Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change Fuel Pump Cam Follower on 2.0 TFSi  (Read 116224 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: How to change Fuel Pump Cam Follower on 2.0 TFSi
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:14 am »
It's primarily increased load from aftermarket fuel pumps that accelerate follower wear, so not everyone needs to unduly concern themselves with this.

Other secondary causes include, crap oil and extended drain intervals, increased rev limiter from remaps, increased pump load from remaps etc etc.

For people wanting to keep their cars indefinitely, there is the AKS TSI roller conversion, which is a permanent solution.  VW themselves saw this as a flawed design and upgraded it.  The conversion uses genuine parts, it's not a hack job.  Otherwise regular changes of the follower is what most folk do.  A lot cheaper, but more risk of damaging stuff because the pump and follower were not designed to be removed frequently.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2017, 04:30:42 pm »
It's primarily increased load from aftermarket fuel pumps that accelerate follower wear, so not everyone needs to unduly concern themselves with this.

10 days ago when I had my VIS pump internals fitted, the mechanic reported that the spring retaining collar had some hairline cracks. This is on a 24k mile car which had no issues reported when the cam follower was replaced last year. Apparantly this is a common fault according to the local VW dealer. Anyhow, in the last few days whilst I was waiting for the new pump to arrive those hairline cracks have grown visibly in just 200 miles and the rear seal was also damaged. Whilst I feel relieved that the pump has now been replaced with a new one, there won't be any complacency on my part in having this checked regularly. Perhaps there was a manufacturing weakness which has since been resolved but why take the chance.

Offline BlackCloud

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 05:16:49 am »
I've just had mine changed for presumably the first time in the cars life, (although it could have been done before I owned it, theres nothing in the service book or reciepts)
Cars done 80k, The garage gave me the old one. (Had it done in addition to a service) Looks completely fine, If I'd checked it before booking it I wouldn't have bothered.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »
My original follower also looked fine when replaced last year, albeit at a lower mileage, however a close inspection of the pump did not appear to have been undertaken by that mechanic.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »
My original follower also looked fine when replaced last year, albeit at a lower mileage, however a close inspection of the pump did not appear to have been undertaken by that mechanic.

Got a pic of the part in question?   I can't say I've ever checked my pump when it's come out for follower replacements.  It's a Loba though, so not sure if they change that bit or not.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »
Sorry Pudding but it has already been disposed of. If you look at the photo in the link below, then it is the retaining collar on the end of the spring which had a crack in it and was starting to deform.

https://www.vrsnorthampton.com/1974-large_default/loba-motorsport-20-tfsi-upgrade-high-pressure-fuel-pump.jpg

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2017, 04:28:36 pm »
Ah right, I know the bit you mean now.  And it was all original up to that point?  That's pretty poor!  Good job it was spotted in time!

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2017, 04:41:08 pm »
Yep all original up-to that point save for Revo stage 1 map with stock hardware.  24k mile one owner car with annual oil change, mostly using Millers NT. 2007 BWA chassis. Is a piss poor situation and I was indeed very lucky that it was spotted before a cluster fk arose.

Is worth mentioning that the car sounds mechanically quieter now it has been replaced, though I suspect the ecu needs to re-adapt as the power delivery feels 'tighter'.

Offline MartinLarge

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:04 am »
Brilliant guide, helped me alot thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blunty

« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2017, 09:37:43 am »
Changed my cam follower myself for the first time yesterday. 88k and no record of it being changed before so it was very high on my to-do list!
This guide and thread helped me get it done DIY without any issues.
It was badly worn so I'm glad I did. I would post pics, but I'm new here and haven't worked out how to yet!

Offline oliyaz0510

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2017, 11:11:52 am »
I did mine yesterday (with banjo bolt) and a little help from a mate. No signs of it ever having been done but it didnt look too bad.

Relatively straight forward to do though even with the banjo bolt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2017, 07:50:07 pm »
Great guide, used it for the second time this evening!

Does anyone know if the dust cap for the fuel valve can be bought separately? As my disintegrated when I tried to take it off tonight
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:42 pm »
Great guide, used it for the second time this evening!

Does anyone know if the dust cap for the fuel valve can be bought separately? As my disintegrated when I tried to take it off tonight
Have you tried one off your own vehicle wheels?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:39 pm »
Different size @doylebros

You need: 06F133335A about 80p from the dealers

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You