Make a donation

Author Topic: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ Build - Forged engine and BBT Hybrid  (Read 28841 times)

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ Build - Forged engine and BBT Hybrid
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
Hi all. Ive been a member on here for while now, mainly for advice and technical help which has always been answered so much appreciated to those who helped. Ive never posted any pics of my car so thought its about time I did. I want to start this thread to show people my ideas and keep track of the progress. I have tried to carry out most of the work myself with a little help along the way, as I want to learn the skills and mechanical knowledge for future projects. Im no mechanic but with a bit of research and help from you guys its possible. Anyway heres the spec:

05 plate gti
85,000miles
diamond black

- forge twintake
- forge dv kit
- 3" milltek non res cat-back
- 3" exhaust uk 200cell hi-flow sports cat and downpipe
- AP coilovers
- whiteline rear adjustable arb

- Genuine ed30 front bumper smoothed
- Genuine gti grill smoothed and wrapped matt black (+ lipstick to be sprayed custom colour and fitted next week)
- Tinted foglights
- Votex side skirts
- US Spec rear bumper with colour coded rear valance
- De badged rear

TO DO....

As the previous owner did not take very good care of the car and after a closer inspection at work found that the ps of the car has been repaired but not logged on the V5. Nothing major but they did a poor job so Im having to sort it.

Respray ed30 lip as it has been scuffed and rear bumper upper section
Repair dents in the DS rear arch
Repair dents and re-aline the ps side door

- Custom true CAI
- Custom dv relocate
- Custom Boost pipe (IC-TB)
- Custom catch can
- Revo stage 2 remap
- S3 front brake setup
- TTS engine cover
- clean+shave engine bay (relocate battery/fuse box/coolant tank)

Not much then
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:16:04 pm by tommygti »

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Tom's Project DIY
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:07 pm »
Really like what I am seeing... Can't wait to see the wheels and this post updated.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »
Cheers. The crappy quality of the iphone and my lack of photography skills dont really do it justice. The bodywork needs some tlc. Once the wheels are on and stance is sorted then I'l be happy. Wish I could afford to fit air ride as the roads around me are a nightmare.

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:19:59 am »
looks good but that number plate it taking a lot of air away from the ic/rad.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »
Little update. The keskin kt1's arrived after a months waiting. In very good condition, looks like they have just been resprayed, but could do with the lips been sanded better.They came without any centre caps even though I payed for them so need to chase the seller up again. Need to buy some spigot rings, new bolts, and then get tyres fitted.

I test fitted the rears. They are 10j et30. Poke slightly more than I thought they would so looks like Im going to have to get the arches rolled? Anyone know of a good bodyshop that can do it near liverpool?

Thought i'd start stripping, sanding, and polishing the lips.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:39:24 am by tommygti »

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ build
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:17:44 pm »
So..... this thread has been dead for the past 2/3 years as I have been back at Uni doing my Masters so the car basically sat there doing nothing. This gave me alot of time to collect parts and decide which direction I wanted to take the project in. Now that I have more freedom/time to get things done and I'm finally earning money I can revive the thread and show you some updates. Anyway since my last post things have changed a little. The bodywork has got worse and could do with a respray so that will be on the cards somewhere down the line once ive saved enough cash and got the more important jobs out the way. Ive fitted a new cam belt kit + water pump and over the next couple of weeks I will be doing a complete engine oil flush, replace the pick up pipe, and a inlet valve clean.

The spec as of now:

Engine
BCS turbo back
Forge Twintake
Forge DV
Autotech internals
RS4 FPRV
Aircon delete
RS4 coilpack
NGK iridium sprak plugs

Suspension
AP coilovers
Superpro ALK
Superpro full f+r polybush kit
S3 alloy wishbones
Whiteline f+r ARB's
subframe spacer kit
replaced ball joints and front subframe bolts

Drivetrain
42dd shifter bushings

My intention was to go no further than stage 2+ with a good suspension setup so I could do a couple of track days. Since then things have spiraled slightly. If your going to do it, do it properly so...

TTS K04

Mishimoto J-line fmic intercooler

Sachs organic clutch and plate

Alcon 6 pot brakes

and some bits that will be arriving from the US soon:

BFI Stage 1 mounts, USP runner flap delete, AWE dv relocate, 42dd shifter bracket bushings, Osir vent gauge pod (not pictured)

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:03:51 pm »
Nice thread revival there  :happy2: Looking forward to seeing this take shape!
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »
Very nice. Love the brakes.

Are you still going to try and squeeze those Keskins on? They're a lovely wheel.

Should make good power with the k04 and the rest of the hardware. Careful of the Autotech pump internals... a few respected tuners much prefer Loba/APR.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 10:42:17 pm »
Very nice. Love the brakes.

Are you still going to try and squeeze those Keskins on? They're a lovely wheel.

Cheers. They need powder coating though and some of the pistons may need replacing. Ive been in contact with Reyland Motorsport about some custom 2 piece discs and brackets but they will have to wait till ive done the engine 1st as money as tight at the minute.

I sold the Keskins along time ago. Ive moved onto some 18" Rial Daytona splits wheels now but im considering selling them as the they don't work well with big brake kits at all.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »
A few more parts to be fitted

High flow boost pipes (ebay)

with K04 Muffler delete

Alloy pipes and silicone hoses for custom fmic+hard pipe setup

Custom catch can setup (Tegiwa baffled catch can, 034motorsport pcv plate, AN10 fittings+hoses, 42dd block off plug)

Cheap engine oil, engine flush fluid, new pickup pipe, sump gasket, and cam cover gasket
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:40:50 pm by tommygti »

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »
So a little update. Ive been busy most weekends so Ive not had chance to get much done. I did however find time to change to do an oil change, filter change, and new oil pickup pipe installation. The filter was fubar'd so I caught it just in time. The plan is to run the cheap oil whilst doing all the engine cleaning and maintenance jobs before a full engine flush and upgrade to Millers Nanodrive. Last weekend I got busy fitting the BFI engine and trans mount. The difference in both noise and handling is very noticeable. The car seems to pull more aswell under throttle.

I also managed to get my custom catch can setup installed. I made temporary mounting bracket as it will be moved over to the right hand-side of the engine bay once the car goes off to SS Autowerks for some fabrication work. 

Next big job is the cam chain and tensioner change which I will be attempting this weekend.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »
Really like this thread. your doing it the right way id say.

Any reviews on the RARB as I'm looking to get one next

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
Really like this thread. your doing it the right way id say.

Any reviews on the RARB as I'm looking to get one next

Cheers. I can't afford to make mistakes so Ive meticulous planned the upgrades in stages gathering all the correct tools and parts to get the job done properly. Ive learnt alot about mechanics along the way so that's a benefit. I also have an addiction to ebay so all the parts have just accumulated over the past year.

When I installed the rear arb I also did the coilovers so I couldn't say exactly but it did seriously stiffen up the rear end and improve handling. I would definitely recommend it. I then did the front arb, SALK, and full polybush at once and the difference was light and day. I just need a good set of tyres now. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:10:27 pm by tommygti »

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ build - Soon to be TTE420 powered CDL
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:05:51 pm »
So things are escalating quickly and my pockets are getting lighter even faster. Ive bought a CDL engine with 27K miles on it ,which I am planning on fitting along with a TTE420. I also have a few billet trick bits for the engine and transmission which will be arriving from the US over the next month. I'd like to believe ive done my fair share of research but I would like a little advice from fellow members who also run the TTE420. The setup I am looking it is as follows so if you can advise on additional parts I should look at I would appreciate it?

-CDL (Stock internals)
-TTE420
-APR HPFP
-DW65 LPFP
-R8 injectors (new revision similar to RS4 but without black smoke)
-155 FPRV
-06A oil filter housing conversion to run a Mocal external oil cooler
-I.E. valve cover
-Custom catch can and pcv system

I have all supporting stage 2+ parts such as fmic, TBE, intake, R8 coilpack, etc.. I also have a sachs organic clutch with DMF but I am not sure of the torque ratings. I have been in contact with Alex @AKS and her recommended looking into an LSD so thats on the cards. I will be getting R-tech to do the mapping. Any advice is appreciated as always.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ build - soon to be TTE420 powered CDL
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:31:23 pm »
You're pretty much bang on with that list Tommy, as Alex has already said, you'll need the diff.
I'd also suggest a GFB DV+. Mines just eaten two rev g DV's in two weeks  :scared: