Make a donation

Author Topic: Flickering Xenon headlights  (Read 3666 times)

Cmaher16516

Flickering Xenon headlights
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »
Just noticed driving behind other cars my lights seem to move up and down by themselves 99% of the time, no errors on dash board, just wondering has anyone ever had this issue and how do you fix it as other drivers think i am flashing at them.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Re: Flickering Xenon headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »
oem xenons or after market?

Were they coded in using vcds?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:12 pm »
I see it's your first post! Welcome

What do you mean by they're moving up and down?

Your lights are xenon which lead me to believe you have a headlight auto levelling system. This is a small sensor bolted to the inside of the passenger wheel well. This connect to the wishbone so when you go over a bump the sensor registers it and lowers the light accordingly.

My first check would be to get the passenger wheel off and take a look at this sensor, has the bolt connected to the wishbone sheared off. Sensor damaged?

Remove the wishbone connection arm. Only a 10mm bolt holding it and manually move the arm up and down to see if it works.

Offline JGM.30ED

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
  • Edition 30 No: 2255
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »
my 'wishbone connection arm' has sheared at the black nipple, are you aware if you can buy the arm only or do you have to buy a unit including the censor. this is causing my Xenons to settle to high and blinding people as I drive  :innocent:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
my 'wishbone connection arm' has sheared at the black nipple, are you aware if you can buy the arm only or do you have to buy a unit including the censor. this is causing my Xenons to settle to high and blinding people as I drive  :innocent:

You need an entire unit.

Or you can fix the arm at a set level with a cable tie.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:25 pm »
Mine move as in wobble over bumps, but I can't see the auto levelling working during driving.   That is only noticeable when you switch them on and it runs the test cycle.

Wobbling over bumps appears to be normal for some xenons.  I saw a Jaguar in my rear view doing that recently.  I feel his pain as it's bloody irritating!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 08:58:59 pm »
Mine move as in wobble over bumps, but I can't see the auto levelling working during driving.   That is only noticeable when you switch them on and it runs the test cycle.

Wobbling over bumps appears to be normal for some xenons.  I saw a Jaguar in my rear view doing that recently.  I feel his pain as it's bloody irritating!!

I found out not too long ago that it’s not an immediate relay.

As in, a change in the arm such as a speed bump won’t cause the light to adjust instantly.

There’s probably a built in signal delay that won’t change the position unless the arm is in a set state for a period of time.

When your car has 5 heavy lads and some shopping in the boot then it would dazzle people if not for the control arm which adjusts accordingly.