Make a donation

Author Topic: Pioneer SPH DA120 - apple CarPlay  (Read 23406 times)

Offline GTIFR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Pioneer SPH DA120 - apple CarPlay
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:20 pm »
anyone use one of these and pleased with it?!

Offline Aidi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Pioneer SPH DA120 - apple CarPlay
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »
I had one of the next models up... F960DAB with Carplay.

its a cool feature and easy to use etc.      Just be aware that the Pioneer Avicsycn function which is supposed to allow you to add apps to your headunit has never come into reality.. They keep saying it will, but over a year down the line its still not here.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/news/AVICSYNC/page.html

Apart from that, the Pioneer headunits are very good and easily installed with the correct SOT loom.

Rgds
Aidi

Offline GTIFR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »
Thanks Aidi.

I'm not fussed about other apps. All I want is something that I can use for calls and music from my phone, and use to navigate.

Think I will probably go for it. Easier to install than RNS/RCD510 which is what I was also looking at - given no need for new canbus/bluetooth install/vcds coding.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:06:42 am »

Offline Adamski

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »
I installed my SPH-DA120 this week - only took about half an hour (although I still need to tidy up the microphone cabling). Sound quality is a huge improvement over the standard RCD300, even using standard speakers. The display is very good too. I wanted to stream music and answer calls via Bluetooth, then use Carplay for satnav/audio duties on longer journeys. So far I'm very impressed - seems a no brainer for iPhone users (assuming you won't miss using CD's). I paid £280 for the HU from Amazon, then £60 for a CTKVW01 VW fitting kit from Dynamic Sounds.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »
Good choice of head unit, where did you run the microphone? Do these have DAB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Adamski

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »
I placed the mic at the top of the driver-side pillar, then ran the cable down and under the steering wheel - as shown in this guide:  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=151928.msg1391615#msg1391615

And nope, the SPH-DA120 doesn't have DAB.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:54:25 pm »
CTKVW01 VW fitting kit from Dynamic Sounds.

Do you have a photo of the CTKVW01 fitted to your car?  From the photos of the fitting kit it looks like the fascia is in two parts - one that screws into the dash and some sort of 'cover' plate.  Is this how it works?

What is the colour / material match like to the rest of the dash?

Offline Adamski

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »
If we use this photo for reference:  https://d11tezxtmr089.cloudfront.net/image/cache/data/products/Fitting%20Kits/Volkswagen/ctkvw01-1-840x840.jpg

The cage slides through the plastic mount which is then screwed into the dash. The outer facia then clips around the edge once the head unit is installed. Colour/material/texture etc. is all a very good match.The lighting in the photo below makes it look slightly darker than the surrounding plastic, but in reality it isn't.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:34 pm »
Thanks adamski - very helpful.  I'm looking at a Kenwood, which comes to £330 Inc the fitting kit, I was also contemplating a used Kenwood dnx521 which doesn't need a fascia, but they are about £450-500 used. 

From your photo I think I'll go for the cheaper option as I think it looks great.

jakehufton

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:35 am »
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the pioneer da120 maps on CarPlay need 3G to function? So if you're trying to navigate in an area you're not covered in or your data allowance is low(!) can you still use this function?

Quite like the look of this and some of the other pioneer touch screen systems.

Offline zed4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • New Forest Sports Car Hire
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 VW Golf GTI DSG
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the pioneer da120 maps on CarPlay need 3G to function? So if you're trying to navigate in an area you're not covered in or your data allowance is low(!) can you still use this function?

Quite like the look of this and some of the other pioneer touch screen systems.

I wondered this and couldn't really find an answer. I use the TomTom app on my iPhone and couldn't find out whether this worked with the headunit or not. I've now bought the head unit but I'm waiting for the fitting kit to be delivered.

I'll report back once it's all fitted.
New Forest Sports Car Hire  - TVR Chimaera 400, Caterham Roadsport SV 140, Porsche Cayman S, BMW M135i

Offline Adamski

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 09:36:51 pm »
The phone needs to be connected to either 3/4G or Wi-Fi, otherwise it can't get your location. I connected mine today, then put the phone in airplane mode... it just throws up an error asking you to connect to a network.

Offline zed4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • New Forest Sports Car Hire
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 VW Golf GTI DSG
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:13 am »
I’ve fitted the Pioneer unit now and it’s great. Works perfectly.

It does work with the TomTom app. Although it doesn’t display on the Pioneer screen, the audio does work through it. So we will either just put the phone in the glovebox and just listen to the audible instructions, or we’ll get a Brodit mount and mount the phone next to the stereo. It’s good that you can use Spotify or iPod on the Pioneer and use TomTom on the phone display.

One thing we have noticed, and I don’t know if it’s how I’ve installed it, or it’s just what they do, but when you change the display on the highline display, it also changes the song track. Rather annoying. So if we want to cycle through the trip features (MPG, average speed etc...) then it changes the song track too. Have I installed it incorrectly?

I used the Autoleads steering wheel adapter from Halfords. Should I have bought the Connects2 adapter?
New Forest Sports Car Hire  - TVR Chimaera 400, Caterham Roadsport SV 140, Porsche Cayman S, BMW M135i

Offline Druster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »
Considering this as an option to save me from the complicated misery and cost of an Rns510 system with Bluetooth.  Do the MFSW controls work with the unit?

Cheers
Dru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk