Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk6 Golf R!  (Read 39295 times)

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: My Mk6 Golf R!
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
I was in the same boat...I was considering the Neuspeed RS's but like the OEM look too much.

Offline Joshap1

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:04 pm »
Absolutely love the R's so subtle still

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: Golf 6R
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:56 pm »
I was in the same boat...I was considering the Neuspeed RS's but like the OEM look too much.

Just had a look on their website, quite like the look of the RSe10's. Know of any UK distributors?

Absolutely love the R's so subtle still

Cheers, does surprise a few people when you go past them!
R-tech powered Mk6 Golf R
** Mk5 GTI Track build: >>Here<< **

Redemption

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 06:15:08 pm »
Just had a look on their website, quite like the look of the RSe10's. Know of any UK distributors?

www.awesomegti.com/brand/neuspeed/f/subpart/Wheels

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:15 pm »
There is a mk6 golf r APR stage 3 at awesome currently that has those alloys.

Those are the ones I like out of all of the ones I've seen..but reminds me too much of my edition 30 that got stollen....and thats a really sore subject still...after 18 months!

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 03:16:12 pm »
Took the car down to Alex's last week to get the clutch changed as the standard one was slipping now it has been mapped. All sorted within a day, dropped off Friday afternoon and picked up Saturday afternoon. Went for a Helix Organic one as although its not a daily driver, I still wanted a reasonable pedal feel and should handle the power ok. Have been running it in over the last few days and so far so good, pretty much used to it now. Can feel the difference a new flywheel makes too even though the old one was still within VW spec.

Few pics from AKS facebook:

Next of the agenda is brakes, not sure whether to go TTRS or 8 pots? Want to get a few track days and a ring trip in later on in the year and wondering if 8 pots will have too much front bias without upgrading the rears as well. And if they will clear 18" wheels?

James

Offline jhook661

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98678.0.html
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »
Took the car down to Alex's last week to get the clutch changed as the standard one was slipping now it has been mapped. All sorted within a day, dropped off Friday afternoon and picked up Saturday afternoon. Went for a Helix Organic one as although its not a daily driver, I still wanted a reasonable pedal feel and should handle the power ok. Have been running it in over the last few days and so far so good, pretty much used to it now. Can feel the difference a new flywheel makes too even though the old one was still within VW spec.

Few pics from AKS facebook:

Next of the agenda is brakes, not sure whether to go TTRS or 8 pots? Want to get a few track days and a ring trip in later on in the year and wondering if 8 pots will have too much front bias without upgrading the rears as well. And if they will clear 18" wheels?

James

Joms6r how's the clutch I'm going to stage 2+ soon and I want a helix clutch any good ?
Modded Golf gti CDL engine TTE420 turbo
Rtech 440bhp 429ftlb

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 04:57:10 pm »

Joms6r how's the clutch I'm going to stage 2+ soon and I want a helix clutch any good ?

I'm still running it in at the min so taking it fairly easy. The pedal is firmer that standard but still usable, I drive a transit daily so doesn't really bother me and pretty much used to it now already. The engagement of the clutch does feel a lot better and less sloppy than the old one, I'm guessing the new flywheel is helping that a lot. Would recommend it so far  :happy2:

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2015, 12:30:42 am »
Couple of updates from me this evening. Firstly went to GTI International last week for the first time as a VW owner. Went last year before I brought the golf, probably part of the reason as to why I ended up buying it lol. Was good to have a few runs down the strip I managed a 13.2 before a mate had a couple of runs and knocked another 10th off embarrassingly. Met a few people for the first time, was good to have a quick chat with @Hurdy while they were sorting an oil spill on track (Helped with the second part of this post). Cant wait to get back to Pod and have a few more runs, hopefully on a cooler day and with a car thats not full of stuff in the boot as well. Sure there's a 12 in the car.

Pic after a days racing

Now onto the next stage of mods, brakes. Was initially going to go a set of TTRS calipers as i'm sure these would be more than up to the job, however came across a set of 8 pots at a decent price. Always deepdown wanted a set of 8 pots even though I knew they were complete overkill and will probably need an uprated master cylinder I snapped them up. So just need to complete the puzzle now and pick some DaveB 362mm disc's and brackets up from Alex, as well as possibly a colour change for the calipers. Thanks to Hurdy for the info, will also probably upgrade the rear disc's as well to help the brake balance.

