Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9.. and 221bhp.  (Read 50494 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9.. and 221bhp.
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:16:07 am »
Right well bear with me as this is going to be a bit of a cut and paste special combining several years of work..

Setting the scene...

So I needed to buy a new car... Unfortunately I had no real cash, my only asset was a 6 month old Street Triple R that I had owned from new, which cost me over £10k. For those into their bikes, it had every single factory option you can get, from the twin arrow cans to arrow rearsets, Triumph race levers and quickshifters - It was my dream bike and every day I regret having to sell it..
I was also the youngest person on a Street Triple R at just 19 (I'm 21 now) I had to also balance costs as I was private renting as I live independently. I really don't know how I managed lol.

So with a tear in my eye it was stripped back to *nearly* standard, sold, and the aftermarket parts were sold to raise additional cash.

I then trekked up to Manchester after a month of searching for the right car... to buy this.

Nothing special.. Just any old regular Mk5 with a full service history, and I also got the cambelt and other vital organs swapped as part of the terms of sale.

I started off on the slippery slope that is modding, by firstly fitting an iPod kit. It took me a while to "get into" the scene but now it's safe to say I'm firmly there.  :drool:

The first "proper" mod shall we say was when I sprayed the engine, battery and fuse box cover.

At the time I did not realise you could actually split the main engine cover...  :congrats:

After doing some research into diesels prior to buying the car, I started to understand the potential of a remap and my choice of company was naturally R-tech.

Which took me to 149bhp and 264lb ft of torque.. quite a jump and it felt like a completely different car. I also got much better fuel economy which was a brucie-bonus.  :jumpmove:

I then started on the chassis by lowering it with Eibach Sportline springs.

Before:

After:

I was on the look out for a new set of wheels but I wasn't really interested in the typical BBS LM reps so waited around and ended up buying some A3 Sport alloys for £105, with 3 decent tyres (Michelin Primacys and a Conti Sport 2) and one budget. On Ebay I bought a part worn Conti Sport to match the existing one, and on the way back from collecting the alloys, I had the tyre shop I bought the tyre from to swap them over at no extra cost.

Which gave me this:

They were in dreadful condition and to fund a refurb, I sold my standard 15 inch alloys which all had Goodyear Tyres (as I do not believe in budget rubbish) for over £230, so I ended up quids in really.

Result of the refurb...

You might see a box for some coilovers in the background - Well we'll get to that later.

I fitted a GT rear valance in preparation for a tasty 'Zorst....which can just about be seen here.

I began looking to upgrade my lights and while I liked the look of the OEM Xenons, I realised that they were actually quite common and so I looked elsewhere..
In the end, I bought some Hella Celis which I got for a bargain price brand new from Ebay..  :drinking:

As my care of the car grew I started getting into detailing and started beginning to really look after the car and the paint. It also sparked me doing favours for family and friends and they would often provide me with a little monetary Gift for my efforts.  :laugh:

As at the time I worked for very little money that was about it for a while...

Winter came along which also brought Christmas...
Before long, and I thought it would be funny to go a bit crazy. So I bought some Passat B5.5 alloys, which were very similar in design to my standard wheels, and sprayed them orange in a borrowed Garage.

You might also see the Cupra R splitter which I had fitted as well, which sort of brought a little something extra to the front end.

I was given a Sat-Nav for Christmas, bearing in mind I have Nav on my phone... so I took it back and got the cash, and bought a highline cluster from Eddie which he fitted in his usual top-notch style.

I also fitted with the help of a mate, some coilovers. They are just JOM but perfectly adequate and got me a little lower.. I can't justify £800 on some coilovers.

I also fitted LED interior lights throughout and I had also fitted a Newsouth Boost Gauge to monitor boost levels.

