Make a donation

Author Topic: Front brake upgrade - 4 pot, two piece rotor. Where to buy & recommendations  (Read 12408 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=48gkns3vok1ud8r5qd11sd1if0&/topic,19740.0.html
Well... similar to the ones ive got which are semi floating I think, in that they can expand but have no lateral movement ( i think)

Ive got Rs42 pads... if i were tracking it all the time i would probably get some project mu pads or similar.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Well... similar to the ones ive got which are semi floating I think, in that they can expand but have no lateral movement ( i think)

Ive got Rs42 pads... if i were tracking it all the time i would probably get some project mu pads or similar.
Project mu...not heard of those, where did you get yours from?
There's so much to consider here, probably the only modification I will have done with as many variables  :rolleye:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=48gkns3vok1ud8r5qd11sd1if0&/topic,19740.0.html
I got my setup from alex.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Ask Alex about the new 343mm kit, fitted to a couple of dedicated track cars in Germany and Australia and doing very well. It's also available as a bolted kit.

At 13.5" it's on the recommended cusp of needing to be floating so it can be reasonably affordable

Uses a brembo Caliper with 36/40mm Pistons and the same pad shape as a a F430 so plenty of choice, it's going on a Pirelli Monday at AKS so we'll know soon enough.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Ask Alex about the new 343mm kit, fitted to a couple of dedicated track cars in Germany and Australia and doing very well. It's also available as a bolted kit.

At 13.5" it's on the recommended cusp of needing to be floating so it can be reasonably affordable

Uses a brembo Caliper with 36/40mm Pistons and the same pad shape as a a F430 so plenty of choice, it's going on a Pirelli Monday at AKS so we'll know soon enough.
I actually tried to contact you about this a while back without any luck. PM and email.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
I'm out of the country more than ever now. Hence why Alex has pretty much become the focal point of sales on the forums nowadays.

Any time I get is R&D and shipping to Alex in the main

Offline Burbs22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
The Pirelli that was mentioned is mine it's with Alex this week having everything fitted so we should know very soon how good it is.

By the sound of things from what Dave has told me it is going to be very good, powerful, lightweight, great feel, slim fit to go behind most wheels with minimal spacing loads of pad choice floating or bolted everything you want in a set of brakes and of course Dave has put it together and I don't think there is anybody in the country I would trust more with brakes!

As it happens I am doing a track day next Saturday at Goodwood as well for the Saywell charity day so I will be able to put them to the test properly and see how they hold up!  Fingers crossed all is good!   :driver:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
What calipers burbs?

Offline Burbs22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
The Brembo 4 pots Dave mentioned.

I will be picking the car up Saturday and Alex has taken a few photos for me etc then once I've done the track day etc I will to do a review.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
The Brembo 4 pots Dave mentioned.

I will be picking the car up Saturday and Alex has taken a few photos for me etc then once I've done the track day etc I will to do a review.

What are they off? DB9? porsche boxster? Turbo?

Offline Burbs22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Sorry I'm not really sure I think Dave will be best to answer but similar to various different models mk1 lcr f430 possibly jags and astons too. I wish I could be more help but I am not 100% sure.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
What you need are the 362mm 2 piece AP discs with the 4 pots, HEL braided lines, VBT a caliper carriers and associated fitting kit. Project Mu pads if you are doing a lot of track days.
The discs and pads will go all day and night without issue.
Buy once and buy quality at the right spec for what you need. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Sorry I'm not really sure I think Dave will be best to answer but similar to various different models mk1 lcr f430 possibly jags and astons too. I wish I could be more help but I am not 100% sure.

They are taken straight from a Seat Leon Cupra R MK1.  Great little caliper that's used by most of the Super cars.  Massive pad choice.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
What you need are the 362mm 2 piece AP discs with the 4 pots, HEL braided lines, VBT a caliper carriers and associated fitting kit. Project Mu pads if you are doing a lot of track days.
The discs and pads will go all day and night without issue.
Buy once and buy quality at the right spec for what you need. :happy2:

I supply and fit this kit more to than any other.  Even run them on my van with the Pagid RS4-2 pads.  The vRS uses the 362mm discs with some 8 pots and the PMU pads.

So popular I always keep the kits and various pad options on the shelf.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Well, they're on and I'm very pleased with them.
JKM reported that they were an excellent fit and a very comprehensive kit. Everything needed was included, right down to the smallest component.
Only covered a few miles since completing Pagids bedding in instructions for RST3 pads, but so far very impressed.