Make a donation

Author Topic: Foxwell NT500 diagnostic tool  (Read 18828 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Foxwell NT500 diagnostic tool
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »
So I'd thought I'd share a little review with everyone of a diagnostic tool I recently got and started using. It's as the title suggests, a Foxwell NT500, a full specification can be found here;

http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-125.html

Why

Most enthusiasts like to carry out work or modifications on their own driveway, and pretty much all cars post 1992 have had the ability for computer diagnostics to be carried out. These days, almost all faults can be detected via a fault code scan but also may service reminders and warning lights require something that can "talk" to the ECU to clear/diagnose such things. It makes sense then that an average enthusiast tool kit includes some sore of diagnostic tool.

Reason I chose this one personally is that it is not only a generic ODB2 reader, but a VAG specific one which allows you access to all the modules for better diagnostics and fault clearing. It's very comprehensive in the amount of cars it caters specifically for, and it's LCD screen is very clear to read with not only fault numbers but plain language descriptions of faults too.

Sourcing

I personally went on eBay to get mine, cost me £120 which isn't cheaper when you compare it to other generic ODB2 readers which can be as little as £25 but it's half the price of VCDS almost. The drawback of course is the reduced functionality but if you have no intention of coding in new equipment but still want an almost dealer level of diagnostic kit, this ticks the boxes nicely.

Fitting

Plug and play. For many people, the connecting port for your car is in the driver's foot well.

Other versions

As mentioned, VCDS is top dog and I'm not going to suggest for a minute it's better overall than this. On the flip side, if all you want is basic fault code reading and clearing you can get more generic readers at half the price, but you'll loose many additional features and specific VAG compatibility.

Plus Points

Easy to use
VAG specific and ODB2 generic (i.e. pretty much all cars since 1992)
Small and easily carried about, no need for carrying a laptop about
Half the cost of VCDS

Minus Points

Saving faults and later calling them up isn't as easy as VCDS
No coding of new equipment
Twice the cost of generic readers

Summary

If you're a home mechanic, this is seriously worth considering if, like me, you need access to your VAG car's ECU but don't want to spend the £250 needed for VCDS or have the need to code in new equipment. It's straight forward and easy to operate, accessing all modules of VAG cars and clearing all faults while resetting all service indicators too.

The instructions are clear to follow with pictures for every step. Updating the software is easy too, especially if using a laptop with an SD card reader as you plug the tool's card into your computer, run the software, update, unplug and go.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:48:22 pm by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
Re: Foxwell NT500 diagnostic tool
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:44:28 am »
So, it's been 18 months with this tool and it's just getting better and better with each update.

I'll re-review it properly at a later date, but I've now been using it for coding, they're upgraded the software on it and continue to work on improving it all the time and the amount I've used it far outweighs the initial cost of buying the unit.

It really is the VCDS alternative on a budget.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:51 am »
Shame the Chinese link is dead  :slap:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »
Shame the Chinese link is dead  :slap:

Sorted that now, cheers for pointing it out. They need to update the pictures and info, the webpage still shows V1 software but it's up to V8 for the VAG section now. It's getting really good now, and updates are regular.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:12:16 pm »
This is a very good tool from your review and what I lve seen and read on the site.

caters for other manufacturers too.  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:22:10 pm »
Yeah, it's also a generic ODB2 fault code reader. I used it on a KA before and it got the fault and identified it as well so there was no taking a code and looking online.

There's a new feature that doesn't quite work yet (well, maybe it's just me!) that auto scans your VIN and then selects the specific vehicle from that. That is needed to do in depth testing, coding and other work so it's a neat feature if I can get it fully working, saves a lot of messing about through menus.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:20 pm »
I may just invest in one if I get my little on the side business up and running as this seems like a great tool and as you said compact so no need to drag the laptop around with its cable and bag lol

Excellent  :smiley:

Coconut

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:46:08 am »
Investment has sound