Further to that, I painted my wheel nut covers, again in the borrowed garage, and fitted some uprated discs, pads and painted my calipers, shields and hub centres which were previously rusty and a bit mank, with some Hammerite.  :signLOL:

I did a little video documenting Ultimate Dubs 2012 and with a bit of my car just around my local area - which you can watch here if you were so interested

And that's Part 1...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:41:03 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=64pe5roti6ngkann3v69gkuab4&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9..
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:23:49 am »
Ooooo... my brother had a Triple R too....  :happy2:

Never mind the warm up act... get onto the BT!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:07:27 pm »
Starting to get expensive...

So carrying on with Part 2..

With the return of the warmer weather, and the removal of the winter wheels, I put on 20mm H&R rear spacers and brought my A3 wheels back out for some summer fun.

(before the eagle eyed viewer spots it, I did the above brake caliper painting AFTER putting the spacers back on..  :ashamed:)

I was in between jobs for a while, due to a falling out with my employer at the time over pay and conditions (I was an IT networking and wireless engineer regularly going out to customer sites) on £15k a year... so I think I was right to fall out with them, so I was temping at Dominos for a month until my new job started.

While I was giving the car a once over I noticed the typical arch rust that plagued so many cars..

After arguing with what seemed like the most inconsiderate and rude woman from VW over a period of days, I eventually got 100% goodwill gesture and it was repaired and the arch liner modded.

Piper put up a feeler for a car to develop their cat back for the 1.9 TDI platform on, on uk-mkivs (which is my "go-to" forum shall we say, I have nearly 10k posts over there) and I was luckily first to the finish line.
I ended up with a free 2.5" Piper cat back system sounded pretty good!

And a sound clip.. ignore me faffing around with the camera at the start of the video.

I thought I'd tidy up the exterior and sort a few bits out underneath so I bought some proper rear LED numberplate lights (the whole units) which are great, new top mounts, drop links, and Vredestein Sessanta tyres which I have ended up sticking with religiously as they are that good.

I was around at the right time in the right place, and managed to get some R32/S3/A3 8P 3.2 V6 front hubs, discs, calipers, carriers, lines, etc.. basically everything to convert my 50mm hubbed 280mm shod front end to the full 55mm hubs with 345mm discs.

I also nabbed the front seats from the A3 which were a little more supportive than the standard seats, and matched the interior pretty well..

I bought a set of GTI pedals for £50 brand new (they are often on Ebay from the Czech Republic... but they came wrapped in VW parts with genuine part numbers and stamps so they are all genuine).

Unfortunately some little sh*te decided to lob a brick or a rock at my car which dented one of the side pillars and put a big gash on the window.

I bought a replacement one from Ebay however, it was a different colour so I took all of the side pillars off and wrapped them all to match.

Yet more vandalism when a "friend" decided he'd jump on my bonnet which creased it..

I gave a local Dent Devils repair man a call following some good recommendations and it was on a "no fix no fee" basis.. he did manage to fix it luckily.

And here's the dent gone.  :innocent:

I bought a genuine Jetta bumper and trimmed it to fit the pre-facelift car without having to fit new radiator carriers and front crossbeams.. I then had it freshly sprayed by my local friendly bodyshop.

On the way to pick some grills up I had my first and so far only breakdown, which was a boost hose popping up. Unfortunately I had no tools and the hose was ruined so I had to call Mr AA.

On the plus side, we took a road trip with a mate and I picked the grills up... which I also had to trim to clear the rad-support.

With the help of my best mate (pictured), while the car was in the local garage waiting for a boost hose, I decided to swap the front end in the car park..  :laugh:

And the finished result...

I had a matching black badge on order from Eurowagens as it was of course different from the pre-facelift grill.

And a picture from GTI International while I did an appalling time of 17.3 on the strip, due to the crappy, greasy surface in the morning and wheel spin in 3rd.  :signLOL: :signLOL:

I slowly began sorting out some extra power... I got some PD130/ASZ injectors which flow more fuel than the stock PD105 injectors.

It was by now MOT time and the front LCA bushes were all shot so rather than faff around with new bushes I just bought GTI arms with new bushes

Which were kindly fitted by a mate.

