Make a donation

Author Topic: Black honey combed grill?  (Read 16509 times)

Offline cobz

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • 07 GTI DSG - Stage 1
    • Email
Re: Black honey combed grill?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:01:37 am »
That does look like a massive difference! The damn grill is so time consuming to clean though...

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 10:51:58 am »
yes it is time consuming but like all things involving detailing your car, you only get out what you put in effort-wise  :happy2:

that's why i have to bow down to the pros, 4 hours for me and i'm bored. Think my record is 7 or 8 hours and i was spent and still had a finish no where near what a pro could achieve in that time but to amateurs like you and me and to the lazy sods who live where i live and never touch their cars it looked like a magnificent pearl!  :party:

Offline cobz

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • 07 GTI DSG - Stage 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:24 am »
I just can't justify it... would rather pay somebody to spend that time! I only really get one day off a week and, although I enjoy cleaning my car, I cant spent any more than an hour on it!

Oh and the missus comes looking for me after an hour... apparantly my days off are better spent on DIY in the house  :sick:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:55 pm »
sorry fella, i've been calling it by the wrong name, as you get older names are meaningless, the ones that count are the ones that you give to things/people  :signLOL:

Seriously, I bought it a good couple of years ago so the name has obviously escaped me. It's actually Poorboy's Natural Look. It is an APC in as much that it lists that it can be used on vinyl, leather, tyre dressing, etc but it is known for restoring OEM look to plastic trims - other dudes use it achieving similar results so it is definitely proven for use in this task.

No worries  :happy2: I was just thinking this guy will be disappointed when he goes to work tomorrow and finds all his work has gone back to gray and faded if he's only used a apc.

I found using 303 that it was a breeze to do the grills on the front and had them done in no time, from what I know the poorboys dressing isn't a spray type but 303 is so it will be quicker and easier using a spray type on the grills I'd say and it'll say you time.

When I snow my car I use one of my little brushes and give the grills a quick clean as the snow foam dwells then after I've washed car etc I spray the 303 onto the grill and use a brush again to get it into the honey combed grill, leave it for a hour and then finally wipe up any excess. No ball ache what so ever, pretty quick and easy  :happy2:

Offline matt_the_mussel

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • TV; Teacher, Mother, Secret lover.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:09 pm »
Just used some C4 on the grill, it was pretty faded. Looks much better now....still not black tho....

I think next time I'll paint it....

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 07:28:13 pm »
i love c4 :jumpmove:
candy white edition 30

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 11:38:40 am »
Just bumping this up to see how the various products held up? How long did the finishes last before needing redone?

My grill is badly faded and I'd prefer to buy a new grill than have to reapply something every couple of months.

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »
ever think of hydro dipping?

not sure how it stands up to stone chips like
candy white edition 30

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 01:23:42 pm »
I gave my old one a spray with satin black spray paint, only take a couple of seconds to take off and a few hours to dry, by far the best results i can imagine, did the fog light surrounds as well to the same results

Its just a way of life.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »
Was it not a pain in the ass to prep? Or did you just clean then spray? No sanding?

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:16 pm »
Was it not a pain in the ass to prep? Or did you just clean then spray? No sanding?

Just took the badges off masked up the large panel gave it a good clean with the rough edge of a sponge,  nothing to serious and loads of light coats to add the colour, the paint stuck perfect and left the same finish as plastic, ill be doing the same to my new grill when the weather gets a bit better

Its just a way of life.

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02:59 am »
My current state at the moment. If your wondering, a rabbit took my gti badge off and picking up a new one tomorrow. I want to get my grills done first tho.

So we're leaning to 303 over C4?

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:56 am »

Just took the badges off masked up the large panel gave it a good clean with the rough edge of a sponge,  nothing to serious and loads of light coats to add the colour, the paint stuck perfect and left the same finish as plastic, ill be doing the same to my new grill when the weather gets a bit better

Good job. How long ago did you do it and hows it holding up?

MPS

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »
My current state at the moment. If your wondering, a rabbit took my gti badge off and picking up a new one tomorrow. I want to get my grills done first tho.

So we're leaning to 303 over C4?

This is great stuff,

I tried C4 and it didn't really do alot tbh, it didn't restore it to the factory colour, unlike the autotek. C4 is a good product for sure, just not the right one for this job.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:11:13 pm by MPS »

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 05:49:18 pm »

Good job. How long ago did you do it and hows it holding up?

I did it a few weeks after buying my old gti it lasted over a year with me and its been sold now so i couldnt tell ya, even if its once every year or so it beats monthly

Its just a way of life.