Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti  (Read 106636 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »
Is your wheel compatible?

I also have the same Polo airbag part number.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »
I'm happy with the wheel and airbag in a mk5 golf,  Willing to take the risk if the bag is a little smaller.

The 1k8 buttons work but don't light

The 6c0 version C and D buttons are identical in size to the 1k8 buttons and are compatible with the ch control module and light, just have more buttons as it has cruise on the 6C0 buttons

I'm going to hold off paying for another set of switches as I'm going to try to get them to light another way,  just waiting for a cheap plug to come then I'll write up how to do it
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:31:41 pm by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:55 pm »
Think I'll go with the Polo buttons. I want the red illumination to match all the other switch gear.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2015, 09:17:17 am »
Today I tried by inputting various voltages 5 to 12 into the DSG paddle connection on the correct pin for illumination and as well as the negative pin to see if I could back feed power into the switches to light up.

Sadly this did not work so to reiterate there is no chance that the 1k8 buttons work with the ch control module

If you want them to light up you will need 6C0 959 442 no letter unless you want pointless cruise buttons on the wheel.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 02:10:16 pm »
EDIT UPDATE, sadly today i got some switches i mentioned earlier and they don't fit, currently trying to rectify the situation so please don't buy anything until i give the correct numbers etc

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

Matt (Bignod00) Wanted to say;  :P

Got home from the gym today to find a TNT driver at my house. :innocent:

Not the best photos but I was excited! :laugh:

It'll be a nice addition to the motor, especially for trackdays! :party:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:49:07 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2015, 07:49:27 pm »
EDIT UPDATE, sadly today i got some switches i mentioned earlier and they don't fit, currently trying to rectify the situation so please don't buy anything until i give the correct numbers etc

Balls. Let us know how you get on.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2015, 09:47:01 pm »

Matt (Bignod00) Wanted to say;  :P

Got home from the gym today to find a TNT driver at my house. :innocent:

Not the best photos but I was excited! :laugh:

It'll be a nice addition to the motor, especially for trackdays! :party:

Very nice Mike

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »
so this is button illumination working on the Polo Scirocco 1K8 wheel with 1K8 switches (no cruise)

over the last 48 ish hours i ordered a set of buttons for my wheel which i thought would fit, but as i didn't fully check the PR numbers in ETKA i ended up with a smaller set of buttons for my wheel, not good. returned them to TPS and as i was ordering yet another set that were now more expensive they exchanged them.

last night i was at work and had 12 hours to kill and my original set of buttons with me, i started tracing out the illumination circuit on the switches and decided just to give it a go of powering it up directly with 12v.

I won't go on anymore other to say that i tried feeding the 12v to the illumination pin of the DSG paddle but bizarrely only lit up one set of switches even though i tried both sides of DSG paddle.

I found a point i could solder a wire too i tried this with 12v on it and all buttons came on.

so now i'm stuck with a set of switches on back order from TPS at a cost of 218 quid just to see if i could illuminate them.

thankfully TPS refunded (which i didn't think they did) the lot so today i'm happy.

The Issue for me is i DON'T WANT 5 or 7 extra buttons (adaptive/standard cruise control)  on my wheel just to get them to work with the CH module using the LIN Bus 2 settings, i'd rather have the standard buttons and either live with them not lighting or do my mod which you'll see some pics of soon.

we are really lucky in the MK5 that the power for the switches is ignition fed (terminal 15) so 12v is applied only when ignition is on, we can use this to power the led circuit inside the switches for it to work.

oh and one other thing if you want the extra buttons with cruise so it works out the box then as Eddie already said 6C0 959 442 C will get you buttons with standard cruise 6C0 959 442 D with adaptive cruise these cruise buttons will not work in your MK5 but will light up from the CH module,  all the other standard buttons will work as long as you have the CH control module.

if you have buttons 1K8 959 442 (these light up red NOT white as i previously thought) then follow this to get them to light up

remove the switches from there holders T8 torx, remove the back cover of the switch that the black plug goes in 5 pointed safety torx (jam the T8 in there)

now look for this terminal

this is common POSITIVE they put the resistors in the negative (cathode) side of the LED this  common positive powers all leds on both switches.

