Make a donation

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Mk5 General Area / Re: WTF!! Has my car been mapped?? :|
« Last post by ZoliWorks on Today at 12:06:31 am »
With VCDS, look at boost specified, boost actual, intake air mass g/s and actual torque. You can use intake air mass and torque to estimate BHP. Take the car for a pull in 3rd gear from 3k to 5.5-6k and you should get a good enough reading. Or if you can do the same in 4th gear, it's even better.

My cracked k03 turbo, on a stage 2 map, was underboosting by 0.3-0.4 bars throughout the powerband and making somewhere between 220-230hp
« Last post by Reeceyy on Yesterday at 11:06:18 pm »
Yeah my turbos got a crack in it too! What bhp you reckon it could be running??
Mk5 General Area / Re: Stage 2+ K04 Conversion Burning Oil
« Last post by GVK on Yesterday at 10:56:04 pm »
How much we talking ? I seem to remember reading that VW state TFSI can use up to 1 litre every 1000km (621miles)
Mk5 General Area / Stage 2+ K04 Conversion Burning Oil
« Last post by K03MK5 on Yesterday at 10:14:16 pm »
Hi all. Recently completed the K04 build and loving it.  Only thing I've notice is its burning oil like there is no tommorow.  Normal????
« Last post by ZoliWorks on Yesterday at 10:07:19 pm »
Your car is stage 1/2 mapped. With a stock tune, there's close to no wheelspin. With a stage 1 tune AND a broken turbo, I was spinning all the way in 2nd gear. I could come off throttle then floor it again and it would spin again.
Mk5 General Area / Re: Milltek vs Pipewerx
« Last post by ZoliWorks on Yesterday at 10:04:52 pm »
Yeah that's the one. Tho it's funny. The rest of the exhaust on the Jetta is stock while the downpipe is custom all the way back to under the rear seats where it's connected to the exhaust. On the golf the whole system is stock, minus the cat, which is a sports cat.
Yeah it's definitely more punchy, that's fur sure. It has power past 6k and pulls throughout the powerband (2nd and 3rd gear). I don't regret the swap one bit. It sounds way better but that might just be because it's pushing 1.6 bar pressure almost all the time.
The throttle body was cleaned and tested, moves nicely. The MAF doesn't show any signs of being worn out just yet.

Now, regarding the loss of power and the leak. There is no leak. The map the car had demanded way too much fuel pressure and my fueling system can't keep up. We've changed the map so the car no longer stalls when coming off throttle or clutching in. It also drives a bit better but it still cuts out all the time past 5k in 4th gear or above. The map is still demanding 130 bar pressure sometimes and the stock fueling system fails to make that. I've seen it drop all the way down to 67 bar even and the idle pressure is 50!!!
Now the reason the car was stalling or idling rough when coming off throttle is because the ECU is still demanding the same fuel pressure off-throttle. Why VW did this? I don't know. What I do know is that if the fueling system can keep up, the car idles fine and doesn't stall.

Since there are no issues to speak of really, I've decided to keep it like this rather than restrict power as I rarely ever need to rev past 5k. With my daily commute being mostly city driving, I'm fine for a while. If there were no fuel cuts, the car would make between 290 and 300hp according to the tuner. It's definitely putting down power now, no questions asked, just not past 5k.

Next step, sometimes in the coming months, because I've spent way too much this past months, is upgraded fuel pump internals and a stronger fuel rail pressure valve.

TLDR: Car loses power past 5k rpm not because of vacuum leak but because of fuel cuts.

Side note
I've been switching between the DV+ and the revision D valves. Both can hold pressure equally well but the DV+ makes it sound like a supra when coming off throttle because it can't let out pressure fast enough. My mechanic/tuner said this isnt all that bad for the turbo, but the ECU doesn't like it one bit. It's constantly throwing "pressure release valve mechanical failure" errors. The rev D is fine but sounds average, as expected. I've switched back to the D for now but if I want to show off the car, I'm putting the DV+ on. It's a 2 minute job anyway since the relocation kit brings the valve to the front of the engine, right next to the throttle body.
Mk7 General Area / Re: Where would you go with £23k
« Last post by pudding on Yesterday at 05:50:28 pm »
They are all good choices if you want to stay with VAG.  The RS3 will have you at the Shell station quite often and you'll have boy racers up your backside constantly  :grin:  They go and sound amazing though.

I'm the same age and went from an Edition 30 to an F30 330d, mainly due to the massively increased mileage, but it's proven to be a quick and fun car.

I would definitely get an M out of your system if you can afford it.  Running costs aren't that bad and they're easy to work on if you like DIY. Much easier than my ED30 ever was!

Maybe look at leasing if you don't do huge miles? Pretty reasonable deals on 8000 mile plans.

Mk5 General Area / Re: MK5 GTI - Just completely died whilst driving!
« Last post by pudding on Yesterday at 05:37:01 pm »
Good find!  Pretty rare for relays to go on these cars, and there's plenty of em'  :grin:
Mk5 General Area / Re: 62% insurance increase anyone?
« Last post by pudding on Yesterday at 05:32:20 pm »
Age didn't appear to be a factor in my case as I'm 51 with a clean license (god knows how) and live in a low crime area.

Adding my missus brought it down though, not that she ever drives my cars  :grin: 

Annoying as my ED30 was always around £350, so it must just be a BMW tax or something!  Too many road captains crashing their remapped M140is maybe.

In the end the cheapest cover was BMWs own insurance bizarrely enough.  LV= who I was with last year refused to quote  :grin:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10