Make a donation

Author Topic: Team dynamics 1.2's and Federal 959RSR's  (Read 5190 times)

dansmith180

Team dynamics 1.2's and Federal 959RSR's
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »
I currently have 19" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 2's and am looking to get so me 18" Team Dynamics 1.2's and put some Federal 959RSR's on for Track /1/4mile / summer driving.

Just looking for any reviews really.
Was the weight loss from the wheel noticable?
If so then in what way?
Are they worth the money?
Has anybody used the Federals before and how did you find them?
Any other recommendations for lightweight wheels or track tyres still good for road use?

Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=luqb8dboldfddpgn3ue23v6ts6&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Team dynamics 1.2's and Federal 959RSR's
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »

Offline Andy1994

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »
i have these wheels along with nankang ns2r tyres, wheels are noticeably lighter but wouldnt say they affected driving the car much, but the tyres are very good! extremely grippy and wear is very good for the price!

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »
i have these wheels along with nankang ns2r tyres, wheels are noticeably lighter but wouldnt say they affected driving the car much, but the tyres are very good! extremely grippy and wear is very good for the price!

Cheers, yeh as much as I don't like Nankangs I've heard a few good reviews on the NS2R's so might be worth considering, although I'll probably be a snob and get the Federals instead  :laugh:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »
@Beddie

You rang  :laugh:

I have this exact setup, 18" TD pro race 1.2s and the 595s aka the Taiwanese track tyres of win  :smiley:

Weight loss compared to the OE wheels is definitely noticeable

The weight loss is felt in a couple of ways I find, both lighter quicker steering feel and slighter better ride control over bumps etc from the front end

Yeah I'd say definitely worth the money even for the limited use I get from them

Great wheels that look ace on the mk5/6 and the tyres are a revelation grip wise when compared to 'sporty' road rubber, wear rates are reasonable too  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:13 pm »
@Beddie

You rang  :laugh:

I have this exact setup, 18" TD pro race 1.2s and the 595s aka the Taiwanese track tyres of win  :smiley:

Weight loss compared to the OE wheels is definitely noticeable

The weight loss is felt in a couple of ways I find, both lighter quicker steering feel and slighter better ride control over bumps etc from the front end

Yeah I'd say definitely worth the money even for the limited use I get from them

Great wheels that look ace on the mk5/6 and the tyres are a revelation grip wise when compared to 'sporty' road rubber, wear rates are reasonable too  :smiley:

Haha, lovely mate exactly what I was looking for cheers  :happy2:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:35:05 pm »
^^ No probs mate  :happy2:

Like any R rubber just be mindful of standing water, the 595s are very impressive in damp conditions I've found but things can get a bit emotional if you hit standing water at speed  :grin:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

dansmith180

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:21 pm »
^^ No probs mate  :happy2:

Like any R rubber just be mindful of standing water, the 595s are very impressive in damp conditions I've found but things can get a bit emotional if you hit standing water at speed  :grin:

Haha I bet they can, I'll use the Goodyear's most of the time but fancy something super sticky for 1/4 mile and the 2 weeks of summer  :laugh:

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:49:57 pm »
The 595 are good for the money and so are the nankangs but the 888 was in another league for me easily ome of the best thing i done i consider the 595 and and nankang as a summer tyre more then a trackday allthough there good enough for most as an all rounder
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

dansmith180

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »
The 595 are good for the money and so are the nankangs but the 888 was in another league for me easily ome of the best thing i done i consider the 595 and and nankang as a summer tyre more then a trackday allthough there good enough for most as an all rounder

Yeh I would love a set of 888's but they're a bit out of my budget tbh, they'll probably just end up being used for summer and a trip or two to Santapod. If I had 500+ ponies to put down then I'd definitely need the 888's  :driver:, do any other Tyres even work on yours?

Offline jk99

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:56 pm »
Kumho V70's are a great track day tyre that come in somewhere between 595's and 888's budget wise. I've being using them in the hard compound for the past couple of years doing a mix of track days and fast road driving and find them great. From talking to people at the track the 888's seem more suited to light weight cars rather than the golf, they go off very quickly and need to be heat cycled carefully.

Offline jk99

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »
I've just ordered a set of Pro Race 1.2's to try for next year. I'll probably be gaining weight with them as I'm moving from 8x18 OZ Ultraleggera to a 9x17 in the 1.2's. The change is purely to get extra rubber on while maintaining brake clearance.

I did notice a good difference when moving from stock wheels to the OZ. Lighter wheel seems to give a lot more precision to steering inputs and puts up with road bumps better too.

dansmith180

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:28:46 pm »
I've just ordered a set of Pro Race 1.2's to try for next year. I'll probably be gaining weight with them as I'm moving from 8x18 OZ Ultraleggera to a 9x17 in the 1.2's. The change is purely to get extra rubber on while maintaining brake clearance.

I did notice a good difference when moving from stock wheels to the OZ. Lighter wheel seems to give a lot more precision to steering inputs and puts up with road bumps better too.

Cheers, I would love some OZ ultra's but the only way I could afford a set is to sell my current wheels but not sure if I want to.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:50:00 pm »

but with the R888 you get LOTS OF ROAD NOISE, less wet grip and a greater wear rate.  Bearing in mind were not racing drivers and 99% of the cars use is road work, id say the extra grip and cost above that of the 595RSR is just not worth it.

I was blown away by the grip of the RSR in very wet conditions on track.  I was happily following the rear bumper of a Focus RS MP350 running the Sport Conti 5 tyres in my car which had "worn" RSR tyres fitted at a cold Mallory Park Trackday in what was pretty much torrential rain.  There is no way i would have been as quick with R888s on.  Same goes at Silverstone, i was lapping silverstone on a hot trackday pretty hard with the RSRs and they never failed to impress, didnt go off and hardly wore.  Id wager the R888s wouldnt have lasted any where near as long, nor made my day any more enjoyable.

For me, the RSR is the best all round tyre when you consider not only dry grip, but wet grip, wear rate and cost.

Anyone try the  Nankang NS-2R?  Apparently a direct competitor to the RSR!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:31:31 pm »
The nankangs are cheaper and have a higher speed & load rating to the federals. They seem to be getting decent reviews too