Make a donation

Author Topic: Air leak issue possibly fixed... REV HANG  (Read 4750 times)

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Air leak issue possibly fixed... REV HANG
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:21 pm »
Ok, so my car has had an issue recently, the symptoms of which are:

-When coming to a stop and depressing the clutch the revs dont drop to idle, instead they stick at around 1500rpm
-Engine management light, code P0171

I have since checked hoses for leaks and the PCV valve to ensure it is working, during my inspection i found the oil filler neck to be lose, to the point i actually pulled it off with ease. The neck was reattached by me after refitting my standard airbox from a p-flo. I used high temperature glue but obviously it was not good enough.

Could this of caused the issues? How can i refit the neck?

Also i had some oil around a bolt in the valve cover, i checked the tightness of these bolts and all of them were loose. How tight should these be?

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:45:02 pm by jakex181 »

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nh92j1duhtf9igo9rsjuqne1o7&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Re: Air leak issue POSSIBLY FIXED
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:59:16 pm »
Ok, so my car has had an issue recently, the symptoms of which are:

-When coming to a stop and depressing the clutch the revs dont drop to idle, instead they stick at around 1500rpm
-Engine management light, code P0171

I have since checked hoses for leaks and the PCV valve to ensure it is working, during my inspection i found the oil filler neck to be lose, to the point i actually pulled it off with ease. The neck was reattached by me after refitting my standard airbox from a p-flo. I used high temperature glue but obviously it was not good enough.

Could this of caused the issues? How can i refit the neck?

Also i had some oil around a bolt in the valve cover, i checked the tightness of these bolts and all of them were loose. How tight should these be?

Cheers
They should be 10nm. Do not tighten them when hot. I recently had a my rocker cover leaking. Although the bolts were torqued to 10nm they were really loose when hot the rubber was perished. I replaced most of them and the leak stopped.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:22 pm »
cheers mate, tightened them up, ill keep an eye on it.

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:44:15 pm »
So I still have a problem, parked up this evening, pressed the clutch in and the revs stuck at around 1500rpm before dropping down, it also seems that during normal driving the revs return to idle much slower that they used to. I've done a quick bit of research and seen people mention rev hang can be caused by the clutch switch, could this be my issue?

The main time it happens is when I go from reverse to 1st gear, although it has done it once at a junction :/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:53:37 pm by jakex181 »

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Air leak issue possibly fixed... REV HANG
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:45:04 pm »
old thread i know, but worth a shot! did you fix this problem?

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:04 pm »
old thread i know, but worth a shot! did you fix this problem?

Im seeing the same issue and i have been advise to look at the clutch cut off switch, as you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:53 pm »
i think the clutch switch is all part of the clutch master cylinder isn't it?
i started a post a few weeks back about this issue, i am also suffering with a weird noise from the intake and i have a feeling if it is the clutch switch that's at fault then it could also be this that's causing the intake squeal! as i read the clutch switch operates the DV too and it might not be operating as it should quick enough. I'm yet to plug VCDS in to check this though!