Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti  (Read 106982 times)

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2018, 01:27:21 pm »
Well. My 2nd set of brand new switches from TPS have been modified and they also only light up on one side. Frustrating.
Dragging up an old thread....

I'm do this at the moment and have the same problem.

All buttons work, and horn, no illumination, as we know.
So I did Si's wiring mod, but only one side of the buttons illuminate.

Did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline Pissat4motion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »
Picked up a mk7 golf mfsw and have a CH module on order. OBDeleven for coding. With the exception of button illumination, should what I have be enough to get button and horn function?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:59:22 am by Pissat4motion »

AndreaMala

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2018, 07:56:28 am »
so this is button illumination working on the Polo Scirocco 1K8 wheel with 1K8 switches (no cruise)

over the last 48 ish hours i ordered a set of buttons for my wheel which i thought would fit, but as i didn't fully check the PR numbers in ETKA i ended up with a smaller set of buttons for my wheel, not good. returned them to TPS and as i was ordering yet another set that were now more expensive they exchanged them.

last night i was at work and had 12 hours to kill and my original set of buttons with me, i started tracing out the illumination circuit on the switches and decided just to give it a go of powering it up directly with 12v.

I won't go on anymore other to say that i tried feeding the 12v to the illumination pin of the DSG paddle but bizarrely only lit up one set of switches even though i tried both sides of DSG paddle.

I found a point i could solder a wire too i tried this with 12v on it and all buttons came on.

so now i'm stuck with a set of switches on back order from TPS at a cost of 218 quid just to see if i could illuminate them.

thankfully TPS refunded (which i didn't think they did) the lot so today i'm happy.

The Issue for me is i DON'T WANT 5 or 7 extra buttons (adaptive/standard cruise control)  on my wheel just to get them to work with the CH module using the LIN Bus 2 settings, i'd rather have the standard buttons and either live with them not lighting or do my mod which you'll see some pics of soon.

we are really lucky in the MK5 that the power for the switches is ignition fed (terminal 15) so 12v is applied only when ignition is on, we can use this to power the led circuit inside the switches for it to work.

oh and one other thing if you want the extra buttons with cruise so it works out the box then as Eddie already said 6C0 959 442 C will get you buttons with standard cruise 6C0 959 442 D with adaptive cruise these cruise buttons will not work in your MK5 but will light up from the CH module,  all the other standard buttons will work as long as you have the CH control module.

if you have buttons 1K8 959 442 (these light up red NOT white as i previously thought) then follow this to get them to light up

remove the switches from there holders T8 torx, remove the back cover of the switch that the black plug goes in 5 pointed safety torx (jam the T8 in there)

now look for this terminal

this is common POSITIVE they put the resistors in the negative (cathode) side of the LED this  common positive powers all leds on both switches.

Annoyingly i could only find somewhere on the front of the switch so be very careful when putting back together incase you rip the copper track off the board as you'll be bending the wire back round the circuit board.

so put the circuit board back together and route the tiny wire to here

solder to terminal 2 the +12v, now when you turn the key all the buttons will light up including in the day time.

test before putting it all back together

any questions feel free to ask

I have a Scirocco of 2009 then with electronics Golf 5 2008 and I welded the wire as in the picture but the keys are lit only on the left side where the wire was welded!

does anyone know why?

steering module 1k0 953 549 CH and red Keys!

http://i63.tinypic.com/20s7r6w.jpg
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:38:43 pm by AndreaMala »

Offline Pissat4motion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 12:51:45 am »
Installed this beaut. Replaced clock spring (C), swcm (CH) and cc stalk (G), also mfsw wiring loom 5G0971584G.
Presently have no horn function. Only buttons that work are on the right. The OK button reduces volume and the silver buttons advance or start over/goes to previous music selection.
No other buttons function.
Think I've tried most Lin 2.0 coding combinations..
0000532/534/512/514/732/734/712/714
All with the same result.
Tried Lin 1.3 and no buttons function.
Anyone have an idea what the issue is?
*car is an 07 GTI w/ mfsw

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2019, 08:42:13 am »
Should be 000534. Check your airbag loom if its correct one. There are 3 and 4 wires versions
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Pissat4motion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2019, 05:56:07 pm »
Should be 000534. Check your airbag loom if its correct one. There are 3 and 4 wires versions
Thanks for the reply @olsen-72
Tried that code. Confident I have the correct loom  (airbag, controls + 1 blue + 2 brown).

It's interesting because I've read that some of the steering wheels are actual mk7-look with previous generation internals and actual mk7 wheels won't work. Can't imagine everyone in this thread doesn't know the difference lol. Looking at back up plans in case I can't get it to function as other's have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AndreaMala

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »
I think the problem is this 5G0971584G cable

MFS button are from the Polo(6R/6C)?

6C0971584G (Scirocco Polo ecc)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:38:35 pm by AndreaMala »

Offline Jonbrown88

• Thank You
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2019, 03:10:41 am »
Would i beable to fit the mk7 to my mk5 tdi & is there any forsale!

Offline Team Traxxion

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2019, 01:57:09 pm »
@olsen-72 Oe @Eddie-NL You guys seem in the know and have had some great results with this. Like others I’ve read this thread several times and think I know what I need but, I have a 2006 GTi with DSG.

Other than paddles my steering wheel has no buttons, not an MFSW, and I would love to have a MFSW. I have a steering wheel from another mk5, not flat bottom, can you swap the buttons to my wheel? Do I need the CH controller which I’ll need for a MK6 wheel anyway?

I would do this as a temporary fix until I can find a reasonably priced MK6 or 7 wheel. I’ve previously changed my R32 to a MK6 and that was easy, but looks l8ke the MK7 is a mine field :thinking: I think, unless I can find a MK7 wheel with no cruise or get the steering wheel buttons to control the cruise and lose my cruise stalk, a MK6 wheel is my limit!

Thanks in advance guys. I’m looking to go white dials next! :scared:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2019, 09:13:06 pm »
Buy facelift scirocco steering wheel, it has red button illumination and no CC/ACC buttons (mostly) - it will work since it based on PQ platform car.

Golf 7 is MQB which uses different "language" for the button that our Mk5 does

However it can work, I have Mk7 R steering wheel installed to my mk5 with CC buttons and all working
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Online terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2019, 10:20:23 am »
Cant beat the mk5 flatty for looks especially with red or yellow thread :driver:

Offline Team Traxxion

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2019, 06:06:05 pm »
Buy facelift scirocco steering wheel, it has red button illumination and no CC/ACC buttons (mostly) - it will work since it based on PQ platform car.

However it can work, I have Mk7 R steering wheel installed to my mk5 with CC buttons and all working

Do you happen to have a part number to ensure I get the right one? Thanks in advance

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

Did you have to change your steering rack Christian? Interested in the Scirocco one however as Im happy to keep CC on the stalk. Do you know Part No.?

Rob

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2019, 08:06:06 am »
@olsen-72
Alex from VW retrofit in Redditch currently has an interface board for sale
This is a rare piece of kit that (only few were made) that allows the mk7 steering wheel, WITH cruise buttons, to fully work
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2019, 09:01:03 pm »
@olsen-72
Alex from VW retrofit in Redditch currently has an interface board for sale
This is a rare piece of kit that (only few were made) that allows the mk7 steering wheel, WITH cruise buttons, to fully work

nonsens...
I can get module that will be soldered to your 1K or 5K steering electronics that will allow ACC and CC buttons to work on also. So it's not that "rare" if you know the right people.

My module will give you the options to be coded with VCDS
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button