Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf  (Read 114497 times)

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »
My car :D

You need adapter wiring harness which is supplied with radio.
Depending on age of your car, it's not always straight forward, I had to upgrade other things too.

Hi guys
Last Saturday I  successfully retrofitted Discover Media unit into Ady's 2005 Golf MK5. Some of you probably see it already but there are the pics:

Unfortunately we didnt have time to play with it yet and just fitted it to see how it goes. All will be finished this Saturday so more pics to follow. All works fine on White or Colour clocks so far.

Regards

Newbie here so sorry if this doesn’t read right.

How did you manage to plug the harness into the media unit as noticed that the blink connectors are slightly different. I’ve been trying to find an adapter but not luck. Is there one that you used that you could link me too please?

Many thanks
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
sorry to dig this thread up again - was wondering if this unit would fit in a MK6? or does it have the same issues as the mk5? mines a 2009 GTD

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Should be fine in a mk6
Still need one with cp disabled and other bits enabled, before you buy.

Usual disclaimer, if it doesn't work, don't have a go at me!  :party:
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline damfos

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi Guys,
New here so go easy!
I am currently doing an install with one of these discover mib2 media units on a 2005 Vw Transporter which unfortunately doesn't have the luxury of upgrading the can gateway as Golfs as it's in the dash cluster, it ran an RNS510 perfectly but have noticed the map,navigation issue as described in this forum. I saw that a few of you have successfully installed these with the early Mk5's
If you don't mind me asking what was the conclusion with regards the lacking speed signals for the nav to work correctly? pab567 was working on a bolt on module solution, I am unable to find anything further to assist including the T5 forums?
Many Thanks

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Just adding to this thread because it appears to be the main/only one on this forum discussing Discover Media retrofitting.

In the last 18 months this became a whole lot easier, as rather than the original hardware modification and CAN blocker to DISABLE Component Protection (that could potentially get re-enabled) they have now developed a Software mod that completely REMOVES Component Protection.

It means that for some Mk5 owners and most Mk6 owners, these can be plug and play with just a £10 Quadlock adapter (with supported ABS controller and CAN gateway).

I fitted mine yesterday, and posted here
https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30806.msg1148479.html#msg1148479

But I’ll do a brand new post with lots more details of requirements and suppliers and link it here to help future owners.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:34:59 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
I'd be really interested in your dedicated post on this upgrade as it's something I'd like to undertake to refresh my 06 GTI.

If you get chance could you cover, part numbers, coding issues, purchase price\location?

Thanks in advance.

Just adding to this thread because it appears to be the main/only one on this forum discussing Discover Media retrofitting.

In the last 18 months this became a whole lot easier, as rather than the original hardware modification and CAN blocker to DISABLE Component Protection (that could potentially get re-enabled) they have now developed a Software mod that completely REMOVES Component Protection.

It means that for some Mk5 owners and most Mk6 owners, these can be plug and play with just a £10 Quadlock adapter (with supported ABS controller and CAN gateway).

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30806.msg1148479.html#msg1148479

But I’ll do a brand new post with lots more details of requirements and suppliers and link it here to help future owners.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
@holepunch OK, I’ll try and get a post put up this week and link it from here.

I’m loving the Discover Media… Apple CarPlay (bringing Siri activated from steering wheel, Google maps and superior iPhone integration), the Radio logos, the speed of the interface, the album art… all a massive step up from an RNS 510 and is my favourite retrofit by far.

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2021, 05:34:45 pm »
There is something new about the navigation issue?

Offline DrG_GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2021, 06:43:19 am »
Any news on a dedicated post @Stupots

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:33 am »
Ah, my apologies, I’ll dig through some pics and knock something up. 👍

Offline DrG_GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2021, 10:06:18 am »
Ah, my apologies, I’ll dig through some pics and knock something up.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Offline CraigP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2

Did you ever do a new post for this mate..? I know this is old now but hoping someone knows more about this retro fit….

Offline Senna

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email

Did you ever do a new post for this mate..? I know this is old now but hoping someone knows more about this retro fit….
Have you looked at this option.

ZAR 8,115.24  20% Off | MIB 5C0035200D Carplay Car Radio Android Auto 6.5" Touch Screen Headunit with CD SD for VW Passat B5 B6 Golf 5 6 Polo CC Tiguan
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vmpiSH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk