Make a donation

Author Topic: Faz's Black GTI SOLD - Now a Shadow Blue GTI! Stage 1 complete  (Read 14356 times)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Faz's Black Beauty SOLD - Now a Shadow Blue babe! Post 9 onwards...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 09:25:52 pm »
@fazi123 you got the MDI fitted in the end? Did you DIY?

Good job on your gear gaiter I need to do that to mine. Was it hard to do?

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:06 am »
@shoaybmakda I ended up getting it fitted  :ashamed: - the chap had to take apart the Armrest and all sorts to get the wire up for the dock.

The gaiter was VERY easy to do. You just have to be very careful when you separate the actual leather gaiter from the plastic/aluminium trim as the plastic trim (holding the leather gaiter to the surround) could snap. It took no longer then 30 mins though to be honest. If you can fit the MDI yourself - you'll have no issues ;)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 11:41:48 am »
@fazi123 ah I didn't know the leather could be detached - I thought it was all one thing. So I'm guessing it's detach the leather, gaitor gets separated and then you can wrap etc?

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »
@fazi123 ah I didn't know the leather could be detached - I thought it was all one thing. So I'm guessing it's detach the leather, gaitor gets separated and then you can wrap etc?

@shoaybmakda almost... once you've detached the leather you them disconnect the connector which powers the lighting on the gear selector. Then you can take the surround out of the car. Then before wrapping it you should separate the aluminium trim from the plastic surround. Then a quick clean and your ready for the wrap! :)

Give me a shout if you need any more details. It's really easy!

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:54 pm »
So I've been having difficulties with a wet passenger footwell. Not sure how longs its been an issue but I've only noticed it recently.

I've booked it in to a garage on Saturday to get it looked at - should hopefully have some positive new then :)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 10:44:00 am »
@fazi123 I've seen this on mine on be passenger footwell and have seen the water trickling down from near the front of the door panel close to the glove box. Was doing some reading and someone mentioned might be the sunroof and noticed you have one too so might be a similar issue.

Let me know how you get on  :happy2:

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 02:17:04 pm »
So a bit of a update on my car then!

The wet pasenger foot well issue has finally been resolved! It turns out the drain from the sunroof had been dislodged so it was leaking into the footwell.

What else has gone on in the mean time -
I've also had my pre-cat removed by the guys over at @AKS - was a bit of a pain as one of the studs had snapped!
While I was there I also asked them to check my PCV and DV valves - both of which were pretty damn old so I got them changed too.
Oh I picked up some Millers Nanodrive and a filter too!

I also purchased an ITG Maxogen filter which I've actually just sold as its way too loud for my liking!

I've been over to R-tech and let @rtechniki  work his magic and WOW - to say I'm impressed is a major understatement.

Things planned :
345mm brake upgrade : Purchased
Braided brake hoses : Awaiting delivery
Another intake...I'm aware they will all make noise but having had what is widely recognised as one of the loudest (ITG) hopefully the next will be quieter...  :smiley:
Some sort of suspension overhaul - My passenger shock is leaking like a mofo
Upgrade / renew the bushes - Not sure whether to go OEM or polybush as its my daily drive for now...
Some better tires as the current ditchfinders are crap! - but these can wait as they were replaced just before I got the car

I was also planning on getting highline clocks installed but cos of my older style MFSW I cant navigate through it. Many attempts were made with @RetroRaz and he's multiple clocks but it was in vain as I just couldn't get them to work off of my stalk!

Updated pics of the car / dyno graph / results to follow when I get home! - on the train as....

Unfortunately my GTI is in the garage again! @rtechniki had mentioned the timing chain was rattling quiet badly and I had noticed it was sounding louder then a petrol should so I decided I'd get that changed before I suffered the same fate as @Peskyjones and he's car. I'm hoping I will have it back tomorrow / Early Friday and get back to enjoying it again  :smiley:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:35:23 pm by fazi123 »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Faz's Black GTI SOLD - Now a Shadow Blue GTI! Post 9 onwards...
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 02:47:16 pm »
Definitely mate, good decision, pleased your so happy with your car

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
Definitely mate, good decision, pleased your so happy with your car

I'm not so happy with it just now - Trust me! - but I figured I'm going to keep this car forever as I've invested more money into it then anybody else would be wiling to pay for it so I may as well spend a little more and get it running sweet.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 06:33:57 pm »
What's the chain fix setting you back @fazi123 ? Looks like me and you have very similar issues with our cars as I've just noticed the Leak on my drivers side now!!  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:36:53 pm by shoaybmakda »

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 01:04:45 pm »
What's the chain fix setting you back @fazi123 ? Looks like me and you have very similar issues with our cars as I've just noticed the Leak on my drivers side now!!  :signLOL:

I'm not sure yet to be honest - I'll find out when I get given the invoice on collection! :ashamed:

Get that leak sorted - remove the a-pillar trim and check the drainage pipe is still all connected! 

I guess both our AXX cars were manufactured around the same time haha!

In all honesty though I'm not surprised / shocked at the maintenance needed especially at my mileage!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »

I'm not sure yet to be honest - I'll find out when I get given the invoice on collection! :ashamed:

Get that leak sorted - remove the a-pillar trim and check the drainage pipe is still all connected! 

I guess both our AXX cars were manufactured around the same time haha!

In all honesty though I'm not surprised / shocked at the maintenance needed especially at my mileage!

Happened to mine too. I wrote a how to somewhere on here.
Used the end off a Tec-7 tube to funnel the water from the sunroof

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 11:47:21 am »
@lukemk5gti if you could find the how to it would be greatly appreciated seeing as we are getting this onslaught of rain currently!

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »
So heres my results from when I went over to R-Tech!

Not bad for a 10 year old golf eh?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:37:53 pm by fazi123 »

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 08:29:21 pm »
So I've just got back from my trusted mechanic! I've had the Timing chain & Tensioner replaced as previously mentioned on this thread.
Apparently it was well on its way out and I was lucky to have it changed when I did.

He also had to replace the Timing Chain cover with the Sprocket as it was knackered! So thats the shiny new bit (Behind the hpfp) in my engine bay at the moment (Pictured below)

Those of you who have a rough / diesel sounding idle when warm I'd advise you get yours checked / changed as well. It's made my car sound how a petrol engine should sound! I completely forgot how it sounds like as its gradually been creeping in. It feels like a new car! 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:20:01 pm by fazi123 »