Make a donation

Author Topic: Overheating on track  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Overheating on track
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:22 pm »
That would make sense as it blocks a lot of the airflow.
Wi also cool better with a ths one alone i imagine.  Stock ic is restriction, twintercooler on stock ic will just add lag.

Really?  Where's the evidence to prove that?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mu29su67l6kr3io5nhlkqlukj2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:57:11 am »
Wi also cool better with a ths one alone i imagine.  Stock ic is restriction, twintercooler on stock ic will just add lag.

Increasing the volume of the IC system too much. It's physics is it not?

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:33 am »
Adding the THS IC and removing the AC compressor decreased lag a lot for me from S3 + Forge + AC on. However, that was to be expected. Can't remember exactly if, when I jumped from OEM IC to S3 and then S3 + Forge, I felt any lag increase but if it was there, it was barely noticeable !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:04 am »

Oh its you again.......
Youre adding extra pipework and in effect restrictions.  You dont need twin coolers. One good one is enough.

Offline bricksnmortar

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 01:49:44 pm »
I appreciate your continuing to focus on this problem with me.

I feel fortunate to have made the acquaintance of the VW engineer about whom I spoke in a previous message, who confirmed my assessment of the oil starvation problem. He, as I mentioned, said that he believed the problem was probably oil cavitation and the associated compromise of the pickup. The Wortec oil pan is the only option I've found to address that problem. However, it really only has a single, feeble little fence to try to capture the oil supply--no real additional baffling to limit the cavitation in the pan. Perhaps the additional oil volume will help. Maybe the finned, aluminum construction will dissipate some heat. Very iffy.

I don't know that we've changed the tertiary thermostats. Must confess that I didn't know about them. I'll have my mechanic do so when he installs the oil pan. (Even as an old fart, I'm a reasonably quick driver and--I'll boast--a good instructor but have always been a piss-poor mechanic.)

Would also like to replace the stock radiator with the Forge unit but can't handle the tariff at the moment.

As you can tell, all very frustrating.

@btowery so what happened with this? Did you resolve the issue with the baffle? With thermostats? With radiator changes?