Make a donation

Author Topic: 2014 Dubai 24 hour race.  (Read 7684 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
2014 Dubai 24 hour race.
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
My first new thread for a while.

I was a part of the KPM Racing team who took part in this weekends Dubai 24 Hr race.  The entry vehicle was a Milltek backed/KPM Prepared MK6 Diesel Golf, with 5 drivers.  

Tom Onslow-Cole (BTCC)
Aaron Mason (current VW Cup champion)
Josh Caygill (VW Cup best rookie)
Javier Morcillo (Britcar Champ)
Paul White. (seasoned Endurance racer)

We had an absolute ball, and what an experinece.  I will try and  post some pics later.  Bit tired still to say the least.  it was quite emotional as well, especially when we knew despite all hurdles we had finished the race.

Taken from the Paddock Talk website.

KPM Racing has already reached a significant milestone in its short career by completing its first ever endurance race and achieving a second place podium finish with its purpose built Volkswagen Golf Mk 6 TDI in the D1 (diesel touring cars up to 2000cc) class at the esteemed 24 Hours of Dubai today.  

For its début endurance race at the Dubai Autodrome, Buckinghamshire based KPM enlisted the talents of BTCC driver Tom Onslow-Cole, APR Volkswagen Racing Cup Champion Aaron Mason, fellow VW Cup driver Josh Caygill, endurance racer Paul White and Britcar title-winner Javier Morcillo.

The team, run by team owner Kevin Poole, made an impressive start to the event with Aaron Mason setting the fastest time in class in free practice, over two seconds clear of its nearest rival, with a 2:23.256 minute lap. Tom Onslow-Cole then qualified in P2 for the Milltek Sport backed team to put it on the ‘front row’ of the D1 class grid for the race on Friday afternoon.

The race commenced at 14:00 local time with Javier Morcillo behind the wheel of the #127 KPM Racing charger. Three hours in to the endurance challenge the team took over as class leaders with Aaron, Paul, Tom and Josh maintaining position in to the night on the 5.39km circuit. After receiving a ‘Code 60’ time penalty just before the halfway mark, the team was in P2 when Aaron re-took the class lead entering the 13th hour. After storming stints by Josh and Javier, Aaron had contact by a faster car and had to bring #127 back to the pits. After a quick repair and driver change back to Tom, an upright failed due to the earlier damage so the team decided to completely rebuild the front end despite what this would mean to its position in the race.

The squad rejoined the competition with Josh in P4 and in a magnificent combined effort, the rookie team was back up to P2 with an hour left of the enduro event. The racing gods were to throw one more hurdle at the fledgling British team when the car’s gearbox failed on the homeward stint, however after a complete replacement within only 25 minutes, Paul took to the track to bring #127 home and secure the second place trophy in the D1 class at the chequered flag.

Kevin Poole, KPM Racing, team owner:
“We only shook the car down the weekend before it was packed in to the container to come over to Dubai for the race. We were running issue free in the opening hours on Friday until Aaron had contact from a faster car and we had to pit with quite some damage. Unfortunately, we didn’t know the extent until we sent the car back out with Tom and it was completely un-driveable, so we decided to cut our losses and replace the entire front end. This would obviously cost us time, but would hopefully give us a good run mechanically until the end. The gearbox then failed with one hour to go and the team did an extraordinary job to change it in just 25 minutes. Our aim was then to preserve our second place to the end of the race, knowing that the win was out of our grasp. I would like to thank all the guys in the team, Milltek Sport, everyone who has supported us for our first 24 hour endurance event and our drivers. It has been exhausting but fantastic, and a very encouraging start to KPM Racing’s 2014 season.”

Tom Onslow-Cole:
“To finish our first 24 hours race is amazing. I have had the best time here with an awesome team. This event is so different to what I normally race in and I have been impressed with the camaraderie within the team and paddock. It is such a different feeling and emotional experience and to come second in class in our first race is amazing. Thank you to everyone at KPM Racing and Milltek Sport.”

Josh Caygill:
“It feels fantastic to be a part of this event and team. Everyone mucked in and helped produce a podium finish in our first 24 hours race. The car was great to drive; it is a shame we had the gearbox problem at the end of the race, but we made up positions, showed our stamina and are really happy with second place trophy in class.”

Aaron Mason:
“It has been an absolutely brilliant experience driving in Dubai. Well done to everyone in the team and all the drivers. It was truly an entire team effort and one I’ll never forget.”

Javier Morcillo:
“I am extremely happy right now! This is the best team I have worked with in a long time and if we hadn’t have had the gearbox issue we would have won our class for sure. We are of course very happy with second place in the team’s first 24 hours race and the team should be very proud today.”

Paul White:
“I am over the moon for Kevin and the team. All the drivers did a sterling job and the guys are a pleasure to work with. We had a dramatic last hour with the gearbox change, but I then had the privilege of driving our car for the emotional last stint. Taking us over the finish line for a class podium at the end of our first 24 hour race underlines the fantastic efforts made by the team and drivers. It has been a brilliant week, thank you everyone.”

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:59:01 pm by QD MBE »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
Re: 2014 Dubai 24 hour race.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »
ps our very own Dave B supploied the brakes for the car................... :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
Well done Dave and rest of the KPM team.  :notworthy: :notworthy:  :happy2:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:26:17 pm »
My bosses PA was out there with some of her relatives and said it was an amazing experience

Would I be right in thinking from what she said it went down to the wire almost?!

Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »
Well done chaps.  :drinking:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
Well done was keep on an on Facebook at the progress  :congrats:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:12 pm »
Fantastic result and loved following it from our stand at Autosport and the coverage on Motors!

Glad you enjoyed in UKH!  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:55 pm »
Well done guys. Sounds amazing  :drool: :congrats: :notworthy:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
Thanks all.  Despite my determination to post a few pics, my tiredness conspired against me.  Will get round to it tonight.

Still buzzing from the experience!

:driver:

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »
Good stuff, sounds amazing. Looking forward to pics :wink:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:29 am »
QD glad you're back on here again....

Brakes were indeed ours, I'm spending more and more time getting more involved in the Motorsport side of things now and its huge fun and even better when they work well...

For those interested the kit was our replacement VW Racing Craparo fully AP fully floating disc assembly kit which replaces the bolted unbranded rotors which come as part of the VWR kit, AP 6 pots and Project Mu pads. the rotor was the same 362mm item we use on the TTRS replacement kits, I know some of you are running these on Mk5s and Mk6s with TTRS calipers just in case you feel like doing a 24 hour race with your daily....there's a stealth Mk6 R on here running it courtesy of Mr Statller

At this level we spent ages on bell and bracket design as Kev (The "K" in KPM) insisted on huge reliability and low weight, the resulting bracket was clever on many fronts with practically zero straight edges so that we could deal with the loads of a 24 hour race without having to beef it up massively. Think the bracket came in at 450 grammes and the bells at 800.

We've got a few runners and riders with it in the VWR cup too.

Just want to acknowledge what a great job all  the boys at KPM did on this race, the planning and organising that went into it was immense, having a bolt or screw missing when you're 4000 miles away just won't do. And don't expect the guys in the next garage to come to your rescue at this level. So full marks Kev and the boys, think you've just catapulted yourselves into the big league of global Motorsport and with a 2nd in class - awesome....

Also never seen so much care taken over a master cylinder and BBK install as that taken at KPM for one of my customers with an A3, you need attention to detail to finish these races and they apply it to their road customers equally

:worthless:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »
 :worthless:

Well here goes, nothing much from during race, as I had other aspects to focus on................

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »
Milltek pictures

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »
Another pic from an email I received.  I think this was taken by the official phot chap.