Make a donation

Author Topic: Loud clicking noise from engine  (Read 21264 times)

Offline ginge 0116

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • The kings cross hotel blackpool
    • Email
Re: Loud clicking noise from engine
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »
Hey guys I've had this problem on my car and had it fixed. I had the chain and tensioner done first time round and still had the same noise then had the adjuster done and was all fixed it cost me a total of £730 for the work but I had to pay labour twice lol. As with regards to the cam adjuster to look at it you won't be able to tel if it's broke, its regulated by oil pressure and it's the mechanism inside that's at fault. I'm so glad I've got this fixed now, I told another chap that lives up the road from me who had the same issue and he said he wasn't prepared to pay the money to get a rattle fixed. More fool him as within 3 months the chain had snapped and is still sourcing a replacement engine as it took the engine out in the process!!! Not saying that this will happen to every car but I think this issue justifies the money spent on it to fix. Hope this helps. I know a really good garage in ruby who has done a few of these now if any one is near to them I'd be happy to give you there details. Sam

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3dkvh8cggu6cnoug5fsht2sa44&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:49 pm »
@Yorkie92 @Carl123 Any of you guys had the chain and tensioner changed yet?

Received these bits over the last few days just Physicing my self up to get it done.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »
Nah I haven't managed to get round to doing this yet!! Keep me updated when u get this done hopefully will solve ur problem!!

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3dkvh8cggu6cnoug5fsht2sa44&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »
If the noise is a problem. A lot of people seem to think this noise in normal.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »
my 05 gti dsg is going tomorrow under warranty to change the chain and adjuster + tens. :)

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:45 pm »
my 05 gti dsg is going tomorrow under warranty to change the chain and adjuster + tens. :)
Do you know why they are changing the adjuster? And how to know if it needs to be changed?

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »
Do you know why they are changing the adjuster? And how to know if it needs to be changed?
when i bought the car from vw shop i didn't told them about the cam chian sound ( i know about it when i bought it )
and had the car to VW for normal service as oil change and filter changes and then i told them to listen to the sound as it sounds like a diesel, they told me the cam chain and tens need to be replaced and wrote it on the service list and i showed it to the car shop that sold the car. I waited 1h and they called me back and told me the car was booked for cam chain replacment on the 24.9 :)

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:48 pm »
when i bought the car from vw shop i didn't told them about the cam chian sound ( i know about it when i bought it )
and had the car to VW for normal service as oil change and filter changes and then i told them to listen to the sound as it sounds like a diesel, they told me the cam chain and tens need to be replaced and wrote it on the service list and i showed it to the car shop that sold the car. I waited 1h and they called me back and told me the car was booked for cam chain replacment on the 24.9 :)
OK but when did they decide to also do the cam adjuster??

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
OK but when did they decide to also do the cam adjuster??
If the tens, and chain cure the sound out.

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 05:09:47 pm »
@Yorkie92 @Carl123 Any of you guys had the chain and tensioner changed yet?
Have you managed to get yours done yet?? @dazza

Received these bits over the last few days just Physicing my self up to get it done.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 05:25:05 pm »
@Carl123 you can follow along here.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89158.0.html

If i hadn't snapped the bold holding the adjuster it would have been done by now.
How to make an easy job not so easy. Its probably better for me as i find things to do would have to many mods and no money if things where quick and easy.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »
@Carl123 you can follow along here.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89158.0.html

If i hadn't snapped the bold holding the adjuster it would have been done by now.
How to make an easy job not so easy. Its probably better for me as i find things to do would have to many mods and no money if things where quick and easy.

Ahh just had a read through I hope mine ain't the adjuster I'll be balls deep in spending money!! Well I've booked it in on the 28th so hope all goes well for me!!

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:58 pm »
To be honest can see anything wrong with the chain, tensioner or adjustor. So will just change them all and hope for the best. I hope the chain and tensioner will sort your problem.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:01 am »
To be honest can see anything wrong with the chain, tensioner or adjustor. So will just change them all and hope for the best. I hope the chain and tensioner will sort your problem.
it sorted my diesel sound :)

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 02:00:39 pm »
it sorted my diesel sound :)

What did you replace @k9