Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 GTi engine knocking - Cam chain,tensioner and adjuster --SOLVED--  (Read 30990 times)

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Derpage - Urban Exploration Photography
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,112764.0.html
I have the infamous diesel knocking sound coming from the car which is audible inside the cabin on my 2006 GTi.

After days of research and popping into a couple of indys for their opinions I'm fairly confident it sounds like its the cam chain, tensioner and adjuster issue.  I have tracked down a couple of online manuals and to be fair, providing I get hold of the correct 'VW Cam Locking Tool'' it looks to be a fairly straight forward job.

Everyone says its not going to go bang, it more of an annoyance but I want to get it sorted.  Only thing is no one has done a DIY which for such a common issue is strange, I know the parts are expensive but I'm just wondering whether I'm missing something that makes it a dealer only job?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:18:38 pm by matmk5 »
My Urban exploration photography website www.derpage.com

Offline warby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Mk5 GTi engine knocking - DIY cam chain,tensioner and adjuster
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »
Get it done, I saw the chain when it came off mine and was bloody glad I had it done. It was fully goosed with loads of play in all directions.mine didn't need the cam timing adjuster thankfully.

I had mine done at an Indy for less than £300 using genuine parts with a dsg oil & filter change too :)
Mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30, DSG, Tornado Red, 3dr. #0117

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Mk5 GTi engine knocking - DIY cam chain,tensioner and adjuster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »
What milage where you's on?

Offline Samu

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:47:22 pm »
Have you got part numbers for everything thats needed? Or can you buy a kit from somewhere?

If you have the part numbers or a link to a kit, if you could post them that would be greatly appreciated.  :happy2:

Offline warby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:10 pm »
Ebay link to chain kits if youre not wanting to buy genuine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=tfsi+timing+chain&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I dont have the genuine part no's handy as im at work but i can get them if needs be.

I was on 48k when i bought the car, thats when i noticed the rattle, the pikey dealer i bought it from didnt want to know as 'they all do it'. My chain was knackered, you could twist the links quite a bit and the chain was sat slack on the tensioner when the garage took the cam cover off.

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:59 pm »
Have you got part numbers for everything thats needed? Or can you buy a kit from somewhere?

If you have the part numbers or a link to a kit, if you could post them that would be greatly appreciated.  :happy2:

Calling in at VW Mansfield on the way home to get some prices together.  I was hoping someone who has done it DIY could give me an idea if its obvious when the cam adjuster is knackered.  To get to the chain, adjuster and tensioner, its pretty much just remove the HP fuel pump and cylinder head cover so only an hours work.  Checking slack in the chain and tensioner should be easy enough but not really sure what it is on the adjuster that defects and whether its obvious from visual inspection. iF anyone could let me know I would be very grateful.

I have found a tool kit for sale locally through Ebay which provides the cam shaft lock tool, spanner and socket bit for £80.

Offline Samu

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »
Part numbers would be great, only do Genuine VW parts  :happy2:

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:52 pm »
FAULT SOLVED :pomppomp:
Just thought I would update with a great result!

I had a week left on the 30 day warranty I got with the dealer (Autoworld at Chesterfield) so called back there before booking it into an indy to get sorted.  I went in armed with the assessment the Indy had given me (likely the cam chain, tensioner and adjuster need changing), printed a schematic drawing of the engine showing the three parts and highlighted them and wrote a detailed description of the fault.

Dealer asked me to drop the car in so they could have a listen and to my utter amazement said 'yep, dont think it should sound like that, we'll get you booked in an sort it'.  I have to say, I absolutely expected 'they all sound like that mate... tata'.

Dropped it in to them on Wednesday, got a call the same afternoon to say they had ordered all three parts, then got a call this afternoon to say it was all done.  Have to say, even at this point I was not expecting it to be sorted although I had a little faith due to them being a franchised Seat dealer and workshop.

Picked it up and OH MY GOD! Its like a new car, absolutely silent on tickover, feels tighter and sounds wonderful... the TDi effect is completely gone, cant express how good it feelt pulling into the petrol station and no one shouting that I was putting petrol in a diesel lol!!  

They have indeed replaced all three parts just to be sure, Cam chain £90 Gasket £30, Tensioner £80, Cylinder Head Gasket £40 Cam chain Adjuster £300 and about £350 of labour so about £850 in all, all covered under the basic warranty.  I was told if it had been left there was enough slack in the chain that it would have evntualy either snapped or jumped taking the engine with it.

So, massive respect to Autoworld and the helpful staff there... no quibbling or arguing, just sorted it quickly and got me back on the road,  and if your GTi sounds like a TDi, its and expensive fix but well worth it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:17:10 pm by matmk5 »

Offline kahunajb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »
Nice one good result there. :happy2:
05 Laser Blue Mk5 GTI - Revo Stage 1

Offline Richie_101

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »
... if your GTi sounds like a TDi, its and expensive fix but well worth it.

Good to hear that. I've got exactly the same problem and I'm hoping to have the same work done next week.... no warranty though. :sad1:

Out of interest, what's your mileage? (Mine's a 55 plate AXX with 101k).

Rich.

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Mk5 GTi engine knocking - Cam chain,tensioner and adjuster --SOLVED--
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »
hi Richie mine is current having this done same engine code  as yours I have been told not to expect a lot of change from a 1000 pounds worth off beer tokensomy friend

Offline Richie_101

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »
hi Richie mine is current having this done same engine code  as yours I have been told not to expect a lot of change from a 1000 pounds worth off beer tokensomy friend

Thanks for that, you're really cheering me up here. :grin: Similar mileage too?

Rich.

Offline warby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:45 pm »
I took a punt on not needing the adjuster and it paid off. I will however get it done once all the other little jobs are finished and I'm a little flusher.

Good to hear it cured your noise and I would whole heartedly recommend anyone with a loud / rattley / tdi sounding gti to have at least the chain & tensioner done if only to stop it munching the engine :)

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
Mine was 68k mate... I dont think its a milage thing, the indy I went to said they had just done a Cupra with 25k on the clock, just luck of the draw.

Just glad I took it back and they were so good with sorting it, most companies would be looking to do a minimum cost fix just to get them through the 30 days so it becomes my problem and the two indys I called into before for advise both said the same as GJSEB, dont expect much change from a grand  :scared:

Relieved and please when I got the call this afternoon  :jumping:

Offline warby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »
Mine was rattling when I got it at 48k no doubt it had been doing it for a while.

2005 (55) axx motor.