Make a donation

Author Topic: Leather Seats or Tartan  (Read 20222 times)

Offline McKay88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Leather Seats or Tartan
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:03 am »
Tartan without a doubt with the winter pack so u have the heated seats as well  :innocent:

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:31:47 am »
ED30 combo ones are the best but obviously you need an ED30.

Standard cloth tartan are the best choice imo. Never liked leather, too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Plus the tartan looks quality in the GTI (MK1 style).

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:28 am »

I agree, here in Spain leather not a great option, its tartan (not sure of the clan tho.........) for me, just like the Mark I.........

....It's The GTI Clan  :grin: - That's something else I like about the Interlagos 'tartan' cloth: It pays homage to the first Mk GTI's.

It's also very practical. No doubt that the Ed30 combi with 'leather' sides is even more practical. I was in a Mk4 R32 at the weekend: Very comfy leather seats but somewhat slippy.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
Leather looks good, but is cold in winter, and likely to catch you off guard in shorts in the summer..... however a friend with a Passat with leather comments, that it's great where kids are concerned, as you can easily wipe it clean.

It's all down to personal preference, but I'd take cloth seats given a choice in pretty much any car.

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:22:56 pm »
To me leather is always percieved as the "Premium" option although in practice as stated above, its hot in summer and cold in winter.  You can also slide about in leather!  :signLOL:
I love the standard tartan cloth seats as the hold me firmly although that might be more to do with my 16st body  :wink:

Given the choice I would have the standard ED30 interior as the body is cloth - warm and grippy with the leather bolsters - premium feel.

My ultimate seats are still the Pirelli ones purely for look and rariety  :driver:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

diesel junior

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:42 pm »

I agree, here in Spain leather not a great option, its tartan (not sure of the clan tho.........) for me, just like the Mark I.........

....It's The GTI Clan  :grin: - That's something else I like about the Interlagos 'tartan' cloth: It pays homage to the first Mk GTI's.

It's also very practical. No doubt that the Ed30 combi with 'leather' sides is even more practical. I was in a Mk4 R32 at the weekend: Very comfy leather seats but somewhat slippy.

Thanks Robin, Interlagos couldnt think of the word!! I remember my neighbour back in 1983 had this green and yellow tartan a bit like the Gordon clan i loved it! Whens the next dose of Animal Magic photos due on your photography thread BTW?

Offline davegixer

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:42 pm »
Tartan without a doubt with the winter pack so u have the heated seats as well  :innocent:

Couldn't agree more!!!   :notworthy:
2005 Black 3 door GTI.
2006 Blue/White GSXR 1000 K6.
2006 Red CRF 450x.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »
The interlagos seat material was one of the features that attracted me to the MKV GTI. VW intentionally went back to their GTI roots when creating the MKV and the material design was one of those little details taken from the original icon. The red trim in the grill was another.

Offline Peppermuncher

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:26 am »
Every time I slide into the car the seats make me smile! :happy2: So much better than leather, leather reminds me of tools with bluetooth head sets in! :stupid:

Offline d0mokun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • Merovingian Ninja
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:17 am »
Having played with all types of seats over the past month or so, I've got to put a vote down for the tartan/ leather combo. The fabric is lovely and soft, and the heating only makes them more comfy.

That said, the full leather seats are pretty nice too- though I do think the hark back pattern is a neat touch on the GTi.

Dan.
My current cars are:
08 S5 4.2 ¦ 79 Trabant P601L

Artist and car lover.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 09:19:15 am »
GTI 'Tartan' cloth, called 'Interlagos' for me. Pays homage to the original GTI upholstery cloth though slightly different:

The most durable seat upholstery will be the cloth with leather bolsters combo (Ed30 style), but the Interlagos and cloth surrounds are still looking good after 104k miles. Personally, I don't like the slippy feel of leather or its stickiness in very hot weather.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Timi8888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:38 am »
Leather seats are horrible in the summer - too hot and horrible in the winter - too cold.

But saying that I would still always choose leather over cloth!

Just looks and feels classier.
Sig to big.

Offline Shewie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:47 am »
Personally I think the ED30 half leather works best, although my wife wouldn't sanction it as she thought the tartan seats looked dreadful....

When I was looking for a standard GTi I specifically looked for cars with heated leather as I think they are a big improvement over the full cloth, but that's just a personal choice of course (I'd have make an exception for these bad boys though!!!  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54651.0.html )

If you have small kids like, me then the other benefit of leather is that they're easier to keep clean!

Paul

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:02 am »

Leather seats are horrible in the summer - too hot and horrible in the winter - too cold.

But saying that I would still always choose leather over cloth!

Just looks and feels classier.

....I guess you prefer looks to driving comfort. ETTO.

The righthand bolster on my bad boy Recaro driving seat (cloth as my pic posted earlier) is in poor shape but it still supports me well when driving and so I'm not too fussed. Neither am I fussed that the Recaro's logos are .:R rather than GTI. Recaro's are as rare as rockin' horse poo and so buy them when/if you can!

Recaro's for sale: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54651.0.html

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:43 am »
When I was looking for my GTI all I was interested in was leather, "hated" the tartan with a passion.  When one came up that was a brilliant price but had tartan I thought I'd at least go and check it out.

Instantly loved them to be honest, I think pictures don't do them justice and they look so much better in person.
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.