Make a donation

Author Topic: Morgens ED30 No. 1871 - New suspension & audio!  (Read 123681 times)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
Re: My Edition 30 - No. 1871
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »
You might want to look at Still Static, you can get seriously low drops but still have the handling you need for added power.

Your question shouldn't be "which should I do, power or prowess" but more "which should I do first?".

A bit of patience, part hunting and being prepared to pick up a spanner to crack the simpler jobs yourself will result in a more modified car than your budget first allows.

I really love your original Up!, it looked amazing.

To pick up a spanner, I'd need a spanner  :sad1:

May invest in tools, no idea where even to begin with the mechanics of a car though haha!

Thanks as well, I do miss my little Up! I did a good job with her IMO  :P

More pics

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »
Halfords 150 piece socket set is the best place to start in terms of tool collection. Also get yourself a Haynes manual, it's a bible! That's where I started out, plus using online guides to help where the manuals fell short. No-one was born knowing how to do things to their cars.

I love Up!'s, especially dropped ones. They're under-rated as VW's in the show world go.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 04:50:45 pm »
Start with a stage 1 map, it will transform your Eddy, once youve gotten used it to and if you require more power......then add more.

Some handling mods are always good, not only help with the aforementioned handling but with Coils or even speings will give you a nice stance.

Happy modding.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:39 pm »
I agree the Halfords Professional Tools are OK for the DIY Mechanic and come with a lifetime warranty... break it, waltz in there and they replace it no questions, win.

It's nice to know a bit, if only not to get fleeced when you go to a garage; but if you find a decent Indy that won't happen.

Start with the Brakes on an Eddy imo; R32 / Golf R then get it mapped at a decent tuner who will check the cam follower as part of the process.

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
Halfords 150 piece socket set is the best place to start in terms of tool collection. Also get yourself a Haynes manual, it's a bible! That's where I started out, plus using online guides to help where the manuals fell short. No-one was born knowing how to do things to their cars.

I love Up!'s, especially dropped ones. They're under-rated as VW's in the show world go.

I bought a mk2f Polo to start messing around with back in March, then annoyingly lost my job and couldn't purchase the Haynes manual and tools I had already planned haha, so also sold the car! I may as well get the Halfords set, its not too dear and I suppose it'll be worth it in the end.. Nothing wrong with getting down & dirty  :ashamed:

My little Up! only managed one show: cumbriavag.. My so-called friend opened my drivers door into a moving car and completely wrecked it. Needed a new door and a wing, too.. He said he'd come up with the cash after two months of failing to source a door.. Then said he wasn't paying a penny at all! So I sold up, as the gearbox wasn't too friendly either  :innocent:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »
I agree the Halfords Professional Tools are OK for the DIY Mechanic and come with a lifetime warranty... break it, waltz in there and they replace it no questions, win.

It's nice to know a bit, if only not to get fleeced when you go to a garage; but if you find a decent Indy that won't happen.

Start with the Brakes on an Eddy imo; R32 / Golf R then get it mapped at a decent tuner who will check the cam follower as part of the process.

My boyfriends already gone on and one about that bloody cam follower.. It'll probably be the first thing getting checked and it'll be booked in for a DSG service in December. Yum, pricey!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 05:03:02 pm »
That bloody cam follower is a DIY job (with a Halfords set) and could save your engine, you'd be amazed at how worn it could be. Anyone mentioned checking the PCV and DV to you either?

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 05:14:32 pm »
Nope, I've been told to get the cam follower checked as the cars on 74k ish, and to have a DSG service as it unfortunately hasn't been done yet and it realllllly should have. That's all I've been told so far! The belt & water pumps been changed in february this year though, I know that much  :ashamed:

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 05:18:07 pm »
Going back to tools

If you get hold of a halfords trade card, or know someone who has one then you get a big discount on tools and oils, bulbs etc  :happy2:
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 05:19:20 pm »
CF: It's defo a DIY job for those confident enough, I wouldn't advise it for someone starting out tbh... fuel pressure being my biggest concern.  Tip: Opening the Drivers door primes the fuel pump (listen for it next time you get in the car first time in the day) so if you do the follower make sure the door isn't opened... spillage on Isle 6/

It's a very real problem of the TFSI though, but it's a great engine, especially the Eddy with the K04 and the ability to easily extract 300 bhp.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »
Testing the Pressure Control Valve (PCV) takes 10 seconds. Get your engine warm and at idle, then pull the dip stick out. If the engine tries to stall and catches itself, PCV is fine. If it idles flat however, you'll need to replace it.

