Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 490420 times)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2009, 08:58:08 pm »
Hi peeps new to the forum but this thread is awesome the work and effort youve put in jonny is amazing, great read and cant wait for the end product!!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »
same here, i take it you work bloody hard then  :happy2:

....I think that Jonny is a 22yo racing driver - He drives Aston Martins. I thought this was common knowledge.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »
Hey all..

Got the car back from VW Racing, again fantastic service etc and all the work has been completed to the highest standard!

No pics as yet but ill be doing a big update on all of the work completed over the next couple of days when I get a chance.

All I have to say is WOW!! The car is amazing now.. 100% transformed with the Diff as you would expect, really glad I went for this!

....No surprises about being happy with VWR :happy2:

The diff is a very underestimated mod and does seriously transform a FWD car.

There really wasn't anything meaningful to photograph when I was there on Thursday, except this! : -

^ Water which was in your damper!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:06 pm »
Update..

The car is fantastic now, already sent Mark from VWR the list of parts / work to be completed on the next visit!! So excited ha..

So I picked up the car on Friday from the VWR premises, the car had a fresh set of spark plugs, the engine had its first service and the car was corner weighted and set up! The car weighed in at 1330kg, with half a tank of fuel, so around 1310kg with a dry tank! I have calculated that I have removed just over 110kg from the car, so I was expecting the weight to now sit at around 1260kg, obviously its a little porkier from the factory than VW make out..

Also I had some lovely goodies fitted!

The Quaife ATB LSD diff is amazing, quite good fun leaving two fat black lines behind you!! The biggest difference is felt when exiting the corners, its amazing, but just as you would expect really, having had 1 wheel drive for so long, its nice to have both front tyres working for you at the same time! Also grip in a straight line is improved 100%!

There is no pulling when driving normally on steady throttle as the diff is a gear type and the only movement you feel is when your flat out over an un-even road, even then its really not a problem, this is a massively worth while mod, even for a standard car!

I had one of the front damper inserts replaced as it was soft (from new) its far better now, but still, im kind of waiting to see how long they last! Bit disappointed really, but you get what you pay for, and even the Koni dampers dont seem to be great! Not what you would expect from such a name..

I also had the VWR 'Race' lower engine mount fitted, this is amazing, for sure its not for everyone as its completely solid, so the vibrations are a little harsh on pulling away..

Picture shows the 'road' gearbox and engine mounts and the 'race' lower engine mount, there is a 'road' lower engine mount but as I already had the full VF engineering kit this wouldn't have really been a big step forward.

The fitting is a little more involved than any of the other lower engine mounts, the intermediate sub frame is dropped and the old insert is pressed out, then the new solid aluminum mount is pressed in.. there is ZERO movement now, the car is now amazingly precise and responsive on throttle, and forget about any wheel hop!!!

I had a Forge 'Twintercooler' kit delivered to VWR but unfortunately there wasn't quite time to fit it.. Its amazing piece of kit, really great finish, and from all of the reports I have read its going to make the car run much cooler, which should make some great increases in power and torque throughout the rev range! Ill write another update once I have this fitted, should be this week as I need it for Santa Pod this Sunday!!

I went for the black hoses to keep the subtle look. That core is going to look amazing behind the middle grille!! Very mean!!

The last few things that I had done at VWR was to remove the rear wiper from the car, this was for a couple of reasons. One I really like the look of it, makes the rear end much cleaner! And two it saves a bit of weight! Then I had the rear bumper bar removed, this is a really heavy steel bar which sits behind the rear bumper, it would prevent the bumper from cracking in a little hit, it plays no part in safety from rear impact etc, if it did then I wouldn't have removed it.. It weighed in at just over 10kg's so well worth removing!

(Excuse the dirty car)

Oh! And.. Got myself a little more of the Gold heat tape and finished off the intake pipe! A custom heatshield is being made as we speak which should feature a bit more GOLDD! And im having a venturi cold air feed from a set of open fog light grilles made up too.. This should keep the filter nice and cool, and away from the radiant heat of the coolant pipes that it currently sits above..

So that's about it for now really! Heres a couple of pics from the other day, a local meet.. Shows the car at the new ride height and you can just about spot the exhaust too.. Also gone back to the chrome VW badge, just looked too much having it all black on the front end, much happier with the look now!

