Make a donation

Author Topic: Morgens ED30 No. 1871 - New suspension & audio!  (Read 123662 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Morgens ED30 No. 1871! Now with a new bottom ;)
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:04 pm »

Getting stuck in, good work!

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #271 on: September 06, 2016, 12:50:11 pm »
I still haven't sorted my brakes, or my rust.. And the diffuser I had ordered was damaged in transit so I had to source another... Came across a gloss black one nearby me for sale so picked it up for £75 and that's now fitted, at least!

Next up is brakes... I 100% NEED to sort brake lines out! I also have a dead ABS sensor on the nsf so that's second on my list for now.

PFA:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:52:56 pm by Morgen »

Offline ED30Matt91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: My Edition 30 - No. 1871
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2016, 08:30:03 pm »
You don't seem to get much luck with your 30 from reading your thread, looking class here tho

[/quote]

Offline martinEd30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106463.0.html
« Reply #273 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »
Still feel that this is the best colour. Not to be biased or anything  :happy2:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
Re: My Edition 30 - No. 1871
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
You don't seem to get much luck with your 30 from reading your thread, looking class here tho

[/quote]

Haha thank you!

You're 100% correct, I have no luck at all. I was heading to Shell from my work on Tuesday night with 20 miles remaining of fuel left (Shell was only 3 miles away) and she cut out at a busy junction in the middle of rush-hour... I'm not sure that's right somehow!! I assume something's broken but for now I'll just fill her every time she hits a 1/4 tank  :confused:

Milestone hit.. 90k miles. I told myself I'd sell her when she hit 100k but I like her too much and the idea of just one more years use before changing car upsets me so she'll be here to stay until at least 2018  :grin: Might machine polish her when I have my next completely clear weekend, the rear end looks lovely and the rest of the car seriously lets its butt down  :sick:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:53 pm »
Okay...

So, eventually managed to get my front brakes on! I need to remember to order a clip however as one was broken  :surprised: They look lovely and are a massive improvement on the old gti brakes.. Got my brake lines from HEL in the end and they're lovely, too!
However, the horrendous judder still occurs so that rules out warped discs, a stuck caliper or anything brake related... I'm a little gutted.

Thouuuugh.. My boyfriend drove mines about while I went for a sunbed and when I was back in the car he questioned if it could be the rear brakes. This has never been suggested so I was a little dubious but he pulled the handbrake up while driving at a slow speed and the issue was ridiculously obvious! My rear brakes are ruined  :laugh:

Next step: pads and discs on the rear. I'm tempted to upgrade to the R32 set up again for the rear but it'll end up expensive as I'm quite the fan of powdercoating.. Grrrr

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:46 pm »
the r32 rears are a good up grade and do pop up cheap from time to time

Offline Cocoapuff

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109198.0.html
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »
Just read through all 19 pages! Sorry about all the bad luck you've had but the car has definitely come a long way, loving the R32 rear bumper & exhaust.

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2016, 12:59:31 pm »
the r32 rears are a good up grade and do pop up cheap from time to time

Unfortunately I've run out of cash for this month and with Christmas looming I'll be buying my boyfriend something quite pricey for his own car (he wants brakes or a bumper.. or R32 side skirts.. but I want to get him a mk6/7 steering wheel, oh the choices) so my brake plans are on the back burner... For now I'll buy new discs and pads with the intentions of a rear upgrade in the future  :innocent: Probably be Summer 2017 or something with how slow I am to do things!

Just read through all 19 pages! Sorry about all the bad luck you've had but the car has definitely come a long way, loving the R32 rear bumper & exhaust.

Aw, thank you! Sometimes I take a wee step back and look at her, then I'm filled with sadness and regret because the bodywork is ruined haha! Oops. But thank you anyway  :love:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Okay so here are some photos, I've finally got round to logging in on my phone!

calipers and lines before fitting: (how pretty are the lines!)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:33:12 pm by Morgen »

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
HEL still making the lines wrong FFS!  The banjo should be angled to hug the caliper more.  We supply HEL lines for those calipers but to our own specs and length. 
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »
HEL still making the lines wrong FFS!  The banjo should be angled to hug the caliper more.  We supply HEL lines for those calipers but to our own specs and length.
I bought HEL lines from JDL Brakes many years ago for R32 calipers for my GT Sport and I received the angled banjo version. The issue I had was the screw included didn't fit the caliper but my mechanic sourced the correct one and got it all fitted.

Bought rears for my Ed. 30 and they also had to be adjusted to fit correctly.

Can't see why after all these years there are still being made kits that don't fit directly... :laugh:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »
I never had an issue with the brake lines on mines  :smiley: They fit with no issues; so I see no issue.

Bought new rear discs & pads a few weeks back and they were fitted yesterday. We only noticed that they'd supplied me with mk4 pads when it came to fitting them, so another trip to Euros! Then on doing the drivers side it was evident the bearing needed replaced too: another trip to Euros  :indifferent:

Went over to Edinburgh today with three of my friends and we took my car.. There appears to be a slight vibration still but it's greatly reduced! I'm going to take it a good drive on my own and actually try to decide if there's much difference at all.. If there's not I'm at a total loss as to what's broken  :fighting:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:48 am »
Okay, so...

It's been two and a bit months since I last updated this so I've had multiple issues with the car since and I'll probably miss a few!

Since approximately November I've had the TPMS and ABS warning lights popping up on my dash so we VAGcom'd it and it appeared to be a dodgy sensor on the osf. Sensors are £50 so I put it on the back burner until after Christmas (end of January) because as per usual I'm skint. It was irritating the life out of me however because my traction control would kick in around roundabouts or corners and I'd be left with somebody sitting right up my chuff. Woops, sorry! Had to remember to turn my TC off everytime I was in the car. Long story short, bought a sensor, fitted it in February and it was still broken.. Turns out the wire had been caught in the wheel or something and needed a lot of soldering to fix it. Should buy loom at some point to rectify this totally but the light is now off and that's one bit fixed!

Had to drive to my Dads on Christmas day to say hello, collect my presents etc etc.. He gave me £200 which was nice but on the drive back home my suspension decided to give up life completely and the rear end was totally dangerous! Shocks were kaput. On boxing day I grudgingly spent that £200 on new suspension.. Fk's. I also however forgot that my old coilovers included top mounts and I needed to buy those too.. Front's had to wait. New rears were fitted on new year's day and it was so good to drive something without thinking I was going to die.

Was pulled over late November for my number plate too, but the police officer was quite nice about it and told me he would send the fine to the fiscal to see if they would drop it. Of course, they didn't so I had to pay £100 because I prefer how it looks. I also haven't put it back on yet because I'm an idiot. Should probably get around to it.

New front suspension and top mounts were fitted in February too, same time as the osf sensor.. Car drives so much better with the new stuff on, so I can forgive that they're FK's! No more knocking top mounts yay.

Two days ago I turned her on to drive home and it was running on 3 cylinders and seriously unhappy.. Could have cried as all it has done recently is break. Left it at my work and got a lift home and decided to deal with the issue the next day. Plugs and coils are both new so I was dreading the next things to check. Turns out the dipstick had twisted ever so slightly and wasn't tight... That's it. HAAAAHAHAHA  :grin:

Anyway that's about it for anything car wise but it's only the 3rd month of the year so I'm sure there's loads more to break, fix then break again! Can't wait. Although, my insurance company are trying to double my premium and add some so who knows how much longer Roo will be in my possession... If I can't sort insurance I've got two months left with her before she'll be up for sale at a stupidly cheap price. Nothing good ever happens to me  :ashamed:

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:15 am »
Keep smiling the joys of owning a VW x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk