Make a donation

Author Topic: Polo 1.0 SE Review  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Phil_H

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Polo 1.0 SE Review
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:17 pm »
I have a Polo courtesy car at the mo while the GTI has a DSG Service and Coil packs.

Anyway, handed me the keys and paperwork with "64" Reg'd TSI SE Bluemotion, I was quite keen to see what these little TSI engines were like.

Got home most disappointed in the performance and all round drive, my Wife asked me what it was like to drive as it "look's cool"....I described it as being like my old A Reg 1.1 Fiesta, and I wasn't far from the truth!

Turns out its the 1.0 UP 3 Cylinder 59bhp engine, 0-60 16.5secs!!! That'll explain why I struggled to get out a busy junction and get up to speed! I'd go as far as saying it's dangerously underpowered. Suspension was awful, and I don't mean just because it felt like it was going to fall over on every corner, it was really harsh as well around the back roads, felt every bump. Gearbox was sloppy and clutch also harsh. Seats were solid, flat and everything seemed a bit plasticky.

Only nice bit was the Touch Screen Stereo :)

Oh...and it's not cost me anything I know, so I should be grateful  :)

I just think i'd be very disappointed if I'd spent 13k on one!

I think i'll leave it on the driveway and use the Wife's Mini :)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Polo 1.0 SE Review
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:10:39 pm »
I had a 1.2 Polo as a courtesy car whilst my GTI was having the wings replaced by VW.

The ride quality isnt great at all, very crashy  :sick:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline cooljimy84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 18
    • Personal
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:21 pm »
I found my 1.2 Fox to be dangerous.... not only did it feel like i was going to fall out of my seat in EVERY corner, but it was unable to do more than one thing at a time.
turning worked.
acceleration worked.
braking worked.
However when you tried to combine any of them, it failed, turning and braking even a little sent the car skidding straight ahead.

Now it could just be the tires, but looks like a trend to me...
There is no replacement for displacement....
But a turbo does help....

Offline Phil_H

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:54:22 pm »
Certainly didn't seem comfortable doing anything other than sat idling nice and quietly :)

I have the GTI back now, so all is good....until the 9th of March when it's going in to have the Belt and Water pump done, I've hinted something a little bigger would be better next time (politely hinted anyway haha)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »
second this!

Had a polo and Up a few times and the 1.0/1.2 3 cylinder is woeful! My first car, a 1.0 3 cylinder corsa was much more capable due to it probably weighing 200kg less!

VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Hunzeracol

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:45:03 am »
I do not think there is anything special about this.

willni

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:01:24 pm »
To defend the polo as I have the 1.4 85bhp version. It is a courtesy car and as we all know they get raked by everyone so could explain the gearbox, and I've actually said and would still do my polo is comfier than my mk5 golf, but there's definately a difference is build quality between the two the golf is far better built.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »
0-60 in 16.5 seconds! Whoa, steady on!  Some of the slower book figures surprise me actually.  I rented a boggo 1.6 Astra once and it 'felt' a lot faster than the 12 second book speed suggested.

Speaking of Polos.....there's always a new shape one glued to my bumper these days, usually driven by angry looking young men trying to prove a Polo is just as quick, if not quicker than a Golf.  Makes me chuckle.  I had to put a Polo GTI driver in his place the other day when his ridiculous tailgating at 80mph was getting dangerous.  Sorry Polo boy, but you're no match for a remapped Eddy.  Try again when you've fed your engine some more minerals.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »
0-60 in 16.5 seconds! Whoa, steady on!  Some of the slower book figures surprise me actually.  I rented a boggo 1.6 Astra once and it 'felt' a lot faster than the 12 second book speed suggested.

Speaking of Polos.....there's always a new shape one glued to my bumper these days, usually driven by angry looking young men trying to prove a Polo is just as quick, if not quicker than a Golf.  Makes me chuckle.  I had to put a Polo GTI driver in his place the other day when his ridiculous tailgating at 70mph was getting dangerous.  Sorry Polo boy, but you're no match for a remapped Eddy.  Try again when you've fed your engine some more minerals.

FTFY  :wink: