Welcome

Welcome to the most comprehensive MK5 GTI forum on the internet. We have a fantastic "How to" DIY section, VCDS register and some of the most knowledgable mechanics/tuners in the business to help you with your pride and joy.

Founded in October 2008 we pride ourselves on continuing to be one of the very few car forums that is run entirely free from direct forum sponsorship and vastly supported by member donations.

If you are new to the forum please Register and say hello. and visit New Member Intro's and say hello.

Forum News

Forge engine caps
on May 20, 2018, 04:46:40 PM
Anyone know where I can get these caps in chrome? I saw them a few years back before I got my Edition 30 but I've spent weeks looking for some and can only find ones for the mk7 GTI.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Re: Rear brakes DIY - any tips?
Last Poster: GitFlog in Mk5 General Area on Today at 04:31:57 PM
When i did my rears before late years mot with a friend his impact helped us out with that god awful bolt took a good bit to get it out even with his air snapon impact.

At the end of the day give it a go if you cant get it off put it back together and take it to a garage.

Re: RamAir Fitted Idle Issues
Last Poster: DMackie in Performance Modifications on Today at 03:16:30 PM
Well i fitted the N80 valve last night and the car is idling perfectly.

Now to figure out why my parrot system isnt working. Hopefully i just accidentally pulled the plug out when fitting the GPS aerial.

So it wasnt the ram air intake which caused the issue just the fact fitting it made the issue easier to spot.

Now do i get a 2nd hand s3 intercoole

Coolant Temp
Last Poster: Ben2901 in How to Guides / Troubleshooting on Today at 01:05:05 PM
Hi All,

Was having issues with low coolant temp in my ed30. Monitoring via the hidden menu on the dual climate, I was getting 72 degrees whilst on the motorway but dropping away to 67 degrees when coming off throttle /going down hill. I've now had the main thermostat changed and the temp now sits at 85 degrees on the motorway and drops to 83 when pushing on in the car -

Re: Is a sport cat legal?
Last Poster: Pudding in Performance Modifications on Today at 12:41:17 PM
Probably more for California emissions than Europe but a cat right next to the turbo, plus a second cat, is very common on most turbo cars.   First cat heats up way faster that way and the amount of fuel these engines burn, it needs 2 cats anyway to meet the very tough cal' emissions.

I noticed bugger all deleting the first cat.  It trims EGTs down a bit at the top end b

Re: Akispap's black GTI build thread
Last Poster: akispap in Members Rides on Today at 12:13:11 PM
I also did the cam follower. I was hesitating in the beginning but saw some DIYs and decided to give it a go. All good :)
P.S That banjo bolt is a real PITA..

[img width=589 height=786]https://i.imgur

Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
Last Poster: Shoduchi in Mk5 General Area on Today at 11:59:47 AM
New front brakes.  :jumping:

Those are beauties...but not familiar with them or seen them before. Are those this set? https://ww

Re: Ollie's 2012 Rising Blue 6 R
Last Poster: bobby_fodge in MK6 Members Rides on Today at 11:25:31 AM
how did you rate the ps4 tyres as I'm considering them myself.

Re: Missing droplink
Last Poster: mjmallia in Mk5 General Area on Today at 09:37:33 AM
Just dont drive fast and disconnect the other side also.

It will feel a bit wollowy

Re: Mfd hybrid dash
Last Poster: SpudGTI in Mk5 General Area on Today at 07:31:23 AM
You on Facebook?
No not on facebook or anything like that dude

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: 2010 S3 intercooler compatible on mk5 gti?
Last Poster: colesey in MK6 General Area on Today at 07:16:24 AM
Yes, the coolers from both S3 8P and G6R are a straight fit onto mk5 since they all share the PQ35 chassis.

Re: Passat alloy wishbones to mk5 hubs
Last Poster: Shoduchi in Mk5 General Area on Yesterday at 11:38:13 PM
Thanks. I can't see why that kit fits on a cast hub and doesn't on an alloy hub.  :thinking:

I hope Mike can get the bottom of this soon so you can get the new brakes fitted. :smiley:

Re: Edition 30 help
Last Poster: bacillus in Mk5 General Area on Yesterday at 10:27:28 PM
Without the error code one would just be guessing but I suspect you have a faulty fuel pressure sensor that's attached to the hpfp.

Changing VVT gear on MK6 1.4 TSI GT
Last Poster: sbhachu in MK6 General Area on Yesterday at 07:54:01 PM
Hi guys,

I have a 2009 VW Golf MK6 1.4 TSI GT which is due for a cam chain. How often should the VVT inlet camshaft gear be changed? Do they go wrong, is there anyway to tell if it's faulty. If it does need replacing, how hard is it to do? Do you need any special tools to take it off and back on again?

Thanks for any advice.

Retrimmed gearknob
Last Poster: Cosmos in Cosmetic/Interior Modifications on Yesterday at 07:49:33 PM
Has anyone had their ed30 gearknob retrimmed ?
Seen there is someone offering a service to retrim R32 gearknobs which are near identical minus the golfball dimples so shows they do somehow come apart to be able to do it.

Re: Lapiz blue Golf R
Last Poster: howie1987 in MK7 Members Rides on Yesterday at 05:51:24 PM
Small update.

Finally got the brakes and the wheels on.

Chuffed with them, but i can see myself getting the wheels done black in the future.

Was tinkering with the idea of getting the calipers done in yellow. But nearly £300 to get then professionally done i thought was a bit steep. So keeping them all black.

Nextweek got the silenced

Re: Joshy's Ed30 Build Thread
Last Poster: howie1987 in Members Rides on Yesterday at 05:42:15 PM
The front grille was on my to do list. Didn't realise it was in that bad a mess underneath.

Front bumper was off last april when the peron was fitted, but i didn't see it. Really hope that mess wasn't created then as id think twice about using the garage that did.

Anyway great improvements mate. Really adding the final little details to it.

Oh and

Re: DSG - Jerking in 1st and Reverse - Garage Recommendation
Last Poster: teo_parvu in How to Guides / Troubleshooting on Yesterday at 04:48:31 PM
About 450 euros without installation.

Poly bushing rear, worth it?
Last Poster: bobby_fodge in Performance Modifications on Yesterday at 04:45:26 PM
Hi, I have just swapped out old OEM wishbone bushes for poly ones. Has anyone polybushed the rear and if so is it worth the effort as it looks like a ton of work.

Re: 12 Year warranty or not? - VW Hq will answer
Last Poster: GitFlog in Mk5 General Area on Yesterday at 04:15:49 PM
Part of the original VW MK5 GTI handbook that you get when buying the car

VW website

As you can see they are more or le

Shoutbox

As New Kenwood dnx516dabs
£650.00
Single Image
    Collection Only

As New Kenwood dnx516dabs

Not a mark on it , 6 months old . Bought new for £950 ... think you can get them now for £920

So still a very good saving !

Does absolutely everything and is designed exactly for the mk5 , comes with all leads and I’ve bought a new dab Ariel as well

GMP Italia Atom Alloy Wheels Set Of 4, size 19 8.5 et45.
    £300.00
    Postage: £50.00
    Delivery or Collection

GMP Italia Atom Alloy Wheels Set Of 4, size 19 8.5 et45.

3 are buckled and will cost about £50 each to fix, Can't be seen but they are slightly buckled. 4th wheel is straight but has little kerbing shown in the pictures. They have all been coated with ceramic kube bond coating 2 month ago.

These were bought brandnew in jan 2018 from demon-tweeks for £799

I set my heart on oz superturismo's and found out the atom's were buckled. Not that bad tbf and i can't be botherd with hassle of fixing them. But i did get them checked and can be fixed as no sign of buckled by looking at them so not that bad.

Vw golf r mk7 front calipers.
    £300.00
    Single Image
      Postage: £20.00
      Delivery Only

Came off my golf r mk7. I believe there the same as the older s3s and r32s and fit on the mk5.

The passenger side caliper was sticking a little. I had already bought new 4 pots so i didn't look into it so it could just be a quick fix.

Car has just hit 40k miles. Can also send the brake pads aswell which were only on for 2 month.
      Mk5 VW Golf 2.0 (TFSI Turbo) GTI DSG Tornado red – 112,800 miles – Stage 2 remap (including DSG remap)
      £4200.00
      Single Image
        Postage: £0.00
        Delivery or Collection

Sorry for some reason I am having troubles posting images here (not accepting my image hosting site URL??!) so until I can work that out - check it here - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-mk6/volkswagen-golf-mk5-gti-------------------2005/8699754

Or check the album of all images, with the good, bad and ugly in there in gnarly detail - https://ibb.co/album/hAsxaa

PRICE DROP FOR QUICK SALE (need deposit for new car!)

Update: Bluetooth working perfectly! It was me being a numpty
        Original Monza wheel available (with excellent winter tyres currently) - buyer can choose or for a good offer I might even throw them in...
        RossTech VCDS included

I AM willing to deliver if it's not too far and near a train station - obviously I would need to see a decent offer for that to cover my costs.

FOR SALE - £4,200 or nearest sensible offer (come on guys, it's a steal but I need the dosh!)

Mk5 VW Golf 2.0 (TFSI Turbo) GTI DSG Tornado red – 112,800 miles – Stage 2 remap (including DSG remap)

A much-loved car with all modification work done by local mapping legends Streetwise. No expense spared. Has been a faithful family car as well as a roaring nutjob when I have had the chance, but I haven’t had much chance since my son was born and I am getting a company car allowance and need the dosh for a deposit on a new car so it’s sadly time to say goodbye. Has some minor signs of age physically (see photos and full description for details) but is a really good-looking car still – I love the look of these. VW really did get it right with the mk5.

And this is a (tameable) beast underneath. The mods have been done properly, no mad stuff, just the right amount and in the right areas. Steering feedback, switchable power (with SPS Switch included in sale), full heated seats in leather, multi-function wheel, full highline dash, a lovely lowered look with bigger, modern wheels (but original wheels with winter tyres available too!), VCDS for diagnostics, and upgraded nav DAB system, and the right amount of noise from the exhaust and air intake. No expense spared – if something needed doing, I did it. Full Service History. Annual oil and filter service. MOT October

The mods (all professionally installed by Streetwise of Bristol)

STAGE 2 Revo Remap -  270 PS & 297 lbft torque - with DSG remap and Revo Technik SPS Switch (so you can switch the map off and on or tweak)
        Revo air intake
        Lowered 20mm on Eibach coilovers
        18” mk7 style alloy wheels w/ nearly new Pirelli P Zero tyres
        (also have the original 17” Monzas with excellent Yokohama winter tyres with full tread - buyer can choose)
        Recent Brembo brake discs all round (less than 20,000 miles ago)
        Full Milltek performance exhaust with sports cat resonator (fully legal)
        DNX525 Sat Nav / DAB Radio / Bluetooth / SD Card / CD / Telephone w/ reversing camera
        Multi-function steering wheel with flappy paddles
        Gen3 steering rack in October 2015
        Full highline dash and updated ECU to accommodate
        Full Ross-tech VCDS – do your own diagnostics! (cost £300+ new!)    
        Powered boot pop

Recent work

New gearbox mount, driveshaft and lower arms and ball joints (wheels balanced)
        Replaced cam follower and DV and installed PCV Delete prior to remap
        Brand new Yuasa battery - £130 worth
        MOT until October 2018
        Oil and filter service carried out in October 2017 – full service 11,000 miles ago (approx. 9,000 miles to go) – I change oil and filters every 12 months
        New steering sensor – 6 months ago
        All required work done as and when needed

The good

Black Vienna leather heated seats
        Original VW bottle opener
        Front centre armrest, vents & cup holders
        Rear armrest
        Hold button on key to open and close all windows remotely
        The amazing whoosh from the air intake! (especially on launch control!!)
        Automatic lights / rain sensor
        Cruise control
        Free set of fully fitted car shades from Palm Automotive (like Sunniboy)
        Red LEDs in footwells – gives a nice GTI glow! (white LEDs elsewhere so it’s not too eeevil!!)
        Full set of VW Golf official rubber mats front and rear, great condition
        6-disc CD changer but isn’t connected anymore – easily done if you wanted to but I mostly listen to Spotify via Bluetooth

The bad (all documented in pictures for close-up, gnarly detail - just ask and I'll send them)

Alloys could do with a refurb – nothing drastic – depends how fussy you are
        Headlights are cloudy – I paid £52.00 18 months ago to have them done so not a big job (really common on mk5 GTI)

Small amount of swirling and some scratching and some sun damage on rear bumper - £150 for a new bumper but honestly it looks a lot worse in the pictures (from previous owner loading boot like a clod)

Buckle rash tear on driver’s side seat bolster (easily repairable and when you are getting in and out of the car you don’t see it – again, looks a lot worse in the pictures)
        2-3 really small stone chips in paintwork
        O/S mirror glass has very veru small chip out of it – doesn’t cause any visibility problems whatsoever but you might want to replace – see pictures
        N/S wing mirror casing has very tiny black scuff – cheap and easy to replace but I wouldn’t bother
        The gearshift cover is slightly scraped - common issue but I can throw in a can of Plastidip to sort this – will take any numpty less than an hour but I am not that numpty)
        One of the blades on the rear passenger air vents is twisted – can probably be replaced but I’m never in the back!!
        Only one key

The (not really that) ugly
        N/S Headlight housing is very slightly out of line – I am sure this is an easy fix for someone and is from when Halfrauds replaced a bulb (I was being lazy!) – I just haven’t bothered because it’s not noticeable – price reflects this probably needs someone to look at it – maximum 2 hours’ labour

I’ve been as honest as possible about the bad stuff because I don’t want anyone to feel like they don’t know what they’re looking at, but don’t get the wrong idea - the good outweighs the bad with this bad (good) boy. If you are looking for a well-looked-after, sorted, modified mk5 GTI that you can have some fun with but also potter round the shops without looking like a complete hoonigan, this is the one. What else can you get for £4.5k that is this much fun and this practical?

Central Bristol - no tyrekickers – serious enquiries only – call me on my mobile or drop me an email – I am also available around Derbyshire so if you are in that area and fancy a look, give me a shout and I’ll try to organise.
        Sold
        FK Silverline Coilovers
        £150.00
        Collection Only

Hi all, Sold my edition 30 the other month to move to something a little bit more practical whilst buying our first home. Off the back of that and sorting through storage I've found a few bits I've collected over the years. Give me a shout if you've got questions about anything! All listed for collection in the Kent area (Ashford/Maidstone) although I can make arrangements for the items to be in Whitstable/Herne bay if needed. I'm happy to courier all items but this will need to be organised by the buyer, the smaller items I can post but these charges will also be covered by the buyer. I can provide quotes based on location.

Purchased in 2014 but was not fitted to car until 2015. Was on my edition 30 for 2 years, covering roughly 16,000 miles. All working perfectly just needing a quick wipe over.

RRP £450 from Vemon Motorsport when purchased.

Located in Ashford, willing to travel to maidstone, can also arrange to be in Canterbury, Whitstable or Herne bay.

Buyer to arrange courier - I can wrap items but will not be responsible for damages.
        Sold
        Blueflame Suitcase Delete *Price Reduced - Make me an offer*
        £100.00
        Postage: undefined
        undefined

Fitted for a year before being replaced with a turbo back exhaust. Loads of clips of the sound online which does the car a treat if wanting to stick with the stock cat. Diameter of pipe is slightly larger than stock so will need to be fitted with a step down, I have lost this piece.

RRP - £250

Located in Ashford, willing to travel to Maidstone, can also arrange to be in Canterbury, Whitstable or Herne bay.

Buyer to arrange courier - I can wrap items but will not be responsible for damages.
        Sold
        R32 - Front Calipers & Carriers. *Price Reduced - Make me an offer*
        £200.00
        Postage: undefined
        undefined

Front two calipers in stock red colour. Pistons moving freely and come with stock lines attached. Removed as I fitted a full set which I had reconditioned before purchase of the car. Removed at 65-70K miles, unsure of when fitted. Also have some pads which will be included in sale. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Located in Ashford, willing to travel to Maidstone, can also arrange to be in Canterbury, Whitstable or Herne bay.

(Pictured with GTI rears, not included in this item, see above)
        GTI Calipers Front & Rear *Price Reduced - Make me an offer*
        £80.00
        Collection Only

Same as above, all in working condition, fronts removed before I purchased the car, rears removed at 65-70K miles; unsure of when fronts where removed. Will come with everything I have in storage, I believe there are some used pads but no discs. Rears will need new lines.

Ideal upgrade for any non GTI.

(Pictured with r32 fronts, not included in this item)
        GTI Lower Grills
        £15.00
        Single Image
          Collection Only

As title, lower grills for fog light surround, in good condition with no scrapes or cracks.

Unsure of shipping costs will have to quote on location.
          Various Service Items
          £20.00
          Collection Only

All parts for GTI // Edition 30 and are brand new. I am willing to split but not sure if it will be worth it for the postage.

Bosch Oil Filter
          Crossland Pollen Filter
          Mahle Fuel Filter
          Golf Boot Badge/Handle
          £15.00
          Collection Only

From an 05 model so logo is flat not raised. Little bit of white worm as can be seen in the images. 
          Front Passenger window regulator (5 door) *Price Reduced - Make me an offer*
          £20.00
          Collection Only

Built unit for straight swap into a 5 door, bought for a 3 door but the pulleys are too short. No motor included.

Standard non cruise indicator stalk.
          £10.00
          Collection Only

As above, part no can be seen in images. Removed from an 05 golf in 2013.
          3dr Car mats
          £10.00
          Single Image
            Collection Only

Non genuine mats, brand new and never fitted. Bought two pairs to use in winter driving but never got around to using these. Perfect fit for Oval holders.
            Sold
            Genuine Edition 30 Badge Brand New
            £20.00
            Single Image
              Delivery Only

Does what it say on the tin. Price is with 1st class postage included to anywhere in the UK. Give me a shout if you have any questions!
              Sold
              4 x Genuine VW alloy centre caps Brand New
              £10.00
              Single Image
                Delivery Only

Price includes 1st class delivery to anywhere in the UK. Give me a shout if you have any questions!