Going to have a couple of little bits done this week for the Santa Pod meet, which ill keep a secret until then haha..

Jonny
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
Very nice pal.. When are the wheels getting sprayed? Thought that was happening whilst at VWR?  Did you get it on the rollers at the weekend?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »
Very nice pal.. When are the wheels getting sprayed? Thought that was happening whilst at VWR?  Did you get it on the rollers at the weekend?

The RR day was canceled! As the RR stopped working correctly a couple of days prior to the event, really a shame as I was looking forward to finding out what the car was running with all of the latest mods..

In regards to the wheels I couldn't decide mate lol.. And with the plans for the 9" rims and 255/35/18's it seems a little daft to have mine painted up etc..

Anyways as a result of the above my wheels will be for sale, anyone who's interested let me know  :happy2:

Jonny
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:18:26 pm by jonnyc »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2009, 04:17:24 pm »
Jonny,

Let me see what these new brakes are going to cost me and I'll see if I can afford your wheels too? What's your timescale?
Sideways yo!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:39 pm »
WOW ,I'm amazed how much of a visual difference removing the rear wiper makes  :surprised:  :happy2:
Car looks stunning jonny, looks match the awesome mods.
(also interested in your wheels too ... lol)

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2009, 06:55:41 pm »
Looking great Jonny. Can't wait to see it in the flesh on Sunday  :driver:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »
jonny, is removing the rear wiper an easy job? also whered you get a bung to fit?

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2009, 05:09:23 pm »
Update..

Hey all..

Parts for the Forge DV arrived this morning so I thought I would install it today and whilst I was there sort out the MAF heat shield and make a filter heat shield while I was at it..

I already had an Evoms heat shield sat in the garage, and after a lot of cutting up I managed to make it work with the custom intake system on my car, I'm pleased with how it fits now! I also used it as a mounting point for the N75 valve from the Forge DV, keeps it out of the way and looks nice and neat..

(This is a pic from when I had the Forge DV on my S3, I have mounted the N75 valve in a similar way)

Once that was done I turned my attention onto the filter heat shield, as I said it required a lot of playing around with to make it fit, but now its in, and solid..

Then I thought that I would neaten up the MAF heat shield. First of all I cleaned it all up and then wrapped the whole heat shield in Gold heat tape, apart from looking good this stuff really works well at keeping the heat out of where you dont want it!!

After a drive out in the car it definitely feels stronger as a result on the Forge DV being installed, seems to pull harder mid range and the throttle response has improved also. There was nothing wrong with the standard DV on inspection but for sure IMO the Forge DV holds boost more efficiently and as a result the car is even more mental than before!

Also all of the work with the heat shields now means that after a 30 minute blast everything was cold to the touch.

The finishing touch to the intake will be a 76mm Venturi cold air feed routed from an open fog grille on the passenger side, directly to the air filter..

I also have my Forge 'Twintercooler' to fit, then its going to be super cool!! Should really make a good difference!

On a side note has anyone installed one of the forge twin coolers? How long did it take you? Easy job?

Thanks

Jonny

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »
jonny, is removing the rear wiper an easy job? also whered you get a bung to fit?

Im pretty sure it is yeah. It was done whilst the car was in at VWR though.. They had the bungs and did it all for me  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2009, 05:13:58 pm »

....I think that VWR did it for him [Jonny just confirmed this ^]. Rear wipers aren't needed on race cars. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without a rear wiper on a hatchback for road use but ETTO.

Race Polo : -

Offline Merlinman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2009, 05:17:01 pm »
What's that scruffy 'pink' car doing on the lift?  :laugh:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »
ive installed the S3 cooler on my gti, took me about 5 1/2 hours but i think i could do it in about 4 now. its pritty straight forward, front bumper and grill can be off in 15 mins, then its just taking you time and following any instructions, and also keeping track of all the screws that you take out  :ashamed:

i think the twintercooler ill be quicker(easier) than the S3 one as you will be keeping the std cooler. so not as much work. but if your doing this (and you obv aint strapped for cash) why not combine the S3 cooler with the forge twintercooler. they youl be verry cooooooooooooooool :scared:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,