Make a donation

Author Topic: Depo Projector Style Headlights  (Read 39431 times)

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93533.msg937034.html#msg937034
Depo Projector Style Headlights
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:35:34 am »
Hi guys,

I've been looking into changing my headlights to projectors for some time now, and came across various threads along my way. It's left me with a few questions to ask.

First of all, what are projector headlights? How do they differ from normal halogen headlights? :ashamed:

Secondly, are the Depo headlights actual projectors, so having a HID kit in them is safe and legal?

Thirdly, am I right in thinking that in order to have genuine VW Bi-Xenon Projectors legally, you need headlight washers? Why is this the case, and not for the Depo's?

Finally, what is the difference between genuine projectors and the Depo ones, and the Depo ones and Hella ones?

Thank you! :laugh:

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Re: Depo Projector Style Headlights
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:45:21 am »
Hi guys,

I've been looking into changing my headlights to projectors for some time now, and came across various threads along my way. It's left me with a few questions to ask.

First of all, what are projector headlights? How do they differ from normal halogen headlights? :ashamed:

Secondly, are the Depo headlights actual projectors, so having a HID kit in them is safe and legal?

Thirdly, am I right in thinking that in order to have genuine VW Bi-Xenon Projectors legally, you need headlight washers? Why is this the case, and not for the Depo's?

Finally, what is the difference between genuine projectors and the Depo ones, and the Depo ones and Hella ones?

Thank you! :laugh:

Hi Mate

1.Projector headlights project the light beam whereas reflector headlights reflect the beam (i think)
2. Depo ones are projectors, Yes using a HID kit in them is legal
3. Not sure, A few people have retrofit them but not done washers and had no issues
4. Genuine projectors have shutters so when you flash to pass, the shutter opens fully which is also used for full beam. (Providing you have a highline CECM and run a wire from the lights to the CECM) also the genuine ones are self leveling (If you have the sensors fitted) and the Depo ones are manually levelling using the headlight scrolling adjuster

Offline tom89

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:06:53 am »
From what I know;

"Genuine Projectors" would have to be OEM Xenon lights, need an adaptor to connect them the MKV GTI fitted with halogen reflector lights along with ballasts etc.

"Hella Projectors" (I have them in mine) are deemed to be OEM? That's what mine were advertised as by the seller in Germany. They must have been standard equipment on a particular MKV variant. These have Halogen bulbs fitted in the housing which then shines through a projector lens, the look identical to OEM Xenon lights from outside. An aftermarket Xenon/HID kit is able to be fitted to these lights.

The "Depo" ones are very much the same as the Hella type I believe but are just not OEM quality.

The washers don't need to be fitted for the lights to work but it may not be legal? It is technically illegal here in Australia but I've never heard of someone getting picked up for it.
08 MKV GTI 3dr Manual K04

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93533.msg937034.html#msg937034
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:42:58 pm »
Thank you both for the info, that cleared that all up nicely!
Now the question is whether to get the Depo or the Hella lights? I've struggled to source the Hella ones.. but have found the Depo ones for £199!

Also, what HID kit is best suited? 6000K? Want s nice white light, but nothing blue :smiley:

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »
Think OEM are usually 4750k or something like that, not just as bluey as 6000k.

Offline TomGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • PIRELLI EDITION
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »
Standard xenons are 4300k I have 5000k in my depo projectors and they are perfectly white I'm very pleased not blue at all
GTI Pirelli - Reflex Silver - 5dr - 58 - B12 Sportline kit!

Sold ~ GTI - Mk5 - Pearl Black -  Bluefin - 3dr - 08

Offline D_Philli_82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »
I have depos with 4300k hids. Nice white light. Light output is good...no complaints

MK5 1.9TDI 150Bhp

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »
I'll probably go with 5000K then :happy2:

Does anyone know where currently sell the Hella projectors? They're literally impossible to come across :signLOL:

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline kr15h_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »
do HID's need to be coded in via vagcom???? im looking to get depo's and hids shortly

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »
it should be set to Xenons without shutter installed. Theres something to do with a grounding issue with the wiper motor linking to the headlight

Offline D_Philli_82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 02:20:50 pm »
it should be set to Xenons without shutter installed. Theres something to do with a grounding issue with the wiper motor linking to the headlight

Correct

MK5 1.9TDI 150Bhp

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »
Anyone know where to get the Hella projectors from?

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »
The guy on this post http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65744.0.html got them for 342 euros which is £250 :confused:

Instagram @george_kersh