Make a donation

Author Topic: GFB DV+ OEM Diverter upgrade kit  (Read 105565 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
GFB DV+ OEM Diverter upgrade kit
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »
I have been lucky enough to get hold of a Go Faster Bits (GFB) DV+ kit so will be doing some ongoing reporting & reviewing.

What is it?

The GFB Dv+ kit is a kit that has been developed to improve a known possible weakness in the TFSI boost system.

It works by replacing some of the original parts of your DV, whichever revision you may have.

Above the picture clearly illustrates the parts in the kit.

Sales speel

Lifted from GFB website - See here

The solenoid coil itself from the factory-fitted valve is great (the ECU opens it faster than any pneumatic valve so why replace it?), but the weak point however is the valve mechanism itself. So GFB’s DV+ solves this problem by replacing just the valve parts with an anodised billet aluminium housing fitted with a brass piston machined to exacting tolerances.

The end result is sharper throttle response, lightning-fast valve actuation, and it will hold as much boost as you can throw at it. Read all about the DV+ story on the next page.

Other manufacturers’ products involve replacing the entire system with a traditional pneumatic valve, requiring long vacuum hose runs, additional parts for tapping into the intake manifold vacuum, plus either a different solenoid valve to actuate the pneumatic valve or a ballast resistor to plug into the OE wiring loom. All these additional items result in a product that is slower, less responsive, more expensive and takes much longer to install.

GFB’s DV+ solution on the other hand is more responsive, less expensive, easier to install, and doesn’t cause compressor surge/turbo flutter. Oh, and it doesn’t require different springs or frequent re-builds.

Where from?

Mine was supplied by Julian at Balance Motorsport

Balance Motorsport Contact Page

I have dealt with Balance a couple of times before and Julian has been helpful on the phone and prompt in comms by email.

How Much?

The Dv+ Kit is £99 inc Vat

Alternatives

Retain OEM standalone DV
Forge DV
Forge Supersize DV
Evoms Dv
and probably quite a few more...

Fitting

Fitting is very straight forward on the Ko4 TFSI.  Probably a little more awkward on the Ko3.

Took me a couple of minute max including double checking the O-rings where located correctly and dabbing some oil on the piston with my finger. (Wear gloves)

There is a very clear colour fitting guid in the box.

Just remove this part of your DV and add the DV+ kit as per the picture. (This is the part you would check if you had issues with loss of boost)

Why bother?

The rubber diaphragm DVs have been known to split.  I have had a Rev C valve split.  The ko3 cars might be particularly prone to splitting diaphragms as the DV is nearer the turbo and gets much hotter.

The kit removes the rubber part of the DV and replaces it with a piston, providing a fit and forget reliability upgrade.

Testing

With fitting being so easy it will be dead easy to do a back to back at the next track day.

I will be contacting Keith at APR Motorsport this evening about the use of their Dyno for a back to back test also.

So far I have done 10 miles or so (8 Aug).  It actually feels like throttle response has picked up a little.  The car went very very well.  It is a cool evening and there isnt much fuel (read weight) in the car.
On WOT the needle on the boost gauge doesn't quickly flicker as boost climbs like it usually does.  The fluttering noise from the engine on WOT seems to have gone too!  I have tried my stock and st2+ map.

I have a run to Cheshire and back on Saturday so should give the opportunity for some different driving conditions to feel any noticeable differences.

I am in contact with someone else testing one on a St2+ Cupra too.  I will add any of his thoughts and findings ver batum.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:32:25 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: GFB DV+ OEM Diverter upgrade kit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
As promised, Lees findings;

"Hi mate. Yeah I like it. Noticeable improvement for me. Amd said it gave just under 10 hp increase on before and after RR. This is what I wrote on the AMD FB page:

I’ve had the new DV+ on for a few days now and have had time to drive the car about.  What I immediately noticed  was the improvement in throttle response , I have a 1:1 linear REVO throttle map on the car and have always found this a little slow to respond  compared to the ‘normal’ map but with the DV+ you get the best of both worlds.
Ive also found It gives a smoother control of initial power.
Power wise I think the car feels like it pulls harder through the full rev range instead of tailing off towards the top end, I’m not sure if this is the ‘placebo effect’ or not.  But overall the DV+ noticeably improves the drive.

I was surprised to be honest I thought it was a bit of a gimmick. Even the wife commented on the improved smoothness of the car, and I never mentioned it had been fitted.
"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:36:55 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:13:26 am »
Do they think this is advantageous over the D 'piston' type valve?
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:48 am »

It has been reported that the D type can leak boost.

I think it was R-tech Nick that bench tested some D valves.

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
Yep, so if its proven to work and be reliable, this could be an ideal solution.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:32 am »
does look good, not surpised Mike already has one though!  :P

I'll add it to my leon once the throttle body problem is resolved... I know what you mean when the needle flutters/surge even* on the boost gauge as I get it on mine (REV G)

Good review  :happy2:
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:42 pm »
Group-buy  :happy2:
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:58 pm »
Group-buy  :happy2:

Well reminded...

Hi Rich
I think you want one of these but don't want to buy one. The man from GFB said he'll give you one to trial
For everyone else if we can sell 5 then I can offer 5% off - I expect I can also save on shipping - just need to get a quote from the post office - special delivery is £8 but signed for will be about £6
For 10 or more then we can do 10% off the the price
cheers

Julian

Offline BalanceMotorsport

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »

It has been reported that the D type can leak boost.

I think it was R-tech Nick that bench tested some D valves.

The plastic piston valves leak so badly you can blow through the DV with them in closed position. Tests in Holland  on another thread reveal they are equivalent to a 6mm hole in the intercooler. Now of course peak boost will still be achieved with a 6mm hole in the intercooler BUT the turbo will be working harder and therefore generating more heat and the engine will be using more fuel. The lack of flutter and surge are the same benefits claimed with the Respons TMS valves but they're vacuum valves and you wouldn't install one of those, where you have the choice of superior factory solenoid control together with the leak proof and reliable DV+ piston.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:10:45 am by BalanceMotorsport »

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »
+1 for a groupbuy  :happy2:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:41 am »

The car performed fantastically at Cadwell park yesterday.

I did forget to remove the DV+ for back to back.  Certainly wasn't lacking boost.
I think the improvement is small but noticeable.  It helps to be able to see how the boost gauge behaves as well as the butt Dyno.

I think the Dv+ would give a sensible bomb proofing of the oe valve.  Yes you could buy a couple of oe replacement valves but this gives a fit and forget option for less hassle.  With what feels like the added benefit of crisper throttle response.

I still aim to back2back Dyno.  I am eager to hear what Mr. Wigley finds and thinks about it.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=v188fe1eb881j97n6fpkbr0q83&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:54:44 am »
No word off Julian yet.... i did PM him.  :happy2:

Offline _Dejan_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 3
    • www.carpc.si
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63938.0.html
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 10:04:42 am »
Im also for group buy(If there will be option to ship it to Slovenia)...

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:03 am »
I'd have one in a gb :happy2:
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:13 am »

There are several up for a GB on the VagTuning and leon owners club Facebook pages