Make a donation

Author Topic: Pioneer SPH DA120 - apple CarPlay  (Read 23412 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Pioneer SPH DA120 - apple CarPlay
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 03:57:11 pm »
And does the iphone 6 work with a standard USB cable?  I'm sure I read on Pioneer's website the 6 & 6S need a HDMI cable?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 09:48:30 am »
And does the iphone 6 work with a standard USB cable?  I'm sure I read on Pioneer's website the 6 & 6S need a HDMI cable?
Yes, stock lightning cable is all that's needed.

SteveH

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »
Very interested in this setup.

I had the original AppRadio (still have sitting somewhere actually) and found it beautiful. Lovely screen and the sounds was great (typical for a Pioneer headunit).

My question is, if I pickup everything from Halfords, will it allow me to use MFSW buttons? Or will I need to go elsewhere for that adaptor? The reason I ask is that a mate works in Halfords and might be able to look after me.

Offline Diggeroony

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »
Silly question but where do you run the lightning cable to  & also does the phone charge when plugged in ?

Cheers

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »
Silly question but where do you run the lightning cable to  & also does the phone charge when plugged in ?

Cheers
It's possibly supplied with a usb socket lead that you'd run from the rear of the unit into the glove box. Then plug a lightning cable into that, it'll charge the phone, yes.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:38 pm »

If we use this photo for reference:  https://d11tezxtmr089.cloudfront.net/image/cache/data/products/Fitting%20Kits/Volkswagen/ctkvw01-1-840x840.jpg

The cage slides through the plastic mount which is then screwed into the dash. The outer facia then clips around the edge once the head unit is installed. Colour/material/texture etc. is all a very good match.The lighting in the photo below makes it look slightly darker than the surrounding plastic, but in reality it isn't.

How have you got this flush and not used the pioneer outer trim?

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 05:04:47 pm »

Considering this as an option to save me from the complicated misery and cost of an Rns510 system with Bluetooth.  Do the MFSW controls work with the unit?

Cheers
Dru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had one of these fitted last week and very happy with it! You have to buy an adaptor to enable the steering wheel controls. The volume control works, can't recall using the up/down buttons on the RHS of the steering wheel!

And you? How have you guys done this?

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 05:15:38 pm »
Forum dead?

jharar

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2016, 05:35:21 pm »
HI

I have just installed Pioneer SPH DA 120 in my BMW E91, All working fine Apple car play works as it should do.
Just one thing I cant make it work is the Apps..

I cant figure out How they will work I have downloaded Pioneer App Radio App still nothing happens..
Any Ideas guys??

CoolDudePT

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:08 am »
Hi everyone! I just registered on this forum for this specific topic.

Could someone please tell me what kind of functionality do you get in the steering wheel buttons? And what kind of information is displayed on the MFA+?

I have a RCD500 installed and a very old, nokia bluetooth adapter just below the passenger's seat. Do I need to remove or to upgrade the bluetooth device I have installed?

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 07:47:34 pm »
Is there any more pics of this unit installed.
Might get one for my mk6 but wanted to make sure they suit the dash well

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 01:36:38 pm »
I've just mentioned this unit in another topic...

I'm thinking about getting one and have an Android phone...

I can't find any details specifying whether maps from an android will work as a sat nav? Whether the phone needs constant 3/4G connection? whether you can use a pre-loaded maps app on the phone that will work on the head unit?  Can you input from the headunit, or does it have to go through your phone?  I'm surpised none of the details on Pioneer's own website offer an clues to these questions!

Offline Simkins

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:11 pm »
If we use this photo for reference:  https://d11tezxtmr089.cloudfront.net/image/cache/data/products/Fitting%20Kits/Volkswagen/ctkvw01-1-840x840.jpg

The cage slides through the plastic mount which is then screwed into the dash. The outer facia then clips around the edge once the head unit is installed. Colour/material/texture etc. is all a very good match.The lighting in the photo below makes it look slightly darker than the surrounding plastic, but in reality it isn't.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I'm really keen to know what fascia kit was used in the above pic. I believe it's the connect2 kit but I can't seem to find it online amongst the hundreds of similar kits!

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2017, 07:40:57 am »
Just installed this in my GTi. Used the fitting kit from Dynamic Sounds.

I also have a MFSW and can confirm the with the kit from Dynamic Sounds, I have the following functionality:

Volume controls work
Star button is almost a mute button
Phone button seems to pause music
Ok button seems to change modes on the unit
Arrow buttons skip tracks

The MFD ( I have a high line MFD) only displays the word "Audio" though which is a bit disappointing, but I wasn't expecting much functionality there to be honest.

More functionality on the wheel that I thought I'd get so pretty pleased.

Not pleased with the facia however.

It's mottled plastic rather than smooth, fits well though. So just need to find a facia that matches the sash and I'm a happy bunny.

I also added USB sockets in the blanks next to the ESP and tire pressure buttons, but the unit only reads my iPhone as an iPod and won't activate CarPlay, it has to be a genuine apple cable direct from the unit it would seem.

I'll post some photos up later today

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2017, 08:40:24 am »

Unfortunately, I've yet to figure out how to get the USB sockets to accept my iPhone. The CarPlay device has to be connected to USB1 on the back of the unit, and it has to be a genuine apple cable, so I need to figure out how to get a genuine apple cable to the usb socket on the dash now.

At the minute, I have a cable sticking out of the dash next to the unit near my phone holder, looks a bit untidy, but works.