Make a donation

Author Topic: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ Build - Forged engine and BBT Hybrid  (Read 28825 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ build - slow progress
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
Is that a 38mm wastegate?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 07:07:39 pm »

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ build
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 05:08:00 pm »
Small update. I bought some VIS motorsport hpfp internals to swop out with my autotech pump. I had a spare pump off the CDL I bought so I cleaned it up and painted it ready for the rebuild. I also painted the throttle body and I'm painting the alternator, tensioner, and bracket just to tidy the engine up ready for the engine build. Whilst the manifold was off I fitted the USP RFD kit. My box of goodies was shipped from the US aswell so hopefully will be here by the end of next week.

My next job is to decide what turbo to get. Ive been weighing up a Borg Warner EFR turbo vs Gtx3071r. Most of the feedback is mainly a mixed view; some say get the EFR as it spools better than the gtx and holds constant boost, whereas others say the gtx is alot easier to map and fit as the EFR requires an independent control/management system. What are peoples views on them? I'm only after around 450hp and both units comfortably reach those figures with around the same price bracket aswell.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
My parts arrived from the US. I'm slowly but surely gathering all the parts so I can start the build itself. Ive decided to go with a gtx3071r .63 A/R turbo with tial housing. Collecting it next weekend and hopefully going for a ride in a 550hp mk5 with the the same setup to get an idea of the fun.  :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:41 pm »
I'm glad you bought the VIS hpfp internals as I did that about 6weeks ago  :grin:

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 12:02:34 am »
So it has been a very long time since I have updated the build thread but I just have not had the time. Since the last post the project has taken another direct. I have decided to Forge the bottom end and go BBT K450 hybrid K04. It is a prototype turbo so don't really have many details yet but I believe it is based on their already successful K430x unit which so north of 440hp on rtech rollers so plenty of fun to be had. I'l see where this takes me and if I decided to go BT later on then most of the hard work has already been done.

I sold the CDL block and bought a used AXX block for a steal. I dismantled the block and dropped all the parts off at Ee Lye Racing in Runcorn as they are doing the bottom end build for me. I would love to have ago myself but I have never build an engine before and even with the aid of youtube and tons of tutorials I just can't risk something going wrong.

The block is getting hot washed, honed, and then painted before assembly beings.

The crank gear was an absolute bitch to get off as I did'nt have the VAG locking tool so made my own with an old crank pulley. Worked a treat.  :drinking:

And the end result

I kept the CDL head I removed from the block as it is in very good condition (only done 28K miles) and obviously has the better cams fitted. It is getting inspected and pressure tested, cleaned, walnut blasted, and skimmed before it gets fitted. A few of the bottom end parts, brackets, sump, etc are getting cleaned and painted the same colour as the block.

I decided to go with wossner pistons and ZRP rods from TSR performance as they have been proven to be a good package.

Here's a quick breakdown of the engine spec;
Wossner pistons 82.5mm
zrp rods (rifle drilled)
ACL Race bearings
1.8t oil pump conversion
ARP head bolt set
CDL cylinder head
I.E. valve cover
New block and head gasket/seal kits, water pump, timing belt, etc
Fluidampr crank pulley
1.8t oil filter housing with I.E. adapter plate to run a mocal oil cooler

Not a small list and that's not all of it. The block will hopefully be back by the end of the month and Ee Lye Racing are going to document and take pics for me so I will update you with the progress as it comes. Been waiting on the turbo for a good 6+ months now but I am aware it is a prototype and can understand they don't want to let it go out the door until it is 100%.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Tom's MK5 GTI OEM+ Build - Forged engine and BBT Hybrid
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 07:16:10 pm »
Ive had a set of S3 alloy hubs and KW V1 coilovers laying around for a while now so had chance to get some work done this weekend. I already had S3 wishbones, whiteline ARB's, SALK, and fully polybushed so I'm pretty happy with the suspension set up now.

To save time I fully assembled each leg so I could just swop them over. KW V1's, S3 hubs, new bearings, TTRS top mounts, new track rod ends, and bolts throughout

Test fitted my alcon 2 piece discs and brackets. The kit runs a huge 370mm disc. Might have to rethink my wheel choice to achieve a decent caliper clearance.

