Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk6 Golf R!  (Read 39302 times)

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: Golf 6R
Re: My Mk6 Golf R!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »
Had the "fun" job of fitting the RS4 return valve this weekend. Nothing that a pair of Halfords finest 'custom range' spanners and quick call to @vRSAlex mid-job couldn't sort though.

R-tech powered Mk6 Golf R
** Mk5 GTI Track build: >>Here<< **

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »
Jeez - that looks brutal! Not sure I would attempt this at home - have only ever heard it is a sod of a job to fit the RS4 valve. Nice work fitting it yourself!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »
Jeez - that looks brutal! Not sure I would attempt this at home - have only ever heard it is a sod of a job to fit the RS4 valve. Nice work fitting it yourself!

Cheers, not the most fun job in the world! Had a mate give me a hand who's quite handy with an angle grinder  :grin:

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
Small update yesterday, R8 coilpacks fitted and plugs changed. Fingers crossed should have quite a big bit here just in time tomorrow  :grin:

Offline jonvr6

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »
Like the mk6 nice motor

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 10:15:59 am »
Great looking car.  Good job doing the RS4 valve in situ.  Did the RS4 valve on mine with the engine out and it was still a PITA  :grin: 

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 02:18:04 pm »
Great looking car.  Good job doing the RS4 valve in situ.  Did the RS4 valve on mine with the engine out and it was still a PITA  :grin:

Once we figured the best way to get the old one out, the new one went in a little easier but still never want to do that job again!

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »
Been quite hectic week on the Golf but made a big step forward, which didn't look like it was going to happen at one point! It's now running at Stage 2+  :jumping:

As some may know I put in an order on the BCS group buy for a Powervalve exhaust which was unfortunately delayed by a few weeks due to problems with their supply of valves. Would like to say thanks to @nige bcs for doing his best to process my order as fast as possible, the system got to me literally just in the nick of time.

Got a call at midday Wednesday to say the system was all finished and luckily my dad was passing so picked it up at about 4pm. When I finished work I went straight over to my mates unit and we started taking the old system off at 5.30pm. Within 3 minutes of the last downpipe bolt being removed, my dad turned up and we got cracking fitting the Powervalve system at 8pm. By the time we finished fitting it, done the valve plumbing and changed the oil the clock had ticked midnight but it still needed testing. Que a few high speed runs in the early hours of Thursday morning down the bypass:  :evilgrin:

After a few hours sleep it was time to get up and make the trip up to R-Tech for Niki to work his magic at midday Thursday:

And the results were in: 362hp and 382ft/lb. Niki said it still had a bit more to go but clutch couldn't take it, the difference is night and day though! The car pulls much harder and you can really feel the linear map as you go through the gears. Flat-shift is nice too!

So thats going to be it for a while, clutch and a few little bits will be next.

James
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:57:32 pm by joms6r »

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:00 am »
Looking good  :happy2: haven't seen many in black personally. So now with the exhaust on how does that compare to that lovely inline 5 from the rs? How do they compare driving wise or fun factor?

Sorry for the questions I'm just torn between the mk6 r or mk2 focus rs, like them both for different reasons :happy2:

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »
Looking good  :happy2: haven't seen many in black personally. So now with the exhaust on how does that compare to that lovely inline 5 from the rs? How do they compare driving wise or fun factor?

Sorry for the questions I'm just torn between the mk6 r or mk2 focus rs, like them both for different reasons :happy2:

Cheers! The noise is 10 times better now the exhaust is on, sounds almost like a jet when on boost! In terms of noise, the 5 pot is always going to be on top, although the Golf is much closer with the exhaust now on than I thought it would be. Fun factor is more difficult, the Golf is much more planted with the 4wd, coming off roundabouts planting it in second it just grips where the RS would be spinning up heading towards the barrier. (Mine was Stage 1 with some Michelin SS's on). At the min I prefer the gearbox in the RS, first and second seem longer than the Golf and lift off oversteer is much more fun and predictable.

HTH

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 10:35:43 pm »
Thanks for that  :happy2: they both have pros n cons it's so hard for me to decide, think I need to get behind the wheel of them maybes more so the focus. Love the presents and attitude of the rs and especially as I've never had a 'loud' car.

Il be keeping a eye on your build

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
Thanks for that  :happy2: they both have pros n cons it's so hard for me to decide, think I need to get behind the wheel of them maybes more so the focus. Love the presents and attitude of the rs and especially as I've never had a 'loud' car.

Il be keeping a eye on your build

If you can I'd recommend test driving both, you'll get the best comparison then.

Offline m1k3ydu8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Steel Grey MK5 R32
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »
Beautiful  :drool:. Might have to trade my R32 for a MK6 R one day.

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 03:15:15 am »
Really nice motor...I have exactly the same! hahaha

not many people have chosen the black on black combo. I considered wrapping my car blue to change it up abit, but seeing yours makes me like mine again.

nice car. *subscribed*

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 11:53:31 am »
Beautiful  :drool:. Might have to trade my R32 for a MK6 R one day.

Cheers mate  :happy2:

Really nice motor...I have exactly the same! hahaha

not many people have chosen the black on black combo. I considered wrapping my car blue to change it up abit, but seeing yours makes me like mine again.

nice car. *subscribed*

Cheers mate! This is the second car i've had black on black, love the murdered out look lol. Thinking about changing the wheels later in the year but can't decide on colour though!