Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 488478 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:01:42 pm »
Hey all..

Just thought I would get myself on this new forum and start my build thread on here..

Some of you may recognise my previous car, VF Engineering RSS S3, sold only last week, only reason being that I had finished the project, and wanted to move on to something new! :)

Heres a couple of pics of the previous project.. Ended up with 417Bhp 385Ft/Lbs  :happy2:

So I used to have a MK5 GTI, one of the first cars really, lots of things were done to the car and I eventually sold it to Regal Autosport, they are now using it as there demo shop car! Running same turbo kit as the S3 had, goes like stink, really nice car!!

My Old GTI..

So now you have a bit of background ill introduce you to the new project!!  :smiley:

Fully Specced MK5 GTI Ed30 in Candy White (couldn't bring myself to choose any other colour) standard as you like!!

The car has DSG, bit of a strange decision really, but after driving lots of DSG cars I have to say I have came to quite enjoy it, and with some trick bits in the pipeline, im glad I made the call! Plus it definitely makes the car faster, not just the speed of the gear change, I can change as quick in a manual, but its the way that its changes to seamlessly, the engine doesn't ever need to recover boost between changes, which makes a huge difference on these cars!!

Got an intake being made for the car, something pretty special, should not only perform really well but look fantastic at the same time, pretty excited about it actually!!

Exhaust will be on soon, going for a Milltek 3" downpipe with no cats, and a custom 3" cat back exhaust..

I picked up wheels for the car yesterday, need a little bit of work but they are going to look really nice, doing something a little different here, should look fantastic!!

Ermm, going to have the car mapped ASAP, this car feels very very slow after the S3, as you would expect! But its good fun to drive, just as I remembered my last GTI

The grille was taken off immediately to have the red grille strip painted in body colour, just looks pretty custom, sacrilege to any true GTI fan im sure  Also having the plate holder removed and the grille smoothed over and re-painted black

Coilovers have been ordered, I really wanted a coilover which would allow me to drop the car a fair bit, that narrowed it down to two different sets really, the H&R ultralow's (which I think are exactly the same coilovers that H&R fit to the S3) and the FK Konigsports

Obviously the H&R brand speaks for itself, good quality, but no damper adjustment and a pretty heavy price (£950) considering that they are basically a KW V1 coilover with short springs (KW retail the V1 kit at £650)

I was a little unsure of the FK's, I have done a lot of research and found out that the shock bodies are made by Koni, full stainless steel etc with adjustable rebound, and the springs are produced by FK themselves, and the price is £670, really just adjustability decided it for me so I went for the FK's, they should be on the car within the week hopefully

The last couple of things.. I removed the radio controlled car look radio antenna and replaced it for a black anodized aluminum version, much smaller, looks far better!! And fully de-badged the rear of the car..

(quite small) Private plates are going on tomorrow all being well  :happy2:

Thats pretty much it for now, not bad after owning the car for less than 48 hours

Jonny
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:34:22 pm by jonnyc »
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline madman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 12:08:37 pm »
get in there fella :happy2: keep the updates coming :wink:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »
Will do, should have another big update on Friday, wheels, suspension, intake all going on then  :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:45:34 pm »
welcome to the forum, cars look good  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:55:11 pm »
Jeez Jonny your numbers must have come up or I'm in the wrong job!!
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

matt a

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 03:54:12 pm »
Looking forward to updates Jonny, no doubt we won't have to wait long before we see some serious mods.

Nice meeting you on Saturday.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:00:54 pm »
Cheers mate, yeah cant wait to get the car sorted out..

As I said lots of bits going on friday but I should have the Re-map, fuel pump, TB exhaust and intercooler done before christmas too.. Once im at that stage ill relax for a little while and then work on saving for serious performance mods..

LSD, Big turbo kit, Brakes, full engine/gearbox mount kit and probably some more bits too hopefully, looking forward to seeing some serious development on the 2.0T FSI engine in the next 6 months  :smiley:

Cant wait anyways, this is going to be the best project yet  :happy2:

Jonny

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »
You gonna be trying the new DSG Remap Jonny?

I'm surprised you moved away from the quattro especially with the quest for big power.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 04:18:42 pm »
You gonna be trying the new DSG Remap Jonny?

I'm surprised you moved away from the quattro especially with the quest for big power.

Yeah very interested by that actually, love the idea of being able to hold gears, rev higher etc etc.. So basically when its in manual you have full control! Also the clutch pack upgrade, depending on what power in looking for, torque will be limited anyways with tuning, pointless with FWD really!!

I would like 450BHP with around 350ft/lbs, you would be very surprised, a well set up FWD car with high quality plate type LSD and sticky tyres can cope with that power no trouble at all, its the torque and sudden boost that will break traction, so its all in the tuning really  :smiley:

Jonny

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 05:44:11 pm »
What wheels were fitted to the S3??? They are very nice!!

Great collection of cars, great plans.

Im looking forward to this!!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 05:48:11 pm »
What wheels were fitted to the S3??? They are very nice!!

Great collection of cars, great plans.

Im looking forward to this!!

They were Speedline Turini's 18x8 ET42.. I had them powdercoated satin black, looked great, and very light too!!

Thanks, looking forward to friday!!! arrghh.. lol

Offline RobMKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:59:03 pm »
Howdee Jonny,

Welcome back to Golf ownership,

So come on them what wheels you going for?
New Golf on the Way :D

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:50 pm »
You will find out Friday :wink:

They are very very nice though.. I hope they fit!!! (thats a clue by the way) lol..

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 10:13:05 pm »
You had the grill smoothed and painted? How much was that? I paid £77 (inc delivery) for a whole new grill without plinth holes.
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:17:40 pm »
Not had it done yet, I have painted the grill strip painted white, not got the grill smoothed and painted yet, I was looking at the new grill option too, I have a friend at VW UK so ill see if he can sort me out with one, seems a better option than spending money on the original as I can always sell that on..

By the way the wheels are BBS and 18" but thats all im giving away  :P