Make a donation

Author Topic: BSH Engine Mounts Review Update 2/12/09 page 3  (Read 50906 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: BSH Engine Mounts Review
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 11:00:35 am »
Well the marriage is over.  I have taken the day off work to remove the mounts.

Please think back (or read back) and remember my reason for fitting.  It was to remove the inherent transmission slop in the VW system.

Did it work?  Very wholeheartedly – Yes!  But, and there is a but................

I could not live with the noise.  The majority of the time the mounts are very quiet, as the engine is cruising at a steady speed, however when pressing on, the Grrrr sound, feted by many, was something I could not live with.

I will live with the lesser of the 2 evils, that being transmission slop.  I can live with that. :sad1:  The Golf Gti to me is about excitement with some refinement, think back to the VW ads, with the car arriving at an exclusive venue with little fuss.  That is the Golf for me, not one with a mighty subjective Grrrrr sound.

The mounts are an absolute work of art, and I think are very comparable in Grrrrr sound to the VW racing ones (I had that car for over week earlier this year, so I feel qualified to comment on the comparison), however in aesthetics the VWR variant cannot touch the BSH.

Just a pity that they are too noisy for me................

Great shame, I would like to thank Ben at Dubtek and BSH for their assistance.  My original review stands; they are a fantastic product, manufactured very very well, and for the price.................... Pity about the Grrrr not being suited to me.

Please don’t think they drown everything out, they do not, they are just noisier that I wanted, I had hoped they would settle, however I cant wait for that to happen.

I will be passing on the mounts so someone else, who wants the Grrrrrr, included will be my patented Charcoal can fix.

:happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: BSH Engine Mounts Review Update 2/12/09 page 3
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 11:23:03 am »
 :surprised:

sounds like just the lower VWR mount then would be for you stoke ?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:36 am »
i have that fitted already John.  It does a fantastic job of taking up the slop, however if that is taut, then it will act as a pivot, and pass on the slop to the next weakest point.  The upper mounts.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:44 am »
Can you not do a JonnyC and fill the OEM mounts with resin, to replace the oil? I think that'd be a halfway house.
Sideways yo!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 11:32:20 am »
crikey mustve been bad then. I have the VWR lower too and my next step is these  :surprised:
comparing just

1.VWR mount
2. VWR + side mounts

whats the relative increase in noise/vibration?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:09 am »
Can you not do a JonnyC and fill the OEM mounts with resin, to replace the oil? I think that'd be a halfway house.

I have thought about that.  I think the first stop may be my friendly Stealer.............. If not then I may just puncture the oilbag and fill with a more viscous medium.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 11:38:44 am »
crikey mustve been bad then. I have the VWR lower too and my next step is these  :surprised:
comparing just

1.VWR mount
2. VWR + side mounts

whats the relative increase in noise/vibration?

it is not bad John, just some choose to obtain the added noises, I personally can put up with some of that, but not to the level the BSH/VWR mounts give.

As i said, it is not bad, just too much for me, the car is definitely tauter and more direct with the mounts fitted, just too much added  for me.  The VWR car was the same, I had hoped that the BSH would have been a half way house as Mike put it.

Ps I hate frosties too!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:08 am »

I have thought about that.  I think the first stop may be my friendly Stealer.............. If not then I may just puncture the oilbag and fill with a more viscous medium.

There'll be a way of getting a compromise.

I used to run a poly dogbone in summer and R32 in winter on my old PD150, as the cold weather made the poly unbearable... so I feel your pain.
Sideways yo!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

There'll be a way of getting a compromise.

I used to run a poly dogbone in summer and R32 in winter on my old PD150, as the cold weather made the poly unbearable... so I feel your pain.

I think to inject with a silicone based resin would be the answer.  I will have a look at this in the coming weeks, If the stealer cant do anything for me.

Even to slit, and inject silicaset would be better than the full on mounts.

Hmmmmm thinking now!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:52 pm »

Interesting. And also proving that there's no right or wrong in such choices - We all have our differing individual preferences and anything sound related is always extremely subjective.

For those unsure about the Grrrr aspect, it's like exhausts, you have to hear them to be able to decide what suits you. I think that if there's no Grrrr at all, then the engine mount is possibly limited in the amount of anti-slop etc it's benefitting you.

The 'slop' on oem Mk5 GTI's isn't so bad anyway - It depends how hard you want to drive.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »
The 'slop' on oem Mk5 GTI's isn't so bad anyway - It depends how hard you want to drive.

blatantly wrong RR I'm afraid, the slop can vary from mild to horrendous depending on the age and how a cars been driven.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »

blatantly wrong RR I'm afraid, the slop can vary from mild to horrendous depending on the age and how a cars been driven.

x2  The slop on mine is particularly bad.  In your VWR review you mention there being Too much movement................

:confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »
^^^^

Yes, there is a surprising amount of engine movement with oem engine mounts - We know it's the compromise in giving the average driver and their passengers cabin comfort and minimum mechanical noise. Whether this is too much movement is for the individual to decide and it's possibly more tolerated in an unmodified car. Deterioration through age is parallel but a different issue. When jumping into a standard unmodified GTI/Ed30 you don't think: My goodness! This car is sloppy.

Dave, in my review I wasn't meaning to say that oem engine mounts were generally unacceptable. Perhaps I should revisit my review and edit it if my words are ambiguous.

I'm surprised that the slop is bad on an Ed30 as the oldest ones are still quite 'young' and also IIRC, Dave, you don't do a big mileage. You'd expect SteveP's to get very sloppy sooner due perhaps to such a high mileage.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
When jumping into a standard unmodified GTI/Ed30 you don't think: My goodness! This car is sloppy.

whilst not wishing to labour the point or spoil stokes thread.

I did think exactly that ! and complained to the dealer a few days after I picked the car up (from new) as it also exagerated the poor clutch bite/groan  feel I have when taking up drive.
they stated they were 'within tolerances'
I would have to have escalated further with VW but didnt as i felt it was a waste of my time.  (and just fitted OE mounts again anyway!)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »
When jumping into a standard unmodified GTI/Ed30 you don't think: My goodness! This car is sloppy.

whilst not wishing to labour the point or spoil stokes thread.

I did think exactly that ! and complained to the dealer a few days after I picked the car up (from new) as it also exagerated the poor clutch bite/groan  feel I have when taking up drive.
they stated they were 'within tolerances'
I would have to have escalated further with VW but didnt as i felt it was a waste of my time.  (and just fitted OE mounts again anyway!)

Thanks John,  I agree and I have re-engaged with the dealer in an effort to sort this out.