Make a donation

Author Topic: Cooper's Mk6's  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Cooper's Mk6's
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
Been a member on here for quite a while now from when I had my Mk5 but though I'd throw up a thread about my current cars

Copied from a local forum I use........

So at the backend of last year I decided to get rid of my Mk4 GTTDI, Mk4 R32 and the Missus’ Yaris and get two new Golfs. With a baby on the way the R32 and her 3dr Yaris weren’t very practical so I bought Mk?Craig’s ex demo GTD and a shiny new Golf R!

Bye bye R32 :wave:

Hello GTD and Golf R

And after their first wash……

First thing I did was get an RNS 510 OEM Sat Nav for both of them and the plan was not to mess with them as they were fine as the were apart from a few OEM+ mods, however it wasn’t long before I spotted a set of H&R lowering springs that I thought would make the GTD look a little bit better so after fitting them and some yellow Lamin-x to the front fogs here it is

Not the best pic, but I’ll get some better ones next time I give it a wash!

And onto the R, again this one wasn’t going to be modded but I thought where’s the fun in that, so I’ve been spending a bit of money getting bits together which should be going on in the next couple of weeks
First thing I did was fit a Forge PCV Catch Can, as a preventative measure to stop all the valves getting coked up and restricting the engine

Then onto the bits I’ve got waiting to be fitted……..

I’ve got the turbo back Milltek non res exhaust

VW Racing Intake

Autotech HPFP, no photos of this though as it doesn’t look any different to the standard one, it’s just the internals that are uprated

Forge Front Mount “Twintercooler”

Bilstein B16/PSS10 Coilovers

H&R ARB’s

Whiteline uprated Droplinks and a Vibrotechnics Lower Engine Mount

Also got a Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and Bump Steer Kit, but haven’t got photos of them

And finally I’ve got some VW Racing 6 Pot front brakes which are currently away being fully refurbished in Candy White to match the car

Plans are to get the bits all fitted and a remap which will put me at stage 2+ which is roughly 360-380 bhp and similar torque figures.
I’ll  not be able to get more power from the car without going Big Turbo or WMI but I’ve got no plans to do that as it’s still a daily driver.
Also got a few other little bits and pieces coming, which should tighten up the chassis and the and I’d like to get a Haldex Controller but I’m in no rush to do that as the Gen 4 Haldex System is massively improved over what was in my Mk4 R32, the only immediate plan is to get some new wheels, I’m fancying either Compomotive MO6’s of MVS’ but want to wait until I’ve got my brakes fitted so I can work out clearances

Plans for the GTD are to fit some spacers I’ve got in the garage to the rear to sort the stance out as the rear wheels are a little tucked with the standard offsets and then DPF and EGR removal and a remap to roughly 210bhp and about 350 ftlbs of torque and 60mpg :D I’ll also be fitting the standard 345mm brakes from the R on to this one once I’ve got the VWR brakes onto that one.
C63
SQ5

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Cooper's Mk6's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:47:28 am »
So I had the car up to BFT this morning for a session on the Rolling Road before I started fitting the bits I've got waiting to go on so I've got a baseline and can see the effect of the mods.
Anyway, the car is completely stock apart from the Forge Catch Can which offers no performance gain, and it would seem I have quite a healthy car.......

The official stock BHP for those that don't know is 270bhp

After this I had a spare half an hour so thought I'd get cracking and managed to get my VW Racing intake fitted

I also got my Forge DV with a yellow spring fitted but forgot to take a picture so will get one tomorrow!
Initial thoughts are the car seems a little more responsive, although this may just be the placebo effect it's hard to tell, roll on tomorrow when hopefully the exhaust and chassis mods are going on :D
C63
SQ5

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:10 am »
So finally got round to taking a few pics of the mods while I was fitting my front mount today, also found this one of a comparison shot of the the stock downpipe vs the Milltek 3" Downpipe

So here's one of the Front Bilstein B16/PSS10 Coilover fitted

Really impressed with the quality, here's one of the adjuster at the bottom of the strut

One showing the Whiteline Adjustable Droplink

And one showing the H&R ARB, I forgot to get a comparison shot against the stock one

Here's one of the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit fitted

And here's the Tyrolsport Deadset Collars on the chassis bolts

I took the car for a 4 wheel alignment at Teesdale Tyre and Exhaust and the car handles great now, feels really sharp and there's no roll and the ARB's are on the softer setting and the coilovers are set around the middle for the damping settings so there's plenty of adjustment still to be played with

Also got one of the Forge DV before i started on the front mount

So here's the front mount on

and this is it with the bumper back on, quite discreet unless you know what you're looking for

First impressions are the car seems more responsive, I'll have to get back down to John's to get it on the RR to see what the improvement has been to the car without it being mapped yet.

Still haven't got any pics of the rear after fitting the Milltek and also none of the rear suspension as I haven't had the rear wheels off since it was fitted!

Just waiting on my calipers to come back from being refurbed and will get them fitted followed by a remap and then it's pretty much done until I get some new wheels but there's no rush for them!
C63
SQ5

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:51 am »
So finally got some pics of the brakes back after the refurb, just waiting for them coming back to me in the post and then will hopefully get them on weekend after next just before the meet

Just waiting for the VWR decals to be re-applied and the carriers for the rears are being re-finished as Jonny at Brake Caliper Refurbs wasn't happy with the finish the first time round!

Also got a few shots of the R courtesy of Rado-Steve on the way to and from Le Mans for JohnMc's stag do over the weekend

C63
SQ5

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:52 am »
So the calipers are back and should be going on this weekend as long as they fit behind the wheels

Also does anyone what these wheels are:

They're advertised on the Pulman VW website as part of the VW Racing Upgrade package they offer but they're not the same as the wheels shown on the VW Racing's own Website and I much prefer these ones!?
http://www.pulmanvolkswagen.co.uk/vwr/otherproducts.php
They look similar to the Sportec wheels but these only have 9 spokes whereas the Sportec wheels have 10, any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:55:23 am by Cooper »
C63
SQ5

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:31 pm »
Hi

Don't think those wheels are made anymore, but they were VW Racing.

They sell these now, which look like Team Dynamics:

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/parts/vwr-18-alloy-wheel-6/

MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:20:53 pm »
I thought as much, shame as I'm not really a fan of the current ones
C63
SQ5

Offline TheBIGJAYY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:05 pm »
 :drool: loving both of the mk6's mate! must say i prefer the R though  :happy2:

Rainford Accounting Services
Tel. 07875505637
Email. jrainfordmaat@gmail.com

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:05:13 pm »
Done a bit of googling and those wheels were made by a company called flashpoint and it seems they aren't made any more so I'll have to find an alternative! May just have to stick to my original idea of Compomotives
C63
SQ5

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:18:42 pm »
looking excellent Andrew..look forward to seeing the r if you go to the next Vagcar meet and when you doing my fog lights in lamin x :signLOL:

Offline Neilgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 06:53:13 am »
Done a bit of googling and those wheels were made by a company called flashpoint and it seems they aren't made any more so I'll have to find an alternative! May just have to stick to my original idea of Compomotives

I had these fitted to my mk6 Gti a few years ago, got them from VWR and yes they were made by flashpoint  :happy2:  

Great looking R by the way  :smiley:

MK5 GTi
MK5 R32
MK6 Gti, all gone but not forgotten
Now loving the 7R

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:48 am »
oooh those are pretty, really like those myself!

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: Cooper's Mk6's
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
Wow great reading

sent using my own fingers

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:16:16 am »
Excellent tread with lots of progress.
I have a couple of comments:

1. Could you elaborate as to the bonus of running these "Tyrolsport Deadset Collars on the chassis bolts" sounds interesting so far  :drinking:

2. Also the Catch can to prevent the gunk on the valvestems sounds like a good idea, but the valvestem gaskets is made to allow a tiny amount of oil slip through to lubricate the valve stem and you cannot avoid that so you may minimize the gunk but you can't avoid it unless you go WMI. IMO the better solution is to block off the PCV and change oil more aften which most of us do anyway as the gunk will stay inside the engine and in the oil. Then go WMI to prevent what should come past the valvestems gaskets  :happy2:

Bur excellent progress so far  :notworthy:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Daltzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:06:39 am »
2 Lovely cars there mate. Do the new wheels have to be VW Motorsport? What about something after market?