Make a donation

Author Topic: Quad Rear Lights / Skyline Mod using standard inner lens (NOT Valeo)  (Read 53946 times)

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html

Hi all,

I know there are a few threads regarding this mod using the Valeo units but I wanted to keep my standard dark clusters.  You guys totaly imspired me to try this and cant thank you all enough for your ideas and help.  I thought I would put something up on YouTube to try and help anyone who wants to do the same but is unsure where to start.  I am a car guy, not a video guy so all the footage is taken on my phone and edited in the phone too - please dont expect an amazing viewing experience but it may give you an idea of what to do.
This has been done many times before and I dont claim to have come up with the idea.  this is simply how I wanted to achieve the end result. Please dont try this is you are unsure of anything.  With this set up the inner lights only act as a sidelight, they will not get brighter when braking but thats what I wanted so happy with end result.  It needs no coding either but simply a loom to be made up.  I forgot to mention in the video that I replaced the rear brake lights (all of them) with LED versions from Boldsport so that the light output matches.

Part One -

Part Two -

Hope this helps someone out  :drinking:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:42:15 pm by MateyGuv »

Offline MizGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Quad Rear Lights using standard inner lens (NOT Valeo)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:56:18 am »
Great Vid mate. I may attempt this after watching your video. The lights are looking good.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:58:39 am »
Which led rings did you use? If you have a spare minute, a list of the items you used would and where from will be very useful for everyone!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:10:16 am »
The main parts I used were from good old eBay. Links working on Dec 2013 but if broken copy and paste the description and something similar will come up.

1) Red LED angel eye ring 90mm -  http://bit.ly/HByRhi

2) LED dimmer - http://bit.ly/19wphEH

3) General wire - Halfords I think

4) Connectors for loom - TPS, I THINK the part numbers are 1J0973702 & 1J0973802

5) Repair wire for connectors - TPS, you'll need to ask them as I don't have a record of the part number

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:54:15 am »
Awesome guide - thank you  :happy2:

The end result looks superb!

Would you consider making a 'kit' (for those of us with a lower skill level) as a group buy???  :happy2:

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:08:01 am »
Looks great mate! I seem to remember my mate putting his headlights off his yaris into the oven on a really low heat for a couple of minutes or so which softened the adhesive and let him pop the front lens off. Not sure if this would work with the rear lights at all or if anyone would consider trying it but I thought I'd mention it incase it was a viable option instead of prying the front casing off etc.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:21:00 am »
^^ im going to try this i think. Got 2 sets to play with

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:43 am »

Above video's a guy doing this to a 370z headlight. Not sure if this helps anyone :/

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:11 am »
I did try experimenting by putting one is the oven before taking apart but made no difference and I ended up mis shaping the lense. The adhesive used on the inner lights seems to be a superglue type glue so heat doesn't really effect it much

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:33:21 am »
I did try experimenting by putting one is the oven before taking apart but made no difference and I ended up mis shaping the lense. The adhesive used on the inner lights seems to be a superglue type glue so heat doesn't really effect it much

Maybe i wont!  :signLOL:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:24 am »
No idea why its quoted 3 times  :rolleye:

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:50:16 am »
Haha maybe dont try that method for these then! Guess it works if the adhesive is a rubber/silicone type but as you said superglue effectively melts the plastic a touch. Looks good mate, not sure I'd trust myself enough to give this a shot though haha.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »
Awesome guide - thank you  :happy2:

The end result looks superb!

Would you consider making a 'kit' (for those of us with a lower skill level) as a group buy???  :happy2:

It's a bit of a labour of love tbh I wouldn't like to do these for someone else just incase I brake something. Hardest parts are running cable to the boot and separating the lense. Id say from start to finish it took around 6 hours work

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:54 pm »
Why don't you get hold of a set of rear lights... cheap as chips on ebay, Complete the mod then sell them, Sounds like you could make a few notes bud  :wink:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:58:36 pm »
Thank you for saying people may be interested in buying from me  :drinking: I have thought about it but i wouldn't have thought the end price would be worth it. If I was to sell these, especially to enthusiasts, they would need to be spot on perfect and to be honest they ain't. In the vid I point out that there is still evidence that the lenses have been separated even after sealing them back. The darkened lens of the R32 and Ed 30 get away with it because I can buy black adhesive to try and recreate the factory "frame" around the unit. When I did my initial experiments I got hold of some none darkened units. When I sealed them back up I used clear adhesive and the frame did not look as good.
Normal lenses do come up from anywhere between 15 and 25 each (let's call it 20)
The LED ring is approx £17
The dimmer is approx £5
VW connectors for loom approx £12
Repair wires approx £5
Odds and sods £5
So before even starting to make it they would be approx £84. If darkened ones were needed they command a massive premium IF you can find them separate.
Without installation into the car I think it's about 3 hours work (most of that separating the lens) so whatever people think that's worth plus postage.  The risk of  shattering the lens is always there too.
Is anyone able to find out the manufacturer for these as if we could buy them direct before they glue them together then the finish would be perfect? All it says on the units is made in Poland AL. Iv done a brief search but no info around.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:47:22 pm by MateyGuv »