The Diverter Valve (DV), for you, is right at the front of the engine near the top (can't recall exact location as I have a standard GTI which differs). Again, take it out and look at it. If it's got rips or tears in the rubber bit, it's knackered (funnily enough..!). Many options in terms of replacing it, dig around the fourm for advice.

There's also guides and more info if you have a quick search too! But defo get that DSG service done, as much as it'll sting you. A broken 'box will be a complete show stopper. Must do my 'box oil too at some stage (luckily I have a manual so not such a top priority! :P)

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 01:06:59 am »
Just need to be richer, not older - I'm much older, and still can't get a car for each of my auto cravings!!  :driver:

Older means richer! Pay rises, cheaper insurance etc  :grin:

Today I bought some carbon fibre extensions for my flappy paddles.. Alongside a years insurance and paid my tax also  :confused:

Most expensive Halloween ever, Golf will be on the road tomorrow though  :drool:

Not when you've just started a business and had a baby - although yeah, insurance is much cheaper!

Have you seen AP coilovers? Also yeah I would definitely get a socket set, some torx screwdriver bits and a good set of spanners and start tinkering. If you enjoyed the styling then you could always get in to modding the engine bay to look good too! Sometimes I think I'd rather be taking bits off the engine, or buffing my headlamps  :signLOL: than driving... (not really!)

Defo do DV PCV and Cam Follower - firstly, they're great intros to car mechanics and secondly they're usually worth doing on a performance Golf with a few miles on it. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87824.0.html
How did she know?

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »
YouTube is your friend on fixing stuff...pretty much a 'how to' video on anything and everything, although watch a few to make sure they tie up, some people skip the 'details'

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:37 pm »
Yesterday was the first day I had her on the road! so today I spent a good few hours cleaning the car.. Went to my friends who had some demon whatever it is snow foam..  :confused:

So we used that on it, then I just shampoo'd it with some autoglym stuff anyway and employed my friends little cousin to clean my wheels  :P  :ashamed:

The paint isn't in too bad condition but my boyfriend had bought me some bilt hamber clay to do my last car with and I'd never used it before, so I cracked on with that and clayed the bonnet! Yay, first time for everything..

Had limited time as my friend had to go so we dried the car off & I headed off to Halfords as I'd run out of microfibres! Bought some microfibres and little spongey autoglym things to apply my polish with, then went home and cracked on!

Here she is after a wee polish  :love:

Then the rain came on quite heavy and it got really dark so I gave up after waxing only the bonnet  :sad1:
But theres one good thing about rain!

Pretty wheels :)

After all this I decided I wanted to de-wiper the car in the pitch black.. So I remove the plastic cap and the little nut, too.. But the wiper arm itself wouldn't budge.. So I spent twenty minutes trying to shift it and it wouldn't move.. Oh well, I decided to take apart the inside at that point to save me getting frustrated more.. Trim on the inside came off, wiper motor is detached and the washer too... Now I've just gotta get that wiper arm off.. An hour later and it's still not off. I am at my wits end  :confused: having to wait until tomorrow now so I can get some help with it.. I feel a bit stupid but I've tried my best, watched guides and done everything I've been told to without any success  :confused: Stupid car! Now the rear end is covered in handprints and god knows what, I feel sometimes like I don't know why I bother trying to do things myself, I'm such a useless female  :signLOL:

Here's what I can't get..

PLEEEEEASE somebody tell me they've had a similar issue and I'm not JUST totally useless  :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:
I'll clean her again the next time there's a dry weekend though!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »
The amount of "10 minute DIY jobs" that have taken me days is beyond a joke. Don't give up. :happy2: