Make a donation

Author Topic: monza II - how do you know if there genuine??  (Read 2473 times)

Offline k18dan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
monza II - how do you know if there genuine??
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:33:17 pm »
Found a set of 18" Monza 2's at a local wheel place.. how do I tell if there genuine VW?

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: monza II - how do you know if there genuine??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:49 pm »
There should be either a bbs or ronal stamp on them along with a VW Germany stamp, et51 etc I've not seen a set of reps which match the oe offset. There should if their bbs be a raised lip around the valve and the easiest way of showing if their reps or fake is that the lip should be a complete taper back from the inserts. Usually if their fake there will be an additional flat face along the outside of the insert basically showing two angles of cut for the lip. I'll put a pic up when I get in from work of what I mean but it's pretty easy to spot.

Also part numbers will help but I'm not sure what any of them are for both versions, this probably won't make sense but I can't get along with the touch screen on the iPhone.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:44 pm »
Also, reps have smaller bolt hole's so the VW bolt caps wont fit  :happy2:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline k18dan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:08:05 pm »
cheers guys - snapey if you could find a pic that would be awesomme  :drinking:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:00 pm »
Basically dude this is how a genuine set should look:

And this is how a refurbed or rep set would look, there could also be the chance that the lip is completly flat so imagine it without the taper and just the gastly cut.

Hope that helps.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline k18dan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:02:46 pm »
cheers Luke! just been down there and they are indeed reps... would any of you guys fit reps? or would you say they could be dangerous??

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »
I have reps on my car.  They do get a bad press IMO but like all things, there are good and bad out there.

I would ask about warranty on the wheels first off.  This will give you an idea of the confidence of the shop in the wheels, also ask about care / cleaning as some shops have different views.  warranty wise, 12 months is std on usuall alloys but those with polished faces do have less in some cases, 6 months is the usuall.  If they offer no warranty on the face of the wheel i would walk away, they would have had problems in the past!

Look at the laquer on the face of the wheel also.  a good rep will have a think layre and look nice and even, this rep will probably be from Italy and the price will reflect this.  If you can see lots of machine marks on the wheel (where the face was polished) that the layre of laquer is very thin and will be weaker to stone chips / bad weather etc.

I brought my reps because i knew where they came from and were confident they would last 12 months.  If your not 100% then go for a wheel that doesnt have a polished face  :happy2:

Hope all this helps, if you have any questions drop me a PM........... this is what i do as a job so i can point you in a 101 directions  :happy2:
APR cat back, ECS Insert