Got the fronts done rather easier than I thought I would. Fitted new R32/Golf R splash guards aswell as mine had basically rusted away and didn't see the point of buying standard ones as I would need to upgrade again once I fit the alcon brake setup.

Whilst the drivers side leg was out it gave my chance to easily access the Forge DV fitted to the tiny K03 so I decided to remove and service it. After removing the seal/cap on the top of the valve I realised it was probably due a service as there was a large amount of gunk in the valve. The spring was also coated in crap so got that cleaned up aswell and put everything back together.

Decided to fit my chinese muffler delete and Fluidampr pulley aswell. Didn't really notice any difference in throttle response after fitting the muffler delete but I definitely noticed less engine vibration after fitting the fluidampr. I'l be running a SMF, 1.8t pump, and have upgraded engine mounts so this will be a much appreciated addition when that time comes.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:24:00 pm by tommygti »

Offline harveym3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 05:45:53 pm »
When you fit the breather tank are you going to cap the rear breather that gose into the old turbo setup ?

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 09:53:54 pm »
When you fit the breather tank are you going to cap the rear breather that gose into the old turbo setup ?

Sorry bud ive not updated the thread for a while so never replied. Ive got the I.E. rear pcv plate adapter so I can run an AN-10 line to by catch can setup.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »
So made some good progress recently. Picked the freshly built engine up from my engine builders. New gaskets, seals, bearings, etc...

Decided to go with the 1.8t oil pump assembly rather than deleting the balance shafts from the OE unit. I'm running the 1.8t oil filter housing aswell so there should be no oil pressure issues that some people have found when using the 1.8t pump.

I got the head pressure tested for good measure before putting the engine back together and its a good thing I did as it turned out that the timing chain had slipped and ended up bending the inlet valves. So unfortunately I had to cough up and get the head had to be stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt with new inlet valves. Whilst it was in pieces I upgraded to R8 valve springs aswell. Although its cost more than I wanted to spend I am really pleased with the outcome. The head looks brand new. Keeping it wrapped up and clean until I start the rebuild.

And a big piece of the project arrived. After some rather long delay's, complications, and communication issues the one-off prototype BBT K450 hybrid. Custom billet compressor wheel, larger clipped turbine wheel, upgraded thrust bearings, CNC'd housings, upgraded actuator, and a few other goodies. Lets see what power it will make.

I need to get a few parts sand blasted and prepped ready for paint, then we can begin the assembly. I'l try keep the thread updated more regularly now as I should be able to start making some progress.   

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 10:26:39 pm »
The alcon's are getting rebuilt with new rotors and pads so should help freshen the brakes up and to help cope with the power increase. Tax isn't really affected but no its not cheap anyway.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 10:45:04 pm »
Sorry for the slow updates but things have been rather slow due to a few unforeseen issues. Anyway here are some pics for you.

Made a rather large list so I can keep an eye on where I'm at.

Started to prep the block for painting by masking all the mounting surfaces that I wanted to keep clean.

All done.

The block was first degreased (has already been done twice already before been built), a coat of anti rust protection, then etch primer, and finally two coats of VHT hi temp cast iron grey. And the final result.

Got a few parts sand blasted to clean them up before painting.

Trimmed the alternator bracket as I'm not running aircon therefore don't need the pump. Got it painted along with the front main cranksaft seal.

Then And finally I test fitted the cylinder head and beautiful I.E. cam cover

The plan was to get 99% the engine back together over the Easter bank holiday weekend but annoyingly things ground to a holt. It turns out when the engine was built a few things were not installed due to miscommunication. So I'm currently waiting on the engine builders to correct the mistakes before I can start making anymore progress.

In the mean time I ordered some new cam cover bolts. It's not going to be a show car in the slightest but I like attention to detail so I'm trying to go with a colour theme under the bonnet which I will hopefully use elsewhere.

Old

New

Got the alternator dismantled so I can paint the casing along with a few other engine parts.

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 07:53:56 pm »
 :drool: :drool:wow now that's an engine build, will be brilliant to see it installed and up and running!! Top work mate!

Molesy  :happy2:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:17 pm »
Great work mate, nice to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to rebuild an engine for these "old" cars :D  :driver:
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 12:06:29 pm »
Wow! Really nice work! Love the detail of pictures too. :congrats:

Hope you can get it finished and running strong soon! :drinking: