Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine mounts - the Teutonic_Tamer method . . .  (Read 22785 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Engine mounts - the Teutonic_Tamer method . . .
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
Cheers shaun  :happy2:

theory on amount of relative amounts of movement seems sound.
:happy2:

RE: silicon a cop out / porsche active mounts , I was making a joke that it was too easy for a man of your talents  :grin:
Ahhhhh - - I often have a sense of humour failure! :ashamed:

and that you could have copied porsche
Porsche Active Engine Mounts linky
My RS4 has active engine mounts - as do virtually all longitudinal Audis.  They are the bees knees! :star:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 11:40:06 am »

Now with correctly set adjustable ARBs and properly restrained ponies - there is no need for a Quaife.

Oh, final comment to report - I too now hear the 'whine' from my DSG in 2nd gear - I think this was also reported by RedRobin.

....I agree with your findings about the big benefits of these engine mounts but am surprised by your Quaife comment. I can see how the mounts would lessen the work the Quaife needs to do but I need convincing that a Quaife is of no benefit when such engine mounts are installed. Or am I taking your words too literally?
A Quaife, or any ATB diff, works by apportioning torque to the side which has the most grip.

On a 'normal car' (ie unmodified), loss of traction from one side is simply down to differences between the co-efficient of friction between the tyres (and therefore, the tyre with the lower friction, or grip, will spin and brake traction - with an open diff).  The obvious cause is lack of wheel control from the suspension - correctly set ARBs will reduce this quite dramatically.  But another cause of loss of traction is abrubt variations in radial/axial torque control - two fundamental causes - 1/ excessive play in the mounting of the powertrain assembly (the engine & tranny 'rocking' backwards and forwards around the same axis), and 2/ intermittant interuption of torque delivery by traction control systems (either by momentarilly killing the ignition, or by momentarilly braking driven wheels).  By eliminating powertrain play, the transmission of torque is vastly more consistent (no more axle tramping or wheel hop).

So, with uprated engine mounts, AND correctly set ARBs, and turning off the ESP - the need for a Quaife or similar is VASTLY reduced.  I have to try VERY hard - seriously hard, to get any cross axle loss of traction.  But then I do run decent boots!  :P

Obviously it's reassuring and good to know you're hearing the same (or similar) 'whine' as on my car. There's absolutely no effect on performance that I can detect due to the 'whine'. Fortunately I'm someone like Mat who actually enjoys all the added sounds from the engine bay - As one becomes familiar it becomes easy to spot any changes in sounds which may herald a problem which needs solving. I absolutely hate quiet cars! 

:happy2:
Usually, whining from gearboxes is NOT good - however, this seems to be a 'factory fitted' trait! :evilgrin:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 11:43:48 am »
anyone got a pic of the mount split apart ?
I cant quite picture where the voids are and how the mount moves (car side vs engine side)

from this page
http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/product/FR3_TOP_Engine_Mounts_1.8_TFSI_2.0T_FSI%7CTDI_THSFR3-MK5TOP
I found, but it still doesnt quite make sense

does the other side just slot in ?
Those pictures just show the inner part of the tranny side mount removed from its outer casing. :wink:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:51 am »
Revo Carl & BDMAlex - maybe those THS FR3 lower rear mounts have a slightly smaller outside diameter than the OEM mounts.  Or maybe I filled my new OEM mounts with too hard a grade of silicon - there was jack all movement in the centre bolt when nipped together - and NOTHING was able to compress them to shrink the diameter. :sad1:

And like I said, all of my local stealers were adamant that you could only install these lower rear mounts with the special tool to pre-shrink them.  Maybe I just ought to take EVERYTHING the stealers say as BS - afterall, they also categorically stated that the R32 rear anchors could not go on the GTI - and many know the hot water that landed me in after I shared said info on the forum!  :ashamed:
------

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »
Maybe I just ought to take EVERYTHING the stealers say as BS - afterall, they also categorically stated that the R32 rear anchors could not go on the GTI - and many know the hot water that landed me in after I shared said info on the forum!  :ashamed:

Well if all you are doing is regurgitating BS from elsewhere then maybe we should treat everything you say as BS.

:popcornsoda:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:27 pm »
Well if all you are doing is regurgitating BS from elsewhere then maybe we should treat everything you say as BS.

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

I've just spat my brew over my Keyboard :congrats: :congrats:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 07:18:49 pm »

INCOMING !! ....

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:21:02 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!