And of course the obligatory tracking being done the next day.

And a pic from when I spent the day with a "car fwend, ohhhh!"

After replacing a rear caliper whichruined a set of pads in two months because it was sticky... or should I say seized.. I took the time to properly detail the wheels which had not been cleaned properly for a while.. which I was very ashamed to admit.

Quite a few pictures but you can read about that here

I also gave the car a full detail the following weekend resulting in paint that looked like this;

And a car that looked like this;

I found a US Spec GTI Cluster which I had fitted and coded which I really like.. The only reason for upgrading to the GTI cluster over my existing highline TDI was so I could have illuminated needles...  :star:

Then things started going downhill....quite badly.

After tyre shops and from many trips to mechanic mates for tweaks and changes the wheel nut covers were starting to chip...

I stupidly curbed a wheel which I was kicking myself about.

Then as I was moving into a new house with my girlfriend the car was keyed outside my mothers house overnight.

I was going to buy new wheels (some 3SDM 005s) as I had changed jobs and basically had two months salary in one but obviously that went to pot. I felt pretty bad. To top it off me and my girlfriend then broke up in the same week.. Talking about quadrupple whammy.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:48:41 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »
Time to man up.

So onto part 3.

I left you previously in pretty much the lowest point of my life previously, everything I cared about was either leaving or being damaged or vandalised.

After sulking for a few days, I managed to buy 20 litres of screenwash for £8 which surprisingly perked me up, no idea why..  :jumping: so I thought chin up, let's carry on with life and sort things out.

So rather than buying wheels or giving up on the project, which I was seriously considering, I threw all the spare money I had at the car and got the wheel refurbished and all of the paintwork done.
The car went into paint the following Wednesday following the keying (t happened on a Friday night) so I spent no time messing about.

I picked the car up and it looked beautiful once more and was getting back to the condition I always kept it in.

I switched the look up a little and smoothed the front grill and began to run it US-styley

Remember the ASZ injectors that I had lying around for so long? Well a friend (no longer unfortunately but still owe him a shout out for this) swapped my injectors over, set the correct clearances on the cam and injector lobes, and I had instantly a whole load more power, a lot of clutch slip (I had put a normal single mass conversion in by now) and a whole load of smoke!

I then took it to a local tuner for a map tweak, as R-tech were not willing to work on the car with the PD130 injectors. I had more plans but needed the smoke reducing for the few months it would take...

Which left me with just over 170 bhp.. not bad from a 105 with a stock turbo at 139,000 miles.

Started on a few rough edges, first being the wheelnut covers... so I bought some nice VW ones to match the rest of the colours on the vehicle.

I ticked over to 140,000 miles as well which is quite a bench mark to be honest especially on a stock and original turbo.. I do take credit for it, always allowing the car to warm up and cool down appropriately and servicing every 10k without fail.

To prepare for future increases in power I bought front and rear Whiteline Anti Roll Bars, which are 3 way adjustable, and arguably the best out there. I also had the oil and filter swapped and fitted a subframe spacer kit to stop the silly creaks and rattles from the front end.

Another road-trip to Eddie landed me an Arm Rest which does match the trim (it's just the iPhone photo which makes it look like it doesn't)

And a very very dirty car, which I jet washed clean at 10pm in a local petrol station.

I then began trialling a few car sealants, doing a little more in the way of detailing, while sorting out a new clutch...

After a whole load of trouble which included being sent a clutch kit that fitted but wouldn't disengage the clutch, meaning doing a clutch swap at 3am so I could get home from London....I finally got the right clutch kit I needed, which was a custom flywheel with a G60 friction disc and an uprated pressure plate.

(The JLS mug is not mine, leave it out).

I then took the opportunity late one evening to go out for a pretty raggo drive, the whole schebang... unfortunately I also got a puncture.

So I had to put the space saver on to nurse me home.. unfortunately the tyre was buggered but I had a spare Dunlop laying around at home which went on and I will be replacing both rear tyres next month.

On Boxing Day after going out for a meal I was driving home and a terrible clunk developed, luckily I was only a few miles from home so nursed it back expecting to find a loose drop link in the ARB or that the securing nut on the coilovers had worked loose but instead I found this..

You can read about that in more detail here..

Which was not cool... new coilovers under warranty and that was that one fixed.

I began replacing all of the IC hoses and seals in preparation for an upgrade...

My iPod kit decided to stop working so I replaced it and also gained another brucie-bonus that is charging of my iPhone!

So after months of talking and changing what I wanted and sorting dates out I finally had something aranged...

I went to Darkside Developments who are highly regarded as one of the best VAG TDI tuners in the UK and bought a GTB Turbo Kit from them with a GTB1756vk with a Vacuum conversion.

Here's the turbo.

And here's the result.

The car is on Darksides Website if you wanted to look which has a full kit list of what went into it;

I also have a video comparison of 30-70 in 3rd gear between my old circa 155-160bhp setup and the new setup with 221bhp, and I also had a hard cut limiter mapped in by the guys as well as the new tune being MAFless.

30-70 run
Hardcut limiter and exhaust noise

From a meet a couple of months ago.

I decided I was going to start the colour coding by having the front grill professionally smoothed and colour coded.

And a decent picture showing the US DRLs I have coded in with VCDS

(above photo by simonleedsphotography.co.uk)

Very recently I fitted an uprated dogbone mount to keep the engine movement in check with the extra power..

And only yesterday after work I put my recently aquired R32 rear lights on... which really sort the back end out I think.

And that's pretty much where I am with the project at the moment..
Got a few more things coming over the next months, wanting to colour code the rub strips, GTI skirts, R32 rear bumper (just need the lower valance really), Votex front splitter, new wheels and next year when the credit card is paid off, air ride will be coming.

Cheers for reading
Jay

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:38:52 am by xjay1337 »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:44 pm »
About time you joined on here Jay--excellent build thread :happy2:

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »
Good read, great progress! Love those headlights and DRL's, do they come in black like the gti? The whole front end looks spot on!

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:54:30 pm »
Are you Dr. Doctor on edition? You seem to have had quite a bit of bad look props to you for sticking through it all.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »
About time you joined on here Jay--excellent build thread :happy2:

Too right!  :happy2: Looks good man, look foward to the furture!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:17:54 pm »
Cheers guys.  :smiley:   :love:

Yeah, originally it's the classified that brought me here.. being a dieseler didn't really think much about posting but another forum can only be a good thing..

Good read, great progress! Love those headlights and DRL's, do they come in black like the gti? The whole front end looks spot on!

Thanks mate, no they only come in that colour. You can either split them and Joey-mod them yourself (I think one guy has done this before but I am too scared; I'd buy a spare set to do that) or you can just Lamin-X them.  :happy2:

Are you Dr. Doctor on edition? You seem to have had quite a bit of bad look props to you for sticking through it all.

I am...  :confused: :fighting2: Just don't tell anyone.  :P

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »
Hi Jamie

glad to see you have found your way over here :happy2:

you will start spending more now that you are here too :signLOL:
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:06 pm »
Welcome aboard Jay. We are a friendly bunch on here. Glad to see you here as well as UKMKIV'S  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:55 pm »
Welcome aboard Jay. We are a friendly bunch on here. Glad to see you here as well as UKMKIV'S  :happy2:

& Edition... (Boo Hiss)  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »
Your golf is awesome and you've gone through ALOT! Your golf has helped you through hopefully :)
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:00 pm »
Wow, great transformation!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9..
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:20 pm »
Just enjoyed reading this through ..I also have a 1.9 105 tdi ..ive had mine mapped but mine only made 142.2bhp  ..I don't find mine any better on fuel though ? 

sent using my own fingers