Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 with Bluefin Stage 2  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
ED30 with Bluefin Stage 2
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:16:06 am »
Hi All,

Great forum, looking forward to chatting with you all !

My first post so please be gentle  :smiley:

I have just bought a Ed30 as a bit of a weekend fun car as i don't drive to work anymore, i bought from a VW dealer so in very good condition and has a warranty.

I have installed BF stage 1, which is great !, the car is transformed, really fast. My question is can i install a stage 2 map with no other mods and see any gains ? (i don't plan to get the induction kit/exhaust for a while). Reading the APR site their stage 1+ is map and just fuel pump, but most other tuners go pump after induction and exhaust ?. Not sure which direction to take, i really like the BF ability to flash back to stock whilst i have the warranty should something happen.

Really would like to increase the power without doing the exhaust just yet as that will be a pain to switch back to stock in i need to take it to the dealer. Could i go stage 2 BF with just induction ?, do i need fuel pump ?

Many thanks all ! :happy2:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
Re: ED30 with Bluefin Stage 2
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
Bluefin are terrible would bin it off and go reputable tuner

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:14:31 pm »
why do you say that ?

Can anyone advise on BF stage 2 ?

thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:45:43 am »
You need the hardware to go with a stage 2 map, they don't state the minimum mods required just for the fun of it.

As above, sack the bluefin off and get something half tidy. The boost spike and lack of fuelling are more than enough to put me off
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:59:52 am »
You need the hardware to go with a stage 2 map, they don't state the minimum mods required just for the fun of it.

As above, sack the bluefin off and get something half tidy. The boost spike and lack of fuelling are more than enough to put me off

^^ He speaks the truth

See here about how poor the Bluefin Stage 2 is: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65077.0.html

What you need to remember that 300+ bhp is a lot of power for a 2.0 engine, so the boost, fuelling & timing are important to the longevity of your engine. You can't upload a map which is expecting more air, a free-er flowing exhaust and expect it to work without causing trouble. Unless you understand what you are doing, dont mess with your engine!

Also, sack off bluefin & choose a reputable tuner which is recomended by us on the forum  :drinking: - Theres a wealth of advice on here.
May be worth perusing the modification section of the forum for advise and feedback on modifications (like what induction kit is best etc. . . )
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline MK1Campaign

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »
These guys are speaking the truth.
Lookup R-Tech in Hinckley. They are the masters at TFSI tuning and have a very good reputation. Nik is mapping these cars every day of the week.

You'll sell your Bluefin module easily on eBay.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »
ouch, did i post this in the R-Tech forum by mistake !? :grin:

I personally really like delivery from the super chips map, it feels fast and the slug of torque is addictive, love it. The ability to flash back to stock is great and their customer support is fantastic, not sure why they are getting such a bashing.

i read that post where the chap reduced the torque and flattened the power delivery so it feels more linear and less 'turbo charged' i can't think of anything worse that doing that to something as fun as a turbo charged front wheel drive hot hatch. Each to there own though and he certainly sounds happy with R-Tech and they sound like they know what they are doing.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »
The concern with Superchips is that it's basically asking too much of the car, it asks for 110% of what the turbo can offer, as well as requesting lots of fuel to go with it - as Steve said causing issues behind the scenes.

A 300+bhp ed30 will still feel turbo charged (mine does  :laugh:) but it doesnt have to be diesel-like in the fact that the boost is dumped all in one to and then tails off to the red-line.

The Superchips map must feel Great when you first open the taps (apart from all the wheelspin), then tail off as you rev it  harder :surprised:

Where yours is running out of puff, the R-Tech car will pull way ahead. As Steve said in his write up, the latest map is much faster
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:13:41 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »
My stage 1 edition 30 bluefin ran fine with 314 bhp and fueling/afr was fine I chose to change tuner, Got a discount as I had competitor software and heard anything after stage 1 bluefin wasn't great
Bang for buck I was very pleased with my bluefin

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:30:28 pm »
My stage 1 edition 30 bluefin ran fine with 314 bhp and fueling/afr was fine I chose to change tuner, Got a discount as I had competitor software and heard anything after stage 1 bluefin wasn't great
Bang for buck I was very pleased with my bluefin

Interesting, which company did you switch to ?, how did that map compare ?, was it as fun as the BF map ?. Did you try BF stage 2.

Thanks !

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
I went from stage 1 to stage 1+ at the time with apr but changed the fuel pump internals so can't really compair but obviously it pulled alot better and was better than old map but would be.

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:50:54 pm »
Speaking from experience I had bluefin on my eddy stage 1 running 330hp and 370ftlb but it was all over the shop I had 2+ with Nicky and you should look up my posts from there, and look at my graph from bluefin. Also they lock out the ecu so I had a sh*t ta pants moment when my ecu locked out on Nicky it's a good job the mans an absolute legend and sorted it for me with another ecu board. That's why I'll never ever use them although I had it in there when I brought the car it's enough experience for me thanks.check out my boost graph on the bluefin we are talking rallye car boost lol