Brake p0rn  :laugh:

James
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:33:16 am by joms6r »

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:24 am »
I very nearly went for 8 piston R8 brakes myself! But I've decided to use the Porsche Cayenne 6 piston with 350mm single piece discs to keep costs down. I'm also looking into converting the rears to run 4 piston Porsche Cayenne brakes too, found an adaptor bracket from Creation Motorsport that allows you to retain the OE disc, use the OE caliper as the handbrake and fit a 4 piston caliper for the main braking:

http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/product-detail.php?pid=667

The calipers on eBay are about £120-150 for a decent enough used set, if you get them and send them off for a refurbishment at the same time as your R8 front calipers you'll possibly be able to ask for a discount (a group deal sort of thing). I asked Brake Caliper Refurbs and they'd offer me a 10% discount if I bundled all my calipers into one package.

I'm still researching it but think I'm pretty much here with a whole system overhaul. The other reason I've opted for the Porsche set up is there's no need to change the master cylinder, although I may do that as well if I'm draining the whole braking system, not too hard a job I believe. Again, I'll share any info I find if you want it, I'll probably write this all up as a how-to guide and/or product review.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »
I very nearly went for 8 piston R8 brakes myself! But I've decided to use the Porsche Cayenne 6 piston with 350mm single piece discs to keep costs down. I'm also looking into converting the rears to run 4 piston Porsche Cayenne brakes too, found an adaptor bracket from Creation Motorsport that allows you to retain the OE disc, use the OE caliper as the handbrake and fit a 4 piston caliper for the main braking:

http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/product-detail.php?pid=667

The calipers on eBay are about £120-150 for a decent enough used set, if you get them and send them off for a refurbishment at the same time as your R8 front calipers you'll possibly be able to ask for a discount (a group deal sort of thing). I asked Brake Caliper Refurbs and they'd offer me a 10% discount if I bundled all my calipers into one package.

I'm still researching it but think I'm pretty much here with a whole system overhaul. The other reason I've opted for the Porsche set up is there's no need to change the master cylinder, although I may do that as well if I'm draining the whole braking system, not too hard a job I believe. Again, I'll share any info I find if you want it, I'll probably write this all up as a how-to guide and/or product review.

Thanks for the info, definitely going to have a look into that! Was talking to a mate about changing the rear calipers but the hand brake put me off, although that looks a fairly simple solution. I've got a mate locally who can do the refurbing so thats not much of an issue, makes sense the get the rears done at the same time. Very interested in any updates, i'll keep an eye on your build thread.

Cheers, James.

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 05:05:16 pm »
Speaking to a few people, the Creation Motorsport parts aren't great quality it seems so I'm back to the drawing board. Also, by the sounds of it the fronts need a good sized spacer to clear the wheels so it may be a case of looking more closely at the Audi RS4 330mm rear brake set up and going with my original plan of a Revo front brake kit. From what I've seen the Revo brake kits fit behind most alloys with just a 5mm spacer, none needed for TD Pro Race 1.2's which is what I planned on using anyway.

I'll do yet more internet surfing and keep you updated. I don't plan on doing a build thread as that leads to things getting out of hand. Then again, I wasn't going to modify my Golf R at all, that lasted about a month!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2015, 11:31:11 pm »
Thought it's about time to update this now the brakes are on:

Full spec as follows:
Lamborghini/RS4/R8 8 pot Brembo calipers painted in Arancio Borealis.
AKS supplied DaveB kit with 362mm floating AP discs, custom lines and carriers.
Pagid RS4-2 blue pads
H&R hubsentric spacer on standard 19" wheel

Initially hoped I could get away with a 5mm spacer but had an emergency trip to Alex's mid job to swap for an 8mm one as it was just too tight.

Was planning to upgrade to a TTRS master cylinder but I'll see how it goes with the standard one after they've fully bedded in, doesn't feel to bad at the min. Still using the standard rear setup too but was speaking to @hurdy at inters about using stock calipers with bigger discs.

Loving them already, can't wait to start pushing them once the pads and discs have fully bedded in  :jumping:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 06:43:25 am »
They look menacing!  :happy2:
Love how good the orange caliper goes in contrast with the wheels.

Offline grchmason

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »
Stunning  :notworthy: Really enjoyed reading through  :drinking: