the system works as per design. If the CCS will not operate or the CCS does not shut off when the brakes are applied the Brake Light Switch may be faulty.

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:23 pm »
You need to perform the basic settings. Had your clocks/steering wheel off recently?
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:27 am »
My clocks. How do I perform basic settings? Do I just have to use VCDS and do the required steps whilst moving?

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
Chris,

Have a look through these links mate. The first is the index with all the controllers and breakdowns. You should need 44 for the steering (2nd link).

Basic setting may take a few tries to get it sorted. Just read through the procedures a few times as they are in sequence. It helps to remember all the blocks so you're not spending time referring back to the web page.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=golf%20v%20ross%20tech&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.ross-tech.com%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%2FVW_Golf%2FJetta%2FBora_(1K%2F5M)&ei=2W04UZXCGMa2Pf_AgfgO&usg=AFQjCNF_fHObtmDExH-ATbE0XaY0Z3Ve0g&bvm=bv.43287494,d.ZWU

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Basic_Setting

EDIT: Sorry for the huge google link, won't allow a direct link from RT website.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:39:42 am by Luka »

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:26 pm »
If it is

Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)

then you'll likely need a new ABS pump. Common issue on MK5's - my ESP light came on Monday and its been scanned showing G201 (thread is in the technical section of the forum).

VW are footing the bill for me after a call to customer services. Worth a try mate - VW have been very good at helping me resolve this issue. Even contacted the dealers giving them the heads up I'd be in touch and they'd be footing the bill.

Google G201 MK5 Error code - loads of threads on it. 

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »
Chris,

Have a look through these links mate. The first is the index with all the controllers and breakdowns. You should need 44 for the steering (2nd link).

Basic setting may take a few tries to get it sorted. Just read through the procedures a few times as they are in sequence. It helps to remember all the blocks so you're not spending time referring back to the web page.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=golf%20v%20ross%20tech&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.ross-tech.com%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%2FVW_Golf%2FJetta%2FBora_(1K%2F5M)&ei=2W04UZXCGMa2Pf_AgfgO&usg=AFQjCNF_fHObtmDExH-ATbE0XaY0Z3Ve0g&bvm=bv.43287494,d.ZWU

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Basic_Setting

EDIT: Sorry for the huge google link, won't allow a direct link from RT website.

Thanks man, you have been a lot of help. I will give it a go Friday evening & see what happens!  :wink:

If it is

Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)

then you'll likely need a new ABS pump. Common issue on MK5's - my ESP light came on Monday and its been scanned showing G201 (thread is in the technical section of the forum).

VW are footing the bill for me after a call to customer services. Worth a try mate - VW have been very good at helping me resolve this issue. Even contacted the dealers giving them the heads up I'd be in touch and they'd be footing the bill.

Google G201 MK5 Error code - loads of threads on it. 

It happened once I removed my clocks though so I'm not sure  :P

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:37:51 pm »
This fault if dealt with correctly will be sorted FOC off the dealer but they'll need to scan it  to get the codes for warranty.

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:18 pm »
As said Chris, if it came on after removing the clocks, just perform the basic settings and you'll be fine. Again, it may take a few goes so don't give up if it doesn't work first time. Any problems I'll try to help.

Offline Manney

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:04:02 am »

I had a similar problem with similar fault codes.  It turned out to be corroded abs sensor rings in the rear hubs.  seems to be a common problem.  Check them before spending money on the ABS pump.

djpettsey

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 08:58:26 am »
Hi All, new here but thought i'd take the time to add to this post as i had this issue and solved it last night with the help of this post.

I had removed the clocks in my car with the intention of replacing them, unaware of the issues that came up after, i also had disconnected the battery with hoping this would reset some stuff, but turned out to put more warning lights on.

Goggle'ing the issue i came across this post, i had purchased a chinese VAG COM cable & VCDS from ebay for about £45, and using one of the posts above followed the exact steps along to remove the 3 codes listed in the ABS controller.  you have to do each one step by step to clear each one, the only 1 thing that gave me a headache was resetting the steering lock to lock.  Online it tells you to go to the left hold it, then fully to the right and hold it, but this never reset the light.  You have to go fully to the left and hold, then to the centre and hold, the fully right and hold, then back to the centre and hold, this will reset the steering wheel assist light.

Hope this helps someone else who made the mistakes i did, my original clocks are back in with a 2nd hand lcd unit( the bit that was bad originally), rather than another set of clocks which need to be programmed.

Thanks