Make a donation

Author Topic: I've been robbed by a member, Paul Woodward.  (Read 20579 times)

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
I've been robbed by a member, Paul Woodward.
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
A few weeks ago, I created a thread in the wanted section for some 50mm strut coilovers.
I only received one reply from it, from a 'wheelygood', offering some APs.
The price and item condition etc. seemed realistic, not too good to be true or anything..

He told me he didn't have PayPal, so I'd have to pay via debit card.
I obviously felt pretty dodgy when he'd said this, but since this was the only set I could find, I didn't really have much choice..
He allegedly posted them via courier on the 30th of August, last Friday.
I started getting concerned when they hadn't arrived after 3/4 days, since couriers are usually quite quick.
I checked the couriers website on the 7th, to find that the max. estimated time of delivery was 5 days, and it was already passed that.

When I asked wheelygood for a tracking number so I could find out what was going on, he immediately turned to swearing and name-calling, with excuses that he was working away all week.
I then threatened him with the police, saying that I had the pm thread, his name, bank details, etc.
He replied with:-

"go to the police see if i care, and i can guarentee you do not have my name, address or bank details"

Can anyone help? I'm a student earning next to nothing, and spent my summer holidays earning the money for those coilovers :sad1:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:46:35 pm by woahnowboys »

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 450
Re: I've been robbed by a member.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:41:41 am »
It makes me mad when these things occur in a forum community setting between members.   :fighting:

Who did you pay when using your debit card? As you know you get no legal protection for purchases using one vs a credit card.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:31 am »
It makes me mad when these things occur in a forum community setting between members.   :fighting:

Who did you pay when using your debit card? As you know you get no legal protection for purchases using one vs a credit card.

Yeah, it sucks that people like this exist, especially in the VW community.
I paid a "T Whelan", which I thought at the time was him..

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:05 am »
Did you pay over the phone (suggesting he has a business account) or by a bank transfer?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »
Did you pay over the phone (suggesting he has a business account) or by a bank transfer?

Via bank transfer. The interesting thing is that I checked his sort code, to find that it's for a branch based in Birmingham, whereas he told me he was located in Liverpool..

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:39 pm »
You have paid in the worst way possible . This can be reported to the Police/Action Fraud and then there will be a wait . The Police will be able to ascertain who runs the bank account you paid the money to , this may not reveal an actual person though as many bank accounts exist that were opened with fake details . These accounts are rife and the banking authorities fails big time on their checks . Good Luck
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

Via bank transfer. The interesting thing is that I checked his sort code, to find that it's for a branch based in Birmingham, whereas he told me he was located in Liverpool..

Thousands of Bank Accounts are based in different locations to the Holders actual address , You open an account in Bournmouth and move to sheffield , why would you change your branch ? Also Online accounts are based at a location and the user is based in another .
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:08:05 pm by garrardrj »

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:49 pm »
Thousands of Bank Accounts are based in different locations to the Holders actual address , You open an account in Bournmouth and move to sheffield , why would you change your branch ? Also Online accounts are based at a location and the user is based in another .
I know that there are possible legitimate reasons for a distant branch, but I thought I'd add, as it fuels the idea of a fake account.

You have paid in the worst way possible . This can be reported to the Police/Action Fraud and then there will be a wait . The Police will be able to ascertain who runs the bank account you paid the money to , this may not reveal an actual person though as many bank accounts exist that were opened with fake details . These accounts are rife and the banking authorities fails big time on their checks . Good Luck
I will be going to the police, and hopefully I'll be able to get my money back, but at very least this thread may stop someone falling into the same trap.. Provided anyone else is stupid enough. :(

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
Check out the sellers post history and makes no real constructive posts , a bit about football and selling stuff ! Looks IFFY to me straight away . Only a recent forum member too . His IP address will assist to in tracing them and the Forum will be able to pass this to Police too . Trouble is many scammers use mobiles and ipads and hook up at Costa Coffee wifi etc .

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:04 pm »
I know that there are possible legitimate reasons for a distant branch, but I thought I'd add, as it fuels the idea of a fake account.

I will be going to the police, and hopefully I'll be able to get my money back, but at very least this thread may stop someone falling into the same trap.. Provided anyone else is stupid enough. :(

Well i have five bank accounts (Four santander 123 accounts) and none of them are in the same location as i live , I would imagine the majority of accounts are not at a location where the Account holder lives and is no evidence at all of something dodgy going on . Generally only businesses have their banks where they are based due to paying in money etc

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
Well i have five bank accounts (Four santander 123 accounts) and none of them are in the same location as i live , I would imagine the majority of accounts are not at a location where the Account holder lives and is no evidence at all of something dodgy going on . Generally only businesses have their banks where they are based due to paying in money etc
Yeah, I know it's not really evidence of anything, I was just thinking that maybe he actually lives in Birmingham, but told me Liverpool, to try and sort of cover his tracks. But yeah, like you said, it's not necessarily anything to go by.

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »
This seems to bean ever increasing problem on the board. I keep hearing of this much more frequently. From now on any purchase if its not in person is going to go through pay-pal with the added charge for protection. No consolation but  do the "sellers" get banned from the forum when they do not send the goods out?

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
Can't you do chargeback on your debit card. Contact your bank and ask for details...

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:47 pm »
A few weeks ago, I created a thread in the wanted section for some 50mm strut coilovers.
I only received one reply from it, from a 'wheelygood', offering some APs.
The price and item condition etc. seemed realistic, not too good to be true or anything..

He told me he didn't have PayPal, so I'd have to pay via debit card.
I obviously felt pretty dodgy when he'd said this, but since this was the only set I could find, I didn't really have much choice..
He allegedly posted them via courier on the 30th of August, last Friday.
I started getting concerned when they hadn't arrived after 3/4 days, since couriers are usually quite quick.
I checked the couriers website on the 7th, to find that the max. estimated time of delivery was 5 days, and it was already passed that.

When I asked wheelygood for a tracking number so I could find out what was going on, he immediately turned to swearing and name-calling, with excuses that he was working away all week.
I then threatened him with the police, saying that I had the pm thread, his name, bank details, etc.
He replied with:-

"go to the police see if i care, and i can guarentee you do not have my name, address or bank details"

Can anyone help? I'm a student earning next to nothing, and spent my summer holidays earning the money for those coilovers :sad1:

Why did you via the muppet via Bank Transfer. Really feel for you fella.  :sad1:

I've PM'd him and told him about this thread and asked him to respond, let's see if he gives any excuses reasons. You never know, there might be a genuine issue but it does sound VERY dodgy.

I know you don't want to hear this but don't but anything unless you know them, they are a trusted seller/member with a long history on the forum OR without at least a picture with their user name and date written next to it and also its Paypal only. Pay the fees, its worth it. If a seller won't agree, walk away.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »
I am sure he would have not done it for a "Western Union" Transfer , but with every "Private" internet purchase you take a risk . I have seen hundreds of examples of this . Treat every purchase as if it is dodgy is the best way forward .