Make a donation

Author Topic: Brands Hatch M3 Driving Experience Review 16/11/14  (Read 4971 times)

Offline JimmyC92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88339.msg896687.html#msg896687
Brands Hatch M3 Driving Experience Review 16/11/14
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:36:30 pm »
So I finally got to throw the M3 round Brands Hatch. The experience was bought for me as a birthday present from the other half, she knew how badly I wanted to get some track experience!

Firstly you obviously have to ring up and book, the selection of dates and times was vast and the closest one was two weeks away, which wasn't too bad in my opinion. I ended up going for an 11am start, which from Southampton to the track is about a two hour journey, typically the night before we are due to leave the battery on my Golf died, luckily my father-in-law-to-be had a jump pack in the shed and she fired right up! We left the pack on charge over night and of course had to use it the next morning, I took it with me to be safe, however after that drive it had given the battery enough juice to fire up again upon our return  :happy2:

Anyway, the staff at the venue where amazing! Full of knowledge and friendly! We arrived a bit early so we grabbed a fry up from the onsite cafe. The driving experience was aimed around teaching people who had never driven on a real life track the chance to go behind the wheel of the BMW on the famous track, whilst being one to one tutored by an experienced race driver who was riding shotgun. You begin with a safety briefing, which isn't the usual death-by-powerpoint, instead it explains a bit more behind the science and geography of how to tackle the track, then you are taken out with the tutor at the wheel to show you the layout and the best line to take, you then swap seats.
The pits:

Twat in a hat:

The line up:

Waiting for my instructor:

Now I can honestly say I despise side seat drivers...My other half does it all the time and it drives me insane, however these guys are completely professional, who are more concerned with you to enjoy the experience and learn as much as possible. When I went the track was fairly cold and damp, which as you may guess in a 480bhp rear wheel drive BMW is entertaining to keep stuck on the road, unfortunately power slides where a frowned upon thing, however there where occasions where you cannot help the back end stepping out slightly! As well as my first time on a proper track, it was also my first time driving a flappy paddle box, I cannot get over how smooth and quick the changes are! Never failed to amuse me how, under full load, when you change up, the rear wheels slip a little. Also I never realised how slippery those tracks are, even on the more open bends at 70 at MPH...We where also informed I entered a four wheel slide at one point.  :scared: At the end of the session you are given a written evaluation of your performance, relating to braking, steering, overall control, mechanical sympathy, etc for which I scored 85/100 and a certificate.

On the track:

Overall it was one of the most memorable presents I have ever had! I do have a soft spot for BMW's and to take something like that and get let loose on a track such as Brands Hatch was a great experience! If you have never driven a track before and want to give it a go the I seriously suggest giving the guys at Motor Sport Vision a shout, you get around two hours of track time and it was around £180, which considering the quality of the one to one tuition you receive I'de say its well worth it! I learned so much and had a bucket load of fun, best of all it meant my pride and joy was no where near coming to any harm  :happy2:
Looking for some BBS CH/LM Reps to swap for my Classix plus cash your way:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,91888.msg924311.html#msg924311

Saintsteve

Re: Brands Hatch M3 Driving Experience Review 16/11/14
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »
Nice review , the DSG in VW is just as good , if not better :innocent:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:53:41 pm »

Sounds like a great experience :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
I've done the M3 Masters experience at Brands Hatch as well, it's a fantastic day out. Getting to drive an M3 at full throttle which I don't own was a pretty awesome way to spend an afternoon.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline JimmyC92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88339.msg896687.html#msg896687
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:55:08 pm »

So I have been reliably informed! Have yet to give one a go  :wink:

Sounds like a great experience :happy2:

It was mate! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I've done the M3 Masters experience at Brands Hatch as well, it's a fantastic day out. Getting to drive an M3 at full throttle which I don't own was a pretty awesome way to spend an afternoon.

I think thats the best part, just handing it back and thinking thank f*ck that wasn't my car!
Looking for some BBS CH/LM Reps to swap for my Classix plus cash your way:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,91888.msg924311.html#msg924311

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »

Is it ? I test drove DSG in a MK7 GTI  couple of weeks ago and didn`t think it was as good as my M3.
In saying that the M3 has nearly double the power of the GTI and fast progress didn`t seem as fast
Of course I am more used to the BMW and maybe the Golf would take time to get used to.
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic