Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf  (Read 115140 times)

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Thank you. 
I upgraded my gateway for AN to avoid battery drain with RNS510
When fitted discover media and sat nav wouldn't work, I noticed 'infotainment' wasn't displayed but could get it by typing 5F
I thought putting latest BC gateway would solve this.
With BC I get 'infotainment' but sat nav still not working.

Tried unit in a 2012 caddy and it worked.  That had H gateway, quite early so bought a H and tried it, still no sat nav so think I can rule that out!

2012 caddy has newer abs pump, you've upgraded yours.
I think this could be the main difference to look. 

Still unsure how RNS can get all the data signal but infotainment won't :(

I have 3d clocks but CP protect comes up.
Lucky I also have full colour 2D too so swapped down for now

I also gave mk7 climatronic panel
Bought the scirocco bottom half and old mk5 top half. 
Just got to chop and join them.
Was it easy to hide join and paint to match the dark grey finish?

Not sure which data you're after that you get on the RNS and not the MIB 2?
I've got a can-blocker on mine that will bypass the CP lock with the 3d cluster :)

retrofitting the mk7 clima panel is an easy job. Yea you need your current facia and cut out a piece that you can replace with a piece that'll fit the new panel. Tried to trim down the Scirocco panel at first, but wasn't never happy with the result - so I'll cutted both parts up and plastic welded it together again.

I've wrapped mine with 3M black brushed look to avoid paint.. Marked up how I cutted mine to make it fit.. Just had a recent break in, in the car so this frame is broken that's why it look that way it does hehe..

All though I'm going to make a new piece to make it fit with my new climatronic panel that will have same adjustment wheels as the wheel on the mib2. The panel I've got installed now is with matching wheels to the RNS units. - Still will have the function of my air quality sensor with the new panel too :)
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Looks ace.
I have the two fascia panels... was thinking of cutting both about half way up the radio......  SD card slot height and joining there.
Bond in a piece of plastic strip at the back for strength. 
There is a flat area, each side, between the clips.

Regarding the CP blocker. I need to get one, for 3D clocks but think they're expensive.... would look into gettjng one, but not without the sat nav working....
Although maybe this would help sat nav work too?   Who knows.....  LoL

It's not getting the 'speed' sensor info.... to tell sat nav the car is travelling.
Gps signal is fine, but only checks this every now and again to check car is where it should be.   Inbetween it moves by car speed.   Without this it doesn't work :(
Strange tho. In green diagnostic menu there is a speed display (kph) and that works...so speed signal is there.   Just sat nav isn't seeing it :(

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:18:38 am by ady-uk »
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Looks ace.
I have the two fascia panels... was thinking of cutting both about half way up the radio......  SD card slot height and joining there.
Bond in a piece of plastic strip at the back for strength. 
There is a flat area, each side, between the clips.

Regarding the CP blocker. I need to get one, for 3D clocks but think they're expensive.... would look into gettjng one, but not without the sat nav working....
Although maybe this would help sat nav work too?   Who knows.....  LoL

It's not getting the 'speed' sensor info.... to tell sat nav the car is travelling.
Gps signal is fine, but only checks this every now and again to check car is where it should be.   Inbetween it moves by car speed.   Without this it doesn't work :(
Strange tho. In green diagnostic menu there is a speed display (kph) and that works...so speed signal is there.   Just sat nav isn't seeing it :(

Ah yea, my car position is always updated on the map :)
- just to clear I don't think you'll need a blocker for the 3d cluster.

You need the blocker on the mib2 imo... But I'm no expert on these blockers.  :fighting2:

About the facia I really think you should be careful with the way you're going to cut this. When I cutted down the part from the scirocco the frame felt a bit thicker round the navi unit and didn't look right. - That's why I did it the way like I marked with red on the picture above :)
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
I think the problem is either.....

newer (long code) abs pump needed
Adapter loom incorrect (as rns510 works fine)
     Although I will need adapter with CP blocker for 3d clocks
Possibly faulty radio......

only things left that it can be..... :(

With facscia.....I don't think I can cut both panels neatly enough and inlay one into other.
I think horizontal line, each side of radio is a neater option for me :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:24:09 am by ady-uk »
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
What is the software you have in 3D cluster? So far all 3D clusters I know manage CP therefore you need CAN filter. They are indeed expensive - 125 EUR.

Nav issue is indeed caused by ABS pump - we have identified missing one frame in older ABS pump CAN protocol that causes this issue. We are working on solution - I will let you know when it's ready.

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
I have two sets of clocks, I can swap between

3D COLOUR CLUSTER - PREFER BUT NEEDS CP FILTER
Address 17: Instruments (J285)       Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb
   Part No SW: 5K7 920 881 G    HW: 5K7 920 881 G
   Component: KOMBI         H03 0705 

2D COLOUR CLUSTER - WORKING WITH RADIO
Address 17: Instruments (J285)       Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb
   Part No SW: 1K8 920 984 D    HW: 1K8 920 984 D
   Component: KOMBI         H04 0609

Obviously prefer to use 3d clocks but need to sort sat nav issue out before spending money on something not working.....
Also if you fix ABS pump issue, with additional module ..... will it be removable, if I upgrade to newer car :)

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
I can confirm ABS swap solves the problem. The issue lies in a way ABS module reports the way that is driven - in older units there is one frame only with average information, in newer there are separate frames for each wheel. DM requires second (more modern) solution to work properly otherwise it refreshes position periodically instead of constantly.

Solution we work on is add-on module that can be easily moved between cars. So far we have managed to have position constantly updated when driving straight but we are still facing some issues when driving in curves.

I will keep you updated.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
I can confirm ABS swap solves the problem.

You should of mention that to the people before you sold that units. Not after and trying to convince buyer that all works fine fella.

Thanks
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
It's not possible to test unit in every car. Why are you complaining? As you can see I warn users in time. So far we had only one customer who complained and as far as we were warned about the problem we started to work on solution.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
One not working unit is enough. Specially when you and your team mate said it will defo work. But its not. In fact - it not working in ALL range of MK5s. Doesn't matter 2004 or 2008.  Thats why I complain.

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Exactly - one is enough. If this is you who was unlucky to buy it maybe you could return to us the second motherboard we sent you?

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
Yes it was me.
Ive already told your friend - its your fault so i cant see the reason why i should pay for postage. Also, when you will resolve this problem because for last 2 months you didn't even admit there is any. Only recently. And even then you didn't contacted me about solution or what so ever.

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
It may be that we don't resolve it. We are doing our best but I cannot promise. If you are not satisfied you may return the unit and motherhood at our cost. Upon receipt we will refund the costs.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
I already had a chat with your team mate. He said nope

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
I believe it was before we made our investigation. I will switch now to PM and then we will update this thread when the case is closed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:11:56 am by pab567 »