Annoyingly i could only find somewhere on the front of the switch so be very careful when putting back together incase you rip the copper track off the board as you'll be bending the wire back round the circuit board.

so put the circuit board back together and route the tiny wire to here

solder to terminal 2 the +12v, now when you turn the key all the buttons will light up including in the day time.

test before putting it all back together

any questions feel free to ask
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:04:29 pm by SI-R32 »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 01:22:32 pm »
Awesome work.  :happy2:

Such a simple solution. Need to get my buttons off and check the part numbers.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »
Done this mod. Annoyingly only 1 side of my switches light up.  :sad1:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2015, 02:25:55 pm »

Wow this mod seems quite involved!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »
Mine are completely f*cked now after disassembly the 2nd time. Ripped the solder off, board is knackered and now I don't have an MF buttons working. So need to replace all the buttons now anyway.

And my horn no longer works.

Ripped my controls off now. Tried repairing but no good. So left them off. Also damaged the silver surround after removing and refitting 4 times. Tab broke. All the tabs eventually broke on the steering button backings too.

So basically, don't bother modifying cars as it makes you want to burn the f*cking things.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:06:02 pm by Deako »

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2015, 06:21:10 pm »
so this is button illumination working on the Polo Scirocco 1K8 wheel with 1K8 switches (no cruise)

over the last 48 ish hours i ordered a set of buttons for my wheel which i thought would fit, but as i didn't fully check the PR numbers in ETKA i ended up with a smaller set of buttons for my wheel, not good. returned them to TPS and as i was ordering yet another set that were now more expensive they exchanged them.

last night i was at work and had 12 hours to kill and my original set of buttons with me, i started tracing out the illumination circuit on the switches and decided just to give it a go of powering it up directly with 12v.

I won't go on anymore other to say that i tried feeding the 12v to the illumination pin of the DSG paddle but bizarrely only lit up one set of switches even though i tried both sides of DSG paddle.

I found a point i could solder a wire too i tried this with 12v on it and all buttons came on.

so now i'm stuck with a set of switches on back order from TPS at a cost of 218 quid just to see if i could illuminate them.

thankfully TPS refunded (which i didn't think they did) the lot so today i'm happy.

The Issue for me is i DON'T WANT 5 or 7 extra buttons (adaptive/standard cruise control)  on my wheel just to get them to work with the CH module using the LIN Bus 2 settings, i'd rather have the standard buttons and either live with them not lighting or do my mod which you'll see some pics of soon.

we are really lucky in the MK5 that the power for the switches is ignition fed (terminal 15) so 12v is applied only when ignition is on, we can use this to power the led circuit inside the switches for it to work.

oh and one other thing if you want the extra buttons with cruise so it works out the box then as Eddie already said 6C0 959 442 C will get you buttons with standard cruise 6C0 959 442 D with adaptive cruise these cruise buttons will not work in your MK5 but will light up from the CH module,  all the other standard buttons will work as long as you have the CH control module.

if you have buttons 1K8 959 442 (these light up red NOT white as i previously thought) then follow this to get them to light up

remove the switches from there holders T8 torx, remove the back cover of the switch that the black plug goes in 5 pointed safety torx (jam the T8 in there)

now look for this terminal

this is common POSITIVE they put the resistors in the negative (cathode) side of the LED this  common positive powers all leds on both switches.

Annoyingly i could only find somewhere on the front of the switch so be very careful when putting back together incase you rip the copper track off the board as you'll be bending the wire back round the circuit board.

so put the circuit board back together and route the tiny wire to here

solder to terminal 2 the +12v, now when you turn the key all the buttons will light up including in the day time.

test before putting it all back together

any questions feel free to ask
As always SI very informative and educational for us on lookers.

Just a thought couldn't you of drilled through the board to take the stress off the pcb track?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:23:52 pm by doylebros »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2015, 06:56:38 pm »

Luke, if you use a non mfsw loom for now and re code the steering controller you should get your horn back?

I'll have a look in the shed , I'm sure I've got a non mfsw loom you can borrow