Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf Mk5 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue  (Read 16767 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Golf Mk5 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:02:12 am »
Had a very nice forum members Mk5 R32 for an "on site" detail over 2 days based on the below deal.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,80983.0.html

Don't normally work at peoples houses... but i made a special exception in this case for a genuinely nice bloke and proper car chap.

Not any dramatic 50/50s because it was done at the forum members house so very difficult to get true before and after shots and as this was not done at DMC HQ, so couldn't have the nice equipment.

Started with the usual wash routine.

Car given a quick once over... good state to be fair. Obviously tried to be kept on top of but paint was pretty flat and lacked sparkle.. had some severe scratching down one side as well which looked like it had been drifted into a prickle bush.

IMG_6071 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Did the wheels first... a bit of a mix of Chemical Guys Diablo with some of the DMC shampoo for extra foaming action..a variety of EZ Detail Brushes and Valet Pro brushes were used..

IMG_6072 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

After being washed and rinsed, the wheels were sprayed with Iron X

IMG_6074 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Looking much better after a proper clean.

IMG_6076 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Car given a wash with the usual 2BM and Lambswool wash mitt.

IMG_6075 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Once the car was washed and tried it was "taken inside" (squeezed magically into a car port way too small to park a car like that) and taped up.

IMG_6078 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Working in pretty poor lighting conditions with no freestanding halogens was fun, I worked using the sungun instead... only before and after shot (pre refining but after IPA wipedown).

IMG_6085 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

and after

IMG_6087 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Rest of the car was in a similar state.. the bonnet was very flat following some respray work, wet sanding should hopefully revive it but not on scope for this detail unfortunately.. another time  :smiley:

I split the car down the middle front to back and worked down each side... After correcting the tape was removed and refinement began as I went.

You know what they say about working tidy!!  :chicken: :confused:

IMG_6092 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

After moving the car around carefully (due to the lighting) - despite owning a Mk5 myself for 4 years now I still find myself struggling with just how wide the front wings are - correction and refinement of the other side, boot and bumpers was completed and the car was given another IPA wipedown and had as much of the polishing dust removed as possible. As no pet drier due to the mobile location I didn't want to risk marring it by washing it again... I chose lower dusting polishes fortunately so there wasn't too much.

IMG_6097 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Wax went on to cure... cured a bit weird in the odd conditions which meant it was a bit of a pain to buff off but we got there!  :jumpmove:  :congrats:

IMG_6099 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Tyres dressed with durable, non fling gel tyre dressing (use it on my own car, only the best  :P)

IMG_6110 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

After the wax was removed it was given a wipedown with a QD spray to remove any static charge left and any leftover smears from the wax.

As this was an on-site detail due to noise restrictions, as well as a lack of proper running water on the first day, I had to leave the rest of the car (interior and engine) till the following day.

Got some pictures of her in the glorious sunshine though...

IMG_6133 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

My days were made more fun with Penny the overly playful dog who kept bring her squeaky pig for a game of fetch...all day..both days...  :signLOL:

IMG_6134 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

The engine bay was given a once over with some degreaser and a variety of brushes, plastics were dressed with some gel-based trim dressing.

IMG_6127-3 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Interior was given a deep clean as well, with all the carpets getting a thorough clean with shampoo, scrubbed and hoovered, as well as the leather being cleaned and conditioned, as well as the dashboard, plastics, etc. Glass all cleaned inside and out, as well as waxed on the outside to hopefully improve visibility in the wet.

IMG_6129-4 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Leaving some finished pictures.

IMG_6135-5 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

IMG_6138-6 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

IMG_6124-2 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

IMG_6122-1 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

After washing my own car on site which was very kind to be allowed to do (which was now filthy from the 200 mile round trip over the two days) hopefully showing some hints and tricks as to washing the car while causing the least amount of possible marring, general chit chat occured and several hours went by before I said my goodbyes and left with one seriously shiney and lovely R32 and one owner beaming away.

Was a pleasure to work on this car over the two days and meet a great fellow minded enthusiast.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:33:57 am by xjay1337 »

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
Re: Golf Mk5 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:08:44 am »
Nice one Jay. What tyre shine did you use?
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:16:26 am »
Cheers man!

And megs endurance  :signLOL:  :signLOL:

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:59:28 am »
Nice work jay, but unsure you leaving polishing pads on the dirty floor before putting them on a car  :surprised:

Nice photos  :smiley:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:25:25 am by xjay1337 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:26:17 am »
Ahh I typed my reply in your comment.
So it says that I edited it when I haven't actually changed anything  (just so you know  :happy2:)

Don't polish with that side of the pad Steve, thought someone of your caliber would know that   :wink:

Pads are always left backing plate side facing down as nothing that goes in contact with the floor would ever touch the paint.

Cheers   :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:35:13 am by xjay1337 »

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »
So it says that I edited it when I haven't actually changed anything  (just so you know  :happy2:)

Don't polish with that side of the pad Steve, thought someone of your caliber would know that   :wink:

Pads are always left backing plate side facing down as nothing that goes in contact with the floor would ever touch the paint.

I know that, but grit on the pad soon comes off when you start up the machine and lands on the paintwork and you could hit it with the machine accidentally ...even You should realise that :surprised:

Better your judgment but me personally would be more careful when doing someone's car.

Offline Tabs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • They see me rolling....
    • uk-mkivs.net - the UK's bes resource for the Golf, bora and Jetta
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »
Very nice good work - DBP has always been one of my favourite paints to see polished. The pearl effect gives such depth  :happy2:

Offline nickg123

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:07 pm »

I know that, but grit on the pad soon comes off when you start up the machine and lands on the paintwork and you could hit it with the machine accidentally ...even You should realise that :surprised:

Better your judgment but me personally would be more careful when doing someone's car.

I'm sure Jay isn't a complete idiot and does actually look at the pads before making any sort of contact with the paint and makes sure the surface he's polishing is equally clean - if you're talking about tiny amounts of grit - they could land / end up on a Pad just as easily if it was 4 ft off the ground on a table...

It's just about being sensible and knowing what you're doing which I think we know Jay does by now  :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:06 pm »

I'm sure Jay isn't a complete idiot and does actually look at the pads before making any sort of contact with the paint and makes sure the surface he's polishing is equally clean - if you're talking about tiny amounts of grit - they could land / end up on a Pad just as easily if it was 4 ft off the ground on a table...

It's just about being sensible and knowing what you're doing which I think we know Jay does by now  :happy2:

Im sure he does realise , but if it was my car and I was watching, I wouldn't be too happy using the pad, especially the one on the machine.

Just saying  :popcornsoda:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:02:10 pm »

Im sure he does realise , but if it was my car and I was watching, I wouldn't be too happy using the pad, especially the one on the machine.

Just saying  :popcornsoda:

Hi Steve,
Good thing it wasn't your car then, eh? Then again, with all that Zaino I suppose it doesn't need paintwork correction  :P

I like constructive criticism but I do not see the point of your comments, other than trying to make me look like I am not careful with the cars I work on?

Just saying.  :popcornsoda:

Redemption

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:30:10 pm »
The now rather shiny R32 in the pics above is mine. :grin:

I think the photos speak for themselves. The end result is stunning (even more so considering that Jay was working in less than ideal conditions). It also didn't help that the water mysteriously stopping working as he was washing the car.  :confused: The previous owner had obviously only ever taken the car through automatic car washes or had it done by a hand wash station. There were loads of swirl marks on virtually every panel that are now no longer visible and Jay also managed to remove/mask nearly all the scratches that were down the drivers side after it appeared to have been driven sideways into a bush.  :surprised:

Jay clearly loves his work and that shows in the end result. I spent time chatting to him whilst he was working and he was more than happy to show me how he goes about the whole paint correction process. At no time was there any danger of dirt or grit ending up on my cars paintwork as Jay was meticulous in that department. I'm more than happy with what Jay has achieved as the car now looks how it should do. Shame the weather has been a bit crap since but at least the rain beads straight off the car now!

It was also a pleasure to meet a fellow forum member and enthusiast whose own car looks the dogs danglies, has bucket seats to die for along with some funky purple wheels!  :laugh:

I highly recommend anyone interested in having their car detailed to drop him a PM. Top job done by a top bloke.  :happy2:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:49:28 pm by Redemption »

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »
looks really well, i like the way you work, and the products you use, as for the commitment to travel that far to do it is second to none, really good to hear and see.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 07:32:07 pm »
excellent work Jay :happy2:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »
Cracking pics and work,you can almost hear the burble of the R

Saintsteve

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:03 am »

Just saying  :popcornsoda:

Hi Steve,
Good thing it wasn't your car then, eh? Then again, with all that Zaino I suppose it doesn't need paintwork correction  :P

I like constructive criticism but I do not see the point of your comments, other than trying to make me look like I am not careful with the cars I work on?

Just saying.  :popcornsoda:

My comments were constructive chap, just depends on how you take them  :P

Perhaps if you ask John hole when was the last time I ordered Zaino products, you might be surprised to hear I've only ordered once from Zaino so that's an Up yours right back at ya